1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Approximately how long does the HD copy take?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by MeSue, Oct 13, 2010.

1. MeSue

MeSue Legend

Oct 7, 2007
    FL
    I am replacing my external drive and plan to copy the old drive to the new one using the instructions in this forum. One thing I did not see in the instructions was how long it takes. I will be copying a 750 GB drive that is 44% full using the eSATA connections on my desktop PC. Does anyone have a general idea of how long it might take? I want to do it ASAP because the old drive is messing up so bad, but will wait until after tonight's shows to start if it is going to take many hours. Thanks.

2. paul91

paul91 Legend

Sep 27, 2006
    It depends on a few factors, computer speed, hard drive speed etc.

I copied a 500gb that was almost full which is about the same amount of data your 44% full 750gb is and it took 2-3 hours

3. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    If everything goes according to plan, plan on 4-5 hours or so of actual downtime....

4. MeSue

MeSue Legend

Oct 7, 2007
    FL
    Thanks guys, I thought I had enough time to start, but when I type the first linux command I get a permission denied message.

I thought it might have something to do with having the drives on eSATA, so I connected them internally and it does the same thing.

I've searched this entire forum for the phrase permission denied and can't find anything.

NEVER MIND... I realized my stupidity. Missed the formatting step on the new drive.

5. MeSue

MeSue Legend

Oct 7, 2007
    FL
    well, that wasn't it. I still get permission denied after typing:
    mkdir /mnt/fap

6. MeSue

MeSue Legend

Oct 7, 2007
    FL
    Copying now after making a new gparted live CD with an older version.

7. MeSue

MeSue Legend

Oct 7, 2007
    FL
    Mine took somewhere between 3 and 4 hours once it go going. Thanks for the guidance. I did end up having to boot to the internal to catch Survivor, but no big deal.