1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Are C Band satellites still working?

Discussion in 'General Satellite Discussion' started by JimmyKat, Feb 26, 2013.

1. JimmyKat

JimmyKat New Member

Jan 14, 2013
    Davison, MI
    I haven't used my 12" Paraclipse satellite dish in years. The limit switch was out of wack and wasn't sure if it was worth the trouble to still use, with the addition of DirecTV to my household.
    Do people still use C Band, is it still worthwhile to have, wild feeds still avaiable?
    I was wondering if its worth the money to get it fixed?

2. lee635

lee635 Hall Of Fame

Apr 17, 2002
    There is some c band still out there, check www.lyngsat.com. You will likely want to get a digital converter as many channels are digital. You can then get the digital free-to-air channels. There is an "over the air forum" here that focuses on this stuff.

3. JimmyKat

JimmyKat New Member

Jan 14, 2013
    Davison, MI
    Thank You for the info!

4. PrinceLH

PrinceLH New Member

Feb 18, 2003
    There is a good number of stations on C/Ku band, in the clear. Make sure you get a good free to air receiver that does DVB S2.

5. Mar 1, 2013 #5 of 12
    Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

Aug 6, 2010
    I dont understand this....

C-Band IS A DIGITAL NETWORK Like DirecTV right??

So how can some channels carried by them NOT BE DIGITAL?? (Everything that gets carried by C-BAND is digital)

6. Mar 1, 2013 #6 of 12
    CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    C-band just really refers to the transmission frequency band where it resides. In the old days, C-band was all analog. Here is a list of whats available on C-Band according to wiki including a list of available channels.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C_band

7. Mar 1, 2013 #7 of 12
    SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    'Our'?

I don't know about yours, but I don't have one.

8. Mar 1, 2013 #8 of 12
    CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    I'm pretty sure he meant "Are". Threw me the 1st read as well...but hey, he's still got a BUD in his yard...so he may be a little behind the times.

9. Mar 2, 2013 #9 of 12
    PrinceLH

PrinceLH New Member

Feb 18, 2003
    Not at all. It's where studio's uplink to the network affiliates and where the network affiliates get their programming. There's many feeds from the Networks, often commercial free. There are subscription services for C Band, if you have a Digicypher 2 satellite box, but the free stuff is intriguing.

10. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    I recall seen a few analog channels on C-band last years ...

11. kenglish

kenglish Icon

Oct 2, 2004
    Salt Lake...
    Just go look around on Lyngsat, and you'll get the idea.
    It takes some playing on there to figure out how everything works, but they give lots of good info.

12. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

Aug 6, 2010
    Thank you to you and the guy above you that explainded it to me.. (CCarncross)

C-BAND is not a company like DTV,DISH,TIME WARNER,etc -- Its just the band where these stations transmit from....... (Im sorry i didnt realise this,i guess i havent ever really looked into C-BAND too much,i should have realised)