1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are some 622s unable to use EHDs?

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by shortspark, Aug 4, 2010.

1. shortspark

shortspark Legend

Oct 25, 2006
    My four year old 622 finally died, at least the HDMI port did. So, they sent me out a replacement. It took forever to get a signal, then it would show signal lost and back and forth. The tech person I had to call was of little value. Finally it worked and I asked him to be sure that my $39 payment for archive to external hard drives transferred to the new receiver. He said plug the EHD into the receiver, which I did. It showed it connected but when I tried to play or archive, it said "not supported".

The techie went back and forth and put me on hold during which I tried to record a show on tv to the dvr but a pop-up appeared saying the receiver was unable to access this feature at this time. Nor was I able to pause a program. The tech person said I had a receiver that would not support an EHD and he would send another. I said "hold on"! I was not about to go through this again and told him I wanted a service person to come out with the replacement to make sure everything worked. I pay six bucks a month for some kind of insurance and wanted to use it. He said it would still cost me $15 for this and I said that would be worth it. So, they are coming out Saturday.

But what I am wondering is why is any 622 not able to support the EHD capability? My receiver was four years old and when I paid the $39 it worked perfectly. The tech guy said he did not know the reason but that receiver would not work with the EHD. I think because it would not record, it of course would not be good for EHD but the problem as I see it is the unit itself is bad, not that some 622s can and some can't support EHDs. Am I correct in that assumption? And if so, don't they check these things out first? I mean, I know it is refurbished but don't they at least check to see if you can record a show or pause it? Pretty sad if you ask me.

2. bnborg

bnborg Icon

Jun 3, 2005
    Yes, I think you got a defective replacement.

3. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Go to Counters and post a few snapshots of those values (seems to me you got dead drive inside at least, perhaps and a tuner too).

4. shortspark

shortspark Legend

Oct 25, 2006
    Yes, I think it also a bad tuner because when I scan my locals I do not get high def, only the digital. I don't know how to take a snapshot of those values (do you mean with a camera and then download it here somehow?). Is there any particular group of values that will tell us something? If so, I can just copy them here.

5. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Hi-def channels are digital. Many channels no longer offer both an HD feed and an SD feed so the only one you're going to see is the Hi-def feed. There is only one tuner for OTA so if you can see any, the tuner is working. DISH does not add the HD logo to HD OTA channels if that's what you were thinking.

What kind of hard drive arrangement are you trying to plug into the ViP622?

6. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    HDD chapter ...