1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are new HD channels Coming?

Discussion in 'DISH™ High Definition Discussion' started by tnsprin, Oct 11, 2009.

1. tnsprin

tnsprin Hall Of Fame

Mar 15, 2003
    As pointed out by other forums, Dish may at least thinking of adding some additional HD channels. See the Channels and Packaging guide on their site.

http://www.dishnetwork.com/downloads/pdf/whats_on_dish/programming_guides/OnlineChannelLineUp.pdf

It shows Fox Movie Channel,History International, Nicktoons, Sleuth, The Movie channel(W), and VH1 Classic in HD. May just be a typo as it has in each case the channel just above should be marked with HD and isn't.

2. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Given that most of those channels aren't available in HD *at all* at this time, and most not scheduled until 2010 or later, I'd say that was just a printing error.

That doesn't mean there aren't more HD channels coming, but that using this channel lineup as evidence isn't a good idea.

3. DodgerKing

DodgerKing Hall Of Fame

Apr 28, 2008
    This was shown to be a typo. Every logo was accidentally shifted down one row. Shift everything up one in the gold column and then it would be correct. If you notice, most of the channels above the ones labeled as HD are in HD, but are not labeled as HD themselves: Versus, Tennis, Planet Green. NatGeo, HMC, FOXB. These are currently in HD and do not have the HD label. They are directly above those mislabeled as HD.

4. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    Fox Movie Channel, would be a great HD addition.

5. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    In the June Charlie Chat t seemed pretty evident that, with the exception of MSNBC in July, there would be no new national HD until further notice as they focused on getting more local DMA's served.

That doesn't keep me from grumbling about not having PBS, BBCA, and the entire Rainbow group (including AMC, IFC, Sundance).

Interestingly, in that Chat it was said they are pushing for a single national PBS HD channel but PBS has said no.

6. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    As DodgerKing quickly noted (and it was almost immediately obvious to me after looking at the link)... it was just a typo, someone quick on the post-it-to-the-web trigger before proofreading.

This is a really good example of why things posted in forums shouldn't be taken too seriously without corroboration from an official source. It's too easy to get people riled up (good or bad) and then disappointment sets in when a "promise" that never existed doesn't come through.

7. daleles

daleles AllStar

Jul 2, 2005
    There's a new Charlie Chat tomorrow, perhaps they'll announce some upcoming HD channels. U never know....

8. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I had lost track of time... maybe we'll get some news. You can get they will be asked, and probably about some specific channels like BBC America and ESPNU in HD.

9. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Well, I sent the following Charlie Chat question through the Dish website, which along with a dollar will buy me a cup of coffee:

10. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Phrelin, those are all good questions.

I am getting my PBS OTA again, but would love to see it via Dish as well for maximum reliability + those who cannot get it like I can.

11. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Gee, the message which I supposedly sent to the Charlie Chat via the pull down menu, got this email reply:
    What they should have started with is: "Thank you for knowingly wasting your time.":rolleyes:

12. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    If Sundance is owned by Rainbow, then why is it still grouped with Showtime?

13. space86

space86 Icon

May 4, 2007
  14. dennispap

dennispap Icon

Feb 1, 2007
  15. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Don't think I've not been waiting for the other shoe to drop. Sundance was acquired by Rainbow Media June 18, 2008. I assume, since it was partly owned by Showtime with Redford, that it will continue to be a part of the Showtime package, but you know what assuming can do.

16. dennispap

dennispap Icon

Feb 1, 2007
    Especially with Dish:)

17. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Saw a post on AVSForum, and double-checked with my local Time Warner Web site and found Time Warner is announcing new HD coming soon, including:

We already have about half of those (mostly premiums), but several are ones Dish customers have been asking about. FYI, Time Warner in this area already has ESPNUHD as well + a few others like FuseHD, SmithsonianHD, and a couple of others that Dish either doesn't have or dropped (in the case of Smithsonian).

I'm amazed to see how quickly Time Warner in this area has caught up and is starting to pass Dish... especially considering cable has all the local channels in HD and not just the big 4 networks as well.

18. inazsully

inazsully Icon

Oct 3, 2006
    It is disturbing that Dish always seems to take a back seat to someone. Taking the initiative and leading the pack would be a nice change of pace.

19. FarmerBob

FarmerBob Godfather

Nov 27, 2002
    The new Prisoner is premeiring in November on AMC. It's a really big deal with an all-star cast. Not in HD will be a crime. I guess I will just have to wait and buy it on Blu-ray.

20. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    Note: That's just one TWC francise. They'll be on Dish, at some point.