1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Are recordings tied to Access Card, or Receiver, or both?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by grins, Jan 22, 2013.

1. grins

grins Mentor

Nov 17, 2005
    I've got the disk that was with the receiver when it was active, but not the access card (I know, don't bother telling me I'm a fool :blackeye: ).

If I get a new card and reactivate it do the old recordings work?

Thanks, y'all :)

2. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I have read many times that it is tied to the receiver ID that is in one of the chips on the main board.

Wait for mor knowledgeable to answer before deciding.

3. viclovr

viclovr AllStar

Aug 15, 2012
    u should still be able to access them. the access card only gives the authorizations for ur programing.

4. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Yup. The recordings on a drive are tied to the RID. Swapping out access cards has no effect.

- Merg

5. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    You are Correct!!! The RID # is encoded into the Header of each Recording and it gets it from that Flash Memory Chip where it is stored. :)

Also, the RID # is Stored on the Access Card so when you get your New Access Card it will have the RID # stored on it.

6. grins

grins Mentor

Nov 17, 2005
    woohoo! Thanks, y'all :)