1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are D*'s CSR's getting worse?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Skip Towne, Jun 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jun 3, 2007 #1 of 63
    Skip Towne

Skip Towne Godfather

Dec 20, 2003
    I have installed D* for 11 years and I've recently spent 30 minutes on the phone for activation routinely. The CSR's have a terrible time getting the receivers activated, especally the local channels. They forget to enter the programming or the county code and can't figure out what is wrong. Are the CSR's getting worse in your opinion?

2. Jun 3, 2007 #2 of 63
    HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan New Member

Nov 29, 2005
    For good or for worse I think it's about the same.
    It's all relative. For the most part I don't have anything to complain about. My last call was disappointing though.

3. Jun 3, 2007 #3 of 63
    mark_winn

mark_winn Legend

Nov 3, 2005
    I think it is getting worse. I activated a new HR20 today and deactivated a H20. It took over 1 hour on the phone getting everything right (HD, DVR service, etc.) Now I noticed I don't have the SD locals. It should not be that hard to mirror and account.

4. Jun 3, 2007 #4 of 63
    Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    Yeah. I've been dealing with some real morons lately. Spent way too much of my time de/reactivating boxes.
    Sometimes they want to be all funny and joking. But after 10 mins I'm not laughing anymore.

5. Jun 3, 2007 #5 of 63
    Draconis

Draconis New Member

Mar 16, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV
    Law of averages folks...

You take a gamble when you call in, sometimes you will get the best CSR in the world. Sometimes you will get someone who does not know his head from hole in the ground.

Sadly, it's the twits you remember the most.

Remember, it takes only one "OH SNAP!" to erase 5,000 "Atta Boy"'s

6. Jun 3, 2007 #6 of 63
    veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Back in my days with Uncle Sam, it wasn't "Oh Snap". :lol:

7. Jun 3, 2007 #7 of 63
    bidger

bidger Hall Of Fame

Nov 19, 2005
    IMO and from my personal experience, yes. If you can't answer my question after 3 mins, accept that fact and escalate my call. I'll understand and feel you're competent by efficiently routing my call. When you hem and haw over the screen and eventually the line goes dead, it reflects poorly on you.

8. Jun 3, 2007 #8 of 63
    Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    If you don't have a solid training and management program for your CS department it's only going to get worse and worse. The quality reps get frustrated and leave.
    I'd also guess that D has expanded it's group as they've grown.
    I don't know if they outsource any of their CS either.

9. Jun 3, 2007 #9 of 63
    Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    That is not the only reason why quality reps get frustrated and leave.

In the many years that I have been part of a service oriented type enviornemnt (having a call center).. .the quality personell get to the point, that the just don't want to take another phone call from someone asking how to turn on their receiver.

The good ones want to do something else eventually....

But with that... it has been a LONG time since I have had a sub-par experience with a DirecTV CSR.

10. shendley

shendley Hall Of Fame

Nov 27, 2005
    I've had to contact DTV twice in the last couple of months. Once to activate a new HR20 - took 5 minutes - and another to ask for help with a problem I was having with losing my HD channels (since discovered to probably be an issue with my line) - the guy I spoke to was very helpful and actually quite enjoyable to speak with. You get folk who are incompetent every now and then, but basically I'm pretty satisfied with DTV CS.

11. TigersFanJJ

TigersFanJJ Hall Of Fame

Feb 17, 2006
    Yeah, I've been getting a lot of morons lately, too. I use the automated system as much as possible, because I know it will most likely take 30 minutes or more to get a receiver activated by a first level csr. My cell phone minutes (that I don't get reimbursed for) has doubled in the last 2 months.

If it's a replacement receiver (such as a dvr), I have started instructing the customer that they will have to call D* to de-activate their old receiver. I hate doing that, but I just don't have the time to spend 2-4 hours a day on the phone with D*.

12. Rathmir

Rathmir Mentor

May 2, 2007
    Part of the problem is now they only need they receiver id number to activate but often the access card number will be wrong when it comes up automatically in the system. As for the local channels not coming in that also is not controlled by the CSR. If the other receivers are getting locals then the county etcetera is already set. Resend auth then reset and resend again should fix it, might have to disconnect then reconnect the access card. If they do not come in after that there is not much the CSR can do except replace the receiver if the signal strength is good.
    Aside from all that, I have called in and had nothing but bad experiences so I hold my questions for my friends that work there.

13. lflorack

lflorack Godfather

Dec 16, 2006
    Hahahaha. No, it certainly wasn't.

To teh larger question, I'veh ad some pretty good CSR's lately. I think it's just the luck of the draw that determines who you get.

14. islesfan

islesfan Hall Of Fame

Oct 18, 2006
    Nevada
    I've had one good CSR lately, and 12 awful ones. Over the past 12 years, the CSRs have gone from excellent to below awful. The only bright spot, they are not as bad as the ones at HP!

15. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    D* doesn't need to go offshore to find poor CSRs.
    These are jobs Americans are willing to do. !pride

16. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    That's possibly the most advanced case of damning with faint praise that I've seen in the last year. HP consumer technical support is like a migrane headache.

17. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    Earl,
    Of course it's not the only reason. But, I managed call centers and it's a biggie. Good reps don't want to be put in a position where they don't know how to answer their calls and/or are forced to lie all day. The bad ones don't care. Some of them will spend more time "accidentally" disconnecting calls than answering them.

I basically dread calling D's customer service group. I have never had them get anything right the first time...from an activation to a trouble ticket. I just figure nowadays...you call them ask for the service you need. Let them do whatever. And just expect that you're going to have to call back 2 or 3 more times before it's correct and that's for an activation.
    If you are reporting a problem you're gonna spend a lot more time and be transferred at least two times before getting any type of answer.

This is not to say they're the worst out there...but they are a far stretch from being good.

18. JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

Dec 11, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    I think they are not trained properly D got to big to fast. to handle all the customers and all the new technology

19. JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

Dec 11, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    One time I was having a problem with my remote while I was talking to CSR's I was on this forum. My friends at DBS TALK fixed it before they did.

20. Proc

Proc Godfather

Jan 19, 2006
    I recently had to explain how I should be getting credit for two, new customer referrals. After 20 minutes on the phone, the person on the other end still didn't get what I was asking and credit for only one of the new customers I threw their way shows up. This despite e-mail contact where I had to prove the new customer's addresses and that they signed up. I shouldn't have to "prove" this seeing as they signed up and used my name/address/account number.

I have had better luck e-mailing D* and escalating it from there. A senior CSR has called me directly after this process.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.