1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are local HDs OTA or off the bird with TurboHD?

Discussion in 'DISH™ High Definition Discussion' started by Geordon, Feb 12, 2009.

1. Geordon

Geordon Cool Member

Sep 26, 2007
    I currently have AT200 with the HD package and the $5.99 Local DMAs and RSN (needed BTN) for Lansing, MI. The HD versions are received via my OTA antenna, and the satellite only offers SD versions.

To save some monthly fees, I want to switch to TurboHD Silver, so I can still get Big Ten Network for $39.99. If I pay the $5 for Local HD (and SD), will these come down from the satellite, or is it OTA? If OTA, why would I pay extra for them, if I can get them free?

Getting local HD channels from the Dish would be very beneficial, as I am considering adding a 211k so I can record multiple broadcast channels simultaneously, without worrying if my directional antenna is rotated to the correct station.

Thank you.

Geordon

2. Taco Lover

Taco Lover Icon

Jan 8, 2007
    If your locals are not offered in HD, then the only way would be to get them OTA. For the $5/month, you will get the benefits of the guide. If not, the guide will say Digital Service only.

3. dorfd1

dorfd1 Icon

Jul 15, 2008
    why pay for the guide data when the broadcaster transmit the guide data?

4. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Because Dish's equipment doesn't pick up or use that data, which is very limited (only a couple of hours ahead) and not adequate for proper DVR use/scheduling. Instead, Dish designed their receivers to use sat-provided guide data, allowing 2 weeks or so of guide data and giving the user the ability to schedule and deconflict shows far in advance.

So, again, you're left with the choice: if you want Dish's guide info, you have to pay. If you don't pay, then you either have no guide data (you can set manual DVR timers), or you have to plug your antenna into your TV directly and use the TV's guide (and no DVR for those locals).

5. Schizm

Schizm Legend

Jul 31, 2007
    E* only offers the SD feeds for my DMA and they come through the satellite. I also receive the channels in HD OTA. My package is Turbo HD Silver with locals.