1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are My BBC'S Going Bad

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by bk63ross, Jun 24, 2008.

1. bk63ross

bk63ross Mentor

Nov 10, 2004
    I have been getting searching for sat signal error messages the last few days when I tune in to specific HD channels the latest DSCHD yesterday wanting to record "In The Shadow Of The Moon" but was still able to watch Monday Night Raw on USAHD. Funny thing is when I do a soft reset red button in front of HR21 everything comes back up. There are no switches involved just the direct lines from sat down to a wall plate with rated barrel connectors to receiver. Could it be the BBC'S? I even had a Tech come out to recheck sat signals and all are coming in in the 90's a few in the 100's so it's not the signal itself or any obstructions...

2. mjones73

mjones73 Icon

Jun 20, 2006
    Can you confirm if the problem is occurring on one or both tuners? Have you tried swapping BBC's? Seeing you need to reset it to fix it leads me to believe it's a problem with the DVR itself.

3. bk63ross

bk63ross Mentor

Nov 10, 2004
    Just requested 2 more BBC'S. Will swap them out and see if problem still persists. Thanks for the info.

4. tvjay

tvjay Godfather

Sep 26, 2007
    I had the EXACT same problem where I could not pull in any of the MPEG4 hd channels. I did a menu "restart receiver" and now they work.

5. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA

Are these your readings on 103ยบ(c)?

6. tvjay

tvjay Godfather

Sep 26, 2007
    Okay, so my box just did it again...no MPEG4 hd channels...did a red button reset and everything works now.

7. K4SMX

K4SMX Hall Of Fame

May 19, 2007
    On at least two occasions I recall, members have reported this problem was corrected by tightening loose connectors in the antenna lines. I've seen this as well at a friend's installation. He lost all his 103(c)'s only. I found a barrel connector at the dish whose male fitting on the dish side had taken in water, and the copper-clad steel center conductor had nearly completely rusted away inside the barrel connector. Now this doesn't exactly make sense to me, because you'd think a loose/corroded connector would effect all the satellite signals simultaneously. So there's three anecdotal reports which you can consider. My experience is that most 771 problems are installation problems, and connectors are the weakest link in the chain.

8. linger

linger Legend

Nov 5, 2005
    VA
    I have been having the same problems. RBR fixes the problem, but then it re-appears later.

9. bk63ross

bk63ross Mentor

Nov 10, 2004
    The Tech that came out was nice enough to give me his contact info. Looks like I need to have him check all the connectors and the barrel on the wall plate. Of course I gave him a cool non alcoholic refreshment for the road.

10. tvjay

tvjay Godfather

Sep 26, 2007
    A reset no longer fixes mine...looks like I am calling Directv now..

UPDATE: I called and the tech had me disconnect the BBC's and check the connections. Upon doing so, and without restarting, my HD channels came back. She said that sometimes static electricity builds up on the BBCs. Then the next day they went out again so today techs came out and replaced one of the two BBCs with a new one. They also replaced the flat cables that go thru my door way because they were damaged.

11. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Is your Dish properly grounded???

That helps to BLEED off STATIC ELECTRICITY BUILDUP!!!

STATIC ELECTRICITY BUILDUP can cause Audio & Video Popping and I think it is the problem with the DVR having 771 Searching Issues, etc. I have mine properly ground and I have APC Battery Backup/Surge Protector/Line Conditioning which I believe has kept me from having all the ISSUES that have been reported in this Forum that people blame on software releases but indeed may be electrical in nature.

Make sure your Dish is properly grounded.

12. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Same thing with powered multiswitches or SWM's....grounding is a must.

13. duck33

duck33 Legend

Aug 28, 2007

I just dealt with that exact same issue. The barrel connector on the side of my house was rusted out completely.

I've had DirecTV out 4 times to deal with my signal issues. They told me, it had to do with my trees. So, I had a tree company come out and remove one and trim one. Did that fix the problem? NO.

So, this past Saturday, my Son found the issue that the other installers should have found. Now I'm out $600 for having a tree trimmed and one removed when I never needed to do that in the first place..

14. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Also, the installers are in a hurry as they don't make alot of money on these trips so they don't bother to GROUND the dish and then static electricity builds up and caused problems with the DVR, BBCs, etc.

15. ansky

ansky Hall Of Fame

Oct 11, 2005
    You should sell your story to a cable company. That would make a good anti-Directv commercial! You could be standing out in your yard next to a pile of logs :D

16. bglenn

bglenn Cool Member

Nov 18, 2008
    My dish isn't grounded and I've never had any of the problems people here have described. I do have the coax grounded just before it enters the house.

17. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    You may have just been very very lucky!!! Have you ever touched metal and felt a shock??? That is static electricity and if it builds up enough it can damage electronics and cause problems for them.