1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are some leaving Satellite/Cable to add to DVD Collection?

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by mainedish, Nov 15, 2003.

1. mainedish

mainedish Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2003
    I can't find the link but I read that the 18 to 35 crowd are buying DVDS and not watching TV as much. And if you think about it look at what you could get for DVD's in one year but your not getting with Satellite or cable. Or worse for the Premium networks, instead of paying for HBO etc you could just buy the DVD instead. Anyone else read that story or have a link to it?

2. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    Not surprised. I'm taking advantage of all the pan-and-scan movies that are airing on the premium channels. After December 26th, the package gets downgraded from Total Choice Premium to Total Choice Plus.

Of course, if I was living solo, I wouldn't have cable or DBS period. But, since it keeps my mom happy, I might as well have a PVR. I got plenty of DVDs that need to be watched.

3. retiredTech

retiredTech Icon

Oct 27, 2003
    Everyone has different tastes and ideas about a "better way to go".

If one had only a very selective taste for what "show" they actually would watch( and liked to RE-watch a show over and over), then buying DVDs MIGHT be a reasonable alternative.

However many DVDs are close to and over $20 for a "show".

But when you start adding up cost per hour of use, a DVD is very
    expensive!

Of course there are always those you do things differently.

It has been on CNN about the number of consumers who NO longer have a "land line" phone but are totally "wireless" customers are at a all time high and growing.

So, where and how people spend their money is always good for a chuckle.

4. Karl Foster

Karl Foster Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Since we don't usually watch dvd's over an over, we have found PPV to be a good alternative for movies we want to see, but aren't dying to own. For $3.99 we can buy a movie and put it on the hard drive. We have several that are over a year old. With 105 hours of recording capacity on one, and 70 on the other, we haven't run into problems. Most of the movies I buy are for my kid. She can keep them as long as she wants, but she usually deletes them after a month and she has seen them several times. "Agent Cody Banks" is an example. She liked the movie, but only watched it a couple of times. It is much more economical to spend $3.99 rather than $17.99 or more for movies for her. Now there are movies that I don't even blink to spend money on - "Finding Nemo," "Minority Report," and "Harry Potter" are examples of those. YMMV.

5. Jacob S

Jacob S Hall Of Fame

Apr 14, 2002
    A good alternative is Netflix where you can rent unlimited amounts of DVD's (2 or 3 at a time) for about $20 a month. You can even do this for games for the gaming consoles now for about the same price such as the PS2, GameCube, XBox, and I also believe for PC games as well. You can go on Yahoo and get unlimited downloadable games with a broadband connection for $15 a month or $36 for 3 months ($12/mo. average). The internet seems to entertain many just as good if not better than what tv can because people get involved with the internet by typing and browsing where if they were watching tv you just sit or lay down and watch and not getting involved.

In another sense, it is cheaper to get satellite or cable than it is to rent movies from the video store in many cases. If you rented one movie a night at $3 thats $90 per month not counting the gas and time going to the video store and back. To buy the tapes and DVD's would increase the cost and you would be watching the same movies/shows over and over without much variety.

6. Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5 Hall Of Fame

Mar 11, 2003
    With AEP w locals with Dish I have all the entertainment I need. I dvr all the shows I want to watch fro the week with my sat guide and I always have movies and network shows to watch. I don't even rent movies anymore. I also don't buy dvds unless it is an old movie I want to have or it is a new one I really like. I don't buy dvds just because I can. I only buy them if I truley like the show. I watch the classics at least once or twice a year. I love the old shows like Doris Day & Rock Hudson comedies ( Pillow Talk , Lover Come Back, etc.) The newer movies really have to grab me for me to buy them.

7. Jacob S

Jacob S Hall Of Fame

Apr 14, 2002
    I personally think its better to have a variety of tv shows and movies to watch especially with a DVR and its capabilities.