1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are right angle connectors OK?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Lee L, Oct 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lee L

Lee L Hall Of Fame

Aug 15, 2002
    After looking at the size of the new Zinwell 6x8 switch, I am going to probably need to use right angle adaptors on one side to get it to fit in the amount of space I have in my wiring panel. (I have a nice small Eagle Aspen switch now) I would prefer to do the side with the 4 feeds from the dish in as it would work better. Any problems with this?

I used to do all of them on both sides at my old house with the old Terk switch, but did not know if the new switches were more sensitive due to not having a seperate power in.

2. K4SMX

K4SMX Hall Of Fame

May 19, 2007
    The DC power question is a non-issue. You should find out pretty quickly if there were any RF issues by carefully examining your 103(a) or 99(b) signal strength on a before and after basis. Be sure and check all the tp's which have any signal strengths showing. Any problems could be frequency specific. I don't know if I've seen right angle F adapters rated for Ka High. They would have a blue dialectric on the female side. A lot of these sold at retail stores are pretty junky, but then you won't be risking much money either.

3. yogi

yogi Legend

Feb 8, 2006
    Why would Ka be a problem?
    The only issue are they break easily. You can break them without really knowing. It would be better using right angle connectors.

4. K4SMX

K4SMX Hall Of Fame

May 19, 2007
    All RF connectors can introduce impedance "bumps" into a circuit which is otherwise continuous at every point along the line, thus creating standing waves. This can occur for a variety of reasons regarding the internal construction of the connector. The ability not to introduce these mis-matches is rated in terms of a maximum RF frequency which can be utilized before anomolies occur, e.g., 1 ghz, 2, ghz, 2.5 ghz, etc.

5. yogi

yogi Legend

Feb 8, 2006
    But, would it occur in Ka an Ku band. Would it be worst in Ku band.

6. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    You mean like in this picture?

I'm using them with no problem on both WB68 and SWM.

VIDDIST.JPG

Carl

7. Sackchamp56

Sackchamp56 Godfather

Nov 9, 2006
    :eek2: Good God man! what do you have going on there? Thats fancy!

8. K4SMX

K4SMX Hall Of Fame

May 19, 2007
    I've forgotten the exact Ku and Ka High down conversion frequencies. I believe the D* LNB's downconvert the 12 ghz Ku to 950-1450 Mhz and and the 19-20 ghz Ka High to up around 2000 Mhz (2 ghz). So if there are any connector problems, they're going to show up first on the 99(b) and 103(a) satellite sig's, when measured at the receiver.

9. techrep

techrep Hall Of Fame

Sep 15, 2007
    Now I have connector envy. ;)

10. yogi

yogi Legend

Feb 8, 2006
    Ka Freq. is 250 - 750 Mhz. the BBC module converts it to 1650 - 2150 Mhz.
    So I guess we're saying the same thing.:)

11. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Left wall is the WB68. Mounted to the top is SWM8. Back panel is all RG6 coming and going (2 slimlines, plus multiple to every room in house). Top right is a 2-channel UHF modulator. There eight more elsewhere that are fed into this, and cable plus local modulated channels are all mixed and distributed from here also. Right now, both the WB68 and SWM8 are being fed from a single dish through the splitters on the bottom of the shelf. The second slimline is just backup and to play with, but is available on the back panel.

Carl

12. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    I wouldn't worry about the frequency response, but make sure you wrench tighten them, because the coax at a right angle has a lot of leverage on the nut and so these connectors are notorious for coming loose.

13. smiddy

smiddy Tain't ogre til its ogre

Apr 5, 2006
    As has been mentioned VSWR is a potential issue, and about 0.1 dB more attenuation which is not significant, unless you are already on the hairy edge for the link budget.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.