1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Are some of Discovery and History channels shows staged?

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by oldschoolecw, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Jan 8, 2013 #1 of 70
    oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw HarpoonIPA

Jan 25, 2007
    Halifax, MA
    With Ax Men having arrows fly last year and Rygaard logging's Craig Rygaard and Dave Schroeder at it last season it seems it has to be all staged. And now this year you have Craig Rygaard picking fights with DJ this season. If it's real, why hasn't Gabe or Craig Rygaard been arrested?

Then you have Bamazon right after Ax Men and Tim Evans "the boss man" treating his team like crap. What gives with these shows

American Chopper from the Discovery channel is another :)

2. Jan 8, 2013 #2 of 70
    trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Not sure any of the 'reality' shows aren't staged. Even the Gator Boys got slammed for recreating a couple of captures they did for their show, so now you'll see a quick disclaimer at the bottom that says just that.

3. Jan 8, 2013 #3 of 70
    Christopher Gould

Christopher Gould Icon

Jan 14, 2007
    I say staged/fake because I believe there would be lawsuits for all the violence in the work place. I'm going to cancel axe men soon. The last one was dumb hardly any logs logged.

4. Jan 8, 2013 #4 of 70
    oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw HarpoonIPA

Jan 25, 2007
    Halifax, MA
    Same here, I want to be entertained by these types of shows... Not feel sick to my stomach after watching cruelty in the work place.

5. Jan 8, 2013 #5 of 70
    dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Among others, like A&E. From what I understand, on American Pickers, they have already negotiated everything, and they don't travel together. Dave on Storage Wars has talked about how staged it is.

I do think Deadliest Catch is at least less staged but the environment is harder to control, for retakes etc.

Survivorman is another that is about as real as you're going to get.

6. Jan 8, 2013 #6 of 70
    oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw HarpoonIPA

Jan 25, 2007
    Halifax, MA
    I just cancelled Amish Mafia because it seemed very staged

7. Jan 8, 2013 #7 of 70
    dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I never watched it but when I heard about it, I came up with a few problems, one of which is that it's generally against their beliefs to have their picture taken or be filmed.

Not to mention the fact that they usually are considered non confrontational almost to a fault.

Or Moonshiners. They aren't actually making illegal moonshine.

8. Jan 8, 2013 #8 of 70
    SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Does the Sun rise in the East?

9. Jan 8, 2013 #9 of 70
    oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw HarpoonIPA

Jan 25, 2007
    Halifax, MA
    What channel is that on?:D

10. VDP07

VDP07 Godfather

Feb 22, 2006
    Are some of Discovery and History channels shows staged?

The list of ones that are not staged would be very short or non-existant.

11. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    I'm kind of skeptical on that one. I know Les claims he does the show by himself but some of the camera shots are just to good to be true (especially when he is in them). I also am amazed on how sometimes he can claim to go for days without eating and drinking and suddenly find himself a hole full of fresh rain water and a critter hiding in the bushes

12. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Well there is still editing. I know he does have a safety team that he can contact, so he's not really all alone with no support of any kind. But I do think it's about as real as you can get with modern TV.

13. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    I'd be surprised if at least some of them aren't downright faked; shot on a set somewhere.

14. pdxBeav

pdxBeav Godfather

Jul 5, 2007
    Seems pretty obvious they are all staged: Pawn Stars, Storage Wars, etc....

People watch for these shows for the entertainment value so it shouldn't matter that they're all staged.

15. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Right. Like with Pawn Stars I like some of the items brought in, learn about them etc. I'm assuming that the actual items are authentic. That's where my real interest is. I really don't care about the family dynamics or if they have negotiated the item beforehand.

I know it's not Antiques Roadshow, which I know some say is also fake, but I know the appraisers have to pay their own way to participate.

16. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    You can do some great things in an edit suite but some of the camera angles and shots can only from someone holding a camera ;)

Les may not be as bad as some of those other survival shows (Man, Woman, Wild comes to mind), I still believe his show is staged in a lot of ways.

17. oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw HarpoonIPA

Jan 25, 2007
    Halifax, MA
    I'm kind of ticked, with it possibly being all staged and makes me reconsider watching. Well at least Pro Wrestling is real :lol:

18. tsmacro

tsmacro Hall Of Fame

Apr 28, 2005
    East...
    Well it was on Discovery HD Theater (Sunrise Earth) before that channel was renamed and repurposed. Of course that show was also fraught with clever editing that made a two hour period of time showing the sunrise appear to take only an hour! :lol:

19. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    Everything is staged... Channels like TruTV even brag about their stuff being fake.

I do agree about Deadliest Catch though, it would be tough to stage that one.

20. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    As sad as it may sound I actually had a Series Link for that show. :lol:

I found it to have a calming effect on me.