1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are MDU Accounts Treated Differently?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by DefinitelyIan, Apr 9, 2013.

1. Apr 9, 2013 #1 of 11
    DefinitelyIan

DefinitelyIan New Member

Apr 9, 2013
    I'm wondering if MDU accounts are treated different in terms of discounts on service/equipment.

My situation:

Live in an MDU building setup by Direcpath. I have an HR24 & H24 with the Premier Package. I've been a customer for two years with my contract ending in three weeks. The only credits I have left from my original account setup is the $6 primary TV credit and the $10 credit for autopay. I called in today to see about upgrading to the Genie and was told it would cost me $299. He also said that he could offer me 6 months of half off Starz. I told him I really wasn't looking to pay $300 for a new DVR that I could get for free from Comcast. He said that was the best they could offer.

I realize I've only been a customer for two years, but $299 to upgrade my DVR and no additional discounts when facing cancelation? Is this normal treatment for a customer paying for the top package or is D* treating MDU customers differently?

2. Apr 9, 2013 #2 of 11
    west99999

west99999 Icon

May 11, 2007
    Are you talking with DTV or Direcpath? DTV has some MDU accounts that they service themselves but if you are going through Direcpath then thats who you would need to deal with and yes the discounts may not be available that would normally be available through DTV.

3. Apr 9, 2013 #3 of 11
    DefinitelyIan

DefinitelyIan New Member

Apr 9, 2013
    Directv bills me directly. I haven't had to interact with Direcpath since I setup the account. My bill and charge to my credit card is from Directv every month.

4. Apr 9, 2013 #4 of 11
    gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    I don't have a final answer yet, but it looks like a client of mine cannot bundle her DirecTV bill with her existing phone/internet/cell plan because that company is not the MDU contractor for the building. I am a little confused by all the circumstances, apparently DirecTV is sending a 'regular' tech for the install, not the MDU company, and AFAIK, the billing will go through DirecTV. They will be using the existing KaKu dish on the roof and the tap in head room.

It seems a little weird overall, but she did get a real deal on the install, free receiver, and install, free HBO/Starz/Encore and NFL Sunday ticket.

I have a feeling there is not a 'standard' MDU contract, or installation, LOL.

5. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    It's possible that when the "regular tech" gets to your site he will turn around and leave when he realizes it is an mdu property. Sometimes they "sneak through" but in the end it could bite you (or bite you in the end as the case might be :) )

6. goinsleeper

goinsleeper Godfather

May 22, 2012

How much does it say you're paying for the Premier package?

7. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013

Well, called the MDU company and was referred to sales rep for our area. He says his company has had to get firm with DirecTV to do installs like what my client wants. His company has no interest in any 'private pay' receiver in the building, even if it is connected to the tap on 'their' dish. His purview is the head, the bank of modulators, and any D* receiver management wants to put in a public area.

He even gave me some hints on getting the install done in case we get a skittish tech.

Not to be telling tales, but I was advised to keep the tech out of the head room and away from the modulator racks. Always refer to the clients space as a private residence, and have the signal available on the jack the client wants when he gets there, and to get him in and out ASAP.

I didn't tell him I am friendly with about 1/2 of the regular and subcontract D* installers in the area, and really don't think I have a problem.

He did state the bundle issue has come up before, and Century is unlikely in the extreme to ever bundle a D* account at that address, even if D* and his company both told them to allow it.

I'll know Friday night if this all goes to plan, LOL!

8. DefinitelyIan

DefinitelyIan New Member

Apr 9, 2013
    PREMIER Monthly 124.99

9. Volatility

Volatility Legend

May 22, 2010
    which means you are paying the same amount as the residential rate so it should be the same

10. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    LOL, installer not much concerned with MDU issue (I don't think he had even the vaguest inkling of what it meant).

Biggest deal was he did want not want to connect the Zinwell 6 by 8 the way I was told it had to be done. (I was running late and he was spot on time and I did not have my part quite ready). He didn't seem to know why keeping the voltage and sat assignments on the 4 wires from the KaKu was important. He finally went along, we got a completion code, customer is all happy, and my 'baby' has learned a new trick.

He didn't see the head room, but he was in the utility room with the plug board for sending signals to all the private rooms. He was VERY impressed with that part. Said that part of it was really easy.

We are lucky, all the coax runs are continuous segments in conduit, they will never get wet or have another contractor cut into them.

Despite the splitters on the 4 feed lines, signal strength was excellent on all sats and transponders.

Box did a software update and was doing fine.

Only job on my schedule today, and it went as well as I had hoped.

11. goinsleeper

goinsleeper Godfather

May 22, 2012
    Then you should get most of the options that regular residential accounts are eligible for.