1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

aquiring guide info

Discussion in 'DIRECTV SD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by speedy4022, Mar 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mar 1, 2006 #1 of 34
    speedy4022

speedy4022 Legend

Jan 26, 2004
    I had this show up last night and caused a missed recording and I had to use the reset button because it was froze. Anyone else have this problem?

2. Mar 1, 2006 #2 of 34
    Cesatech

Cesatech New Member

Jun 4, 2004
    My R-15 has done the same thing every sunday night since I bought it in January. Only way I found to get rid of it was to push the reset button. (mine's an R15-300). This problem was the main reason I bought an R10 with Tivo I found at a walmart store a couple of weeks ago. I'm gald to hear I'm not the only one with this annoying problem.

3. Mar 1, 2006 #3 of 34
    ejohnson

ejohnson AllStar

Jan 4, 2006
    mine has done it a few times in the past week or so. It doesn't lock up though, if I wait it out, everything is back in a couple minutes. ?? Luckily, I didn't really care about what I was watching anyway, and nothing was recording at the time.

4. Mar 2, 2006 #4 of 34
    Clint Lamor

Clint Lamor Hall Of Fame

Nov 15, 2005
    What show are you referring to? Or am I jjust missing some part of this conversation? I am not sure whats being referred to here.

5. Mar 2, 2006 #5 of 34
    Bobman

Bobman Hall Of Fame

Jan 3, 2006
    Mine did something like that before but not since the 10a3 update. I never had to reset, you just wait until its done.

6. Mar 2, 2006 #6 of 34
    Bobman

Bobman Hall Of Fame

Jan 3, 2006
    Before this last update every now and then the R-15 screen would go blank and show a message about getting guide data and say something like if it doesnt fix itself in a few minutes to reset the box. I dont remember the exact message but its something like that.

I had forgot about this error until this thread started.

7. Mar 2, 2006 #7 of 34
    cabanaboy1977

cabanaboy1977 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    I wonder if this has anything to do with my lost of guide data last night? I didn't have to reset it but when I went to check the todo list on the bedroom R15 it only had lasts nights data and the rest of the guide data was gone like it had be reset.

8. Mar 2, 2006 #8 of 34
    Clint Lamor

Clint Lamor Hall Of Fame

Nov 15, 2005
    Hmmm something new every day with this box. :)

9. Mar 3, 2006 #9 of 34
    ejohnson

ejohnson AllStar

Jan 4, 2006
    It wasn't any specific show, It was more like it lost the signal, but in perfectly normal weather and for no apparent reason. The TV screen just went black in the middle of watching live TV (no button presses, or anything) with a message in the bottom right that said something like "acquiring satelite info". Changed channels up & down a few numbers and they were the same. Within a couple minutes the picture was back.

I didn't look way ahead in my guide data to see if it was affected. The immediate area was fine.

10. techNoodle

techNoodle AllStar

Nov 15, 2005
    I have seen this as well, with my R15-300. The guide is trying to acquire data, but when I press the GUIDE button, everything is there. The only way I have found to get rid of this message is to hit the panic (red) button. I think this is just another annoying bug in the software.

11. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    R15-500, and it did this tonight (for the first time as far as I know). Had a highlighted "more info" tab, and pressed select which gave the message about hitting reset if it didn't complete soon. Then the message went away and everything was back to normal. The guide was there all along.

Carl

12. Bobman

Bobman Hall Of Fame

Jan 3, 2006
    This happened to me again last night. I had thought the new update fixed it but I guess not.

13. Clint Lamor

Clint Lamor Hall Of Fame

Nov 15, 2005
    I wonder if this could have something to do with some of these lockups. I noticed that when I didn't have anything hooked up to either tuner on my machine right after I moved that my box would lock up all the time. After I got one tuner hooked up the lockups went away again.

14. Bobman

Bobman Hall Of Fame

Jan 3, 2006

It might and could also account for some partial recordings people have. If I see the message once a month I wonder how many times it is happening that I dont see it.

15. cabanaboy1977

cabanaboy1977 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    I think you might have something there. Anytime you reset/unplug the box and it's still recording you only end up with the second half of a show not two partials like all other dvr's.

16. Clint Lamor

Clint Lamor Hall Of Fame

Nov 15, 2005
    I would like to know if others have the same lockup issue when you remove the SAT lines from your unit as I did. I had it hooked up for about 3 days with no SAT lines while I waited for DirecTV to came and install the new dish for me after my move.

17. Bobman

Bobman Hall Of Fame

Jan 3, 2006

I will try it if I remember when I get home. So I just unplug both lines and it locks up or what should I look for ?

18. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Are you guys unplugging the units b4 attaching or removing the sat cables? Thats SOP for any of the receivers....you should never have live power the receivers/or powered multiswitches for that matter, when connecting/disconnecting cables

19. Clint Lamor

Clint Lamor Hall Of Fame

Nov 15, 2005
    Mine was powered down before the cables where disconnected. I was moving so it got packed up. You just shut the machine down undo the sat lines then turn it back on. When it gets to the acquiring signal part hit exit then do whatever. Now turn the DVR off then try and turn it back on.

20. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Kanyon, thats my point unless I'm misunderstanding you. Powering down is not good enough, they need to be unplugged, or at least have no power going to the units at all, like shutting off the UPS or surge protector, or however you have it connected...hopefully I understood what you meant and you understand what I mean now....

IOW, they should be disconnected from electricity when you connect/disconnect the sat cables....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.