1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Archiving from a bad box

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by ericlhyman, Aug 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ericlhyman

ericlhyman Mentor

Jul 11, 2003
    If you have a box that needs to be replaced, is there a way to archive recorded programs other than the very slow real-time save to VCR method? Is there an e-sata or USB alternative?

2. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Sorry... The HR20's digital rights management makes that impossible.

3. morphy

morphy Legend

Jun 5, 2007
    I wonder if one could buy an identical drive to what is inside the HR20 (not sure which brand/model) and place it inside, keeping the old drive for yourself and putting it in the new one? :D Obviously a breach of the leasing and warranty agreements, but when there's a will...

4. awalt

awalt Legend

Jul 30, 2007
    I personally doubt that would work - given the behavior of the external disk drives when moving from unit to unit, I think they have plugged this hole by encoding receiver device information on the disk drive, so that if it's moved it won't match the unit.

I haven't actually tested this, but I would be willing to bet it will not work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.