1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are there new NHL blackout rules?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by bgilga, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Nov 2, 2010 #1 of 15
    bgilga

bgilga Legend

Jul 28, 2006
    I live in NEPA. MSG and MSG Plus are two of my RSN's. I always received the New Jersey Devils games in the past, but this year I am getting "Channel not purchased 721" message. Does anyone have any idea why this is happening? Any help would be appreciated.
    P.S. I do get the Rangers, but I have not checked on an Islanders game yet. I always got their games too.

2. Nov 2, 2010 #2 of 15
    n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    I would imagine that the TV territories for the Rangers, Devils, and Islanders would be pretty much the same footprint as they are in the same market and on the same channels (MSG and MSG+). Calling D* would pretty much yield no useful info since the CSR would simply spit out the same 'we have to abide by league rules....' mumbo-jumbo. Possibly, you could contact the NHL at 212-789-2000 and see if they are any help.

3. Nov 3, 2010 #3 of 15
    islesfan

islesfan Hall Of Fame

Oct 18, 2006
    Nevada
    I can tell you that the Isles, Devils, and Rangers are all the same market, so if you get one you should get all. As to your particular problem, I can't really say.

4. Nov 3, 2010 #4 of 15
    kryscio23

kryscio23 Godfather

Sep 4, 2007
    I have wondered the same thing too. It wasn't a worry for me the past few years because I ordered the NHL Center Ice package, but this year I didn't and I am only seeing the Ranger games. One would believe that the Icelanders and Devils are in the same footprint and the availability should be the same, but according to the regional channel information, it tells me only Rangers. I do like that the NHL rules are looser and we get all the replays without having to pay for the package but most people can't stay up later at night to catch those replays.

UPDATE > Wanted to add that with the Sports Pack I also get the Penguins games, even though I am easily 5 hours from Pittsburgh. So aside from NHL Network, Versus and NBC on Sundays in 2011, I can see Rangers & Pens.

I also wondered, even though I am not an NBA fan, why I don't see Knicks and Nets on MSG & YES, even though they are in my area and I have the Sports Pack to boot. Those are my regional sports channels and I should get them without having to pay for the league passes.

5. Nov 3, 2010 #5 of 15
    slt101

slt101 AllStar

Jun 17, 2010
    I live in the Rochester NY area and I get the Sabres,Rangers and Devils but they blackout the Islanders. I talked with Direct TV a couple of times and they agree that all four hockey teams are my home teams and should be available in my area. They told me that they don't know why they are told to blackout the Islanders in my area,they said that they are only available in the Metro-NY area or on Center Ice. They even told me that if I had Center Ice that I would be blacked out on that too since the Islanders are considered my home team. I sent an email to the NHL office and I'm hoping to hear back why. Anyone have a clue why I would get 3 out of 4 teams and not all of them?

6. Nov 4, 2010 #6 of 15
    adkinsjm

adkinsjm Icon

Mar 25, 2003
    The blackout areas are different. Plug in your ZIP at http://www.directv.com/rsn

I tried 18327 for Delaware Water Gap and it showed the Rangers as the only NHL team available. Just across the river for Columbia, NJ (07832) gives me all three NHL teams.

7. Nov 4, 2010 #7 of 15
    bgilga

bgilga Legend

Jul 28, 2006
    This is the first year I am not getting the Devils and Islanders. I do get the Knicks and Nets however. It really sucks. I am a Bruins fan, so I saw them alot without the package, now I may have to get it. This is nuts.

8. Nov 4, 2010 #8 of 15
    bgilga

bgilga Legend

Jul 28, 2006
    I just tried my zip code on Directv's web site and it says I should be getting these games. I might have to call D and I am dreading it. That should be an interesting call.

9. Nov 4, 2010 #9 of 15
    adkinsjm

adkinsjm Icon

Mar 25, 2003
    They must have weird areas since Delaware Water Gap is as close as you get in Pennsylvania an to Newark. Easton can get the Devils and Islanders, but the Stroudsburg area can't.

The is a post on the other site of some guy in Stroudsburg with the same issue. If I end up moving there next year, I might have to choose cable.

10. kryscio23

kryscio23 Godfather

Sep 4, 2007

I'll tell you what ... if you for some reason decide to move to the Stroudsburgs, which I don't recommend, you will get CSN Philly on basic/digital cable but will NOT find MSG or MSG+ anywhere on their Blue Ridge Cable lineup. They dropped MSG a few years back in favor of SNY. Also, Memorial Day weekend of 2009, they dropped the NY feed of FOX (now only comes from Scranton) and there isn't an ABC feed from NY either. CBS & NBC remain. Also, try the Bushkill, PA zip (18324) and see what the local channels and sports nets look like. Three minutes across the border and 10 minutes up the road and all are different channels than I. Freakin' messed up system this is!!!

11. adkinsjm

adkinsjm Icon

Mar 25, 2003
    No Devils or Islanders in Bushkill. You have to go south near Easton or use a Pike County ZIP to get all New York teams.

12. kryscio23

kryscio23 Godfather

Sep 4, 2007
    I think I was thinking of the discrepancy in the local channels from 5 miles to my north and 5 miles to my East ... My bad. Try the local channel tool and see the difference! It goes from about 7 locals to about 22!

-----> Here's one for ya tonight (FRI 11/5) ... Can't find MSG2 (didn't think it existed anymore but that's what the game notes e-mailed to me from MSG said that the game was on) ... Couldn't find Rangers pre-game ... at 7 p.m. tried MSG+ (Devils) and *poof* blacked out. GameSearch kicked it up one channel -- to the STANDARD version of MSG+, the DEVILS FEED, and that's how I am watching tonight's game. If I am supposed to be blacked out of the Devils feeds, how can I get the game tonight in SD and where is the Rangers' feed tonight?

13. Pennsylvania

Pennsylvania Cool Member

Mar 30, 2010
    Sounds like Directv and/or MSG changed the viewing boundary map for the Islanders and Devils, eliminating the Scranton area. I live about 50 miles south of Scranton. When I first subscribed to Directv I received the Knicks and Rangers as my home teams. Since then the viewing boundary maps changed in my area and I can only receive both teams' broadcasts with a Center Ice or NBA League Pass subscription. To make matters worse, I am also blacked out of Ranger HD games on MSG. I get the SD feed on Center Ice but not the HD feed of MSG broadcasts.

14. Indiana627

Indiana627 Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    Maybe this will help:

What are the blackout restrictions for... Rangers games?
    New York

* Up to 50 games may be carried beyond Sullivan, Ulster and Dutchess Counties.
    * Total blackout within 50 miles of Buffalo, including Rochester.

New Jersey

* Total blackout south of Mercer, Monmouth and Ocean Counties.

Connecticut

* Up to 50 games may be carried beyond Fairfield County.

Pennsylvania

* Up to 50 games may be carried in the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton area.
    * Total blackout beyond the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton area.

http://www.msg.com/faq

I'm sure there are similar blackout restrictions for Devils and Islanders games.

In years past I remember being able to find a detailed TV schedule on MSG's site for each hockey team with footnotes about which games would be blacked out in each region, but I cannot find any of these schedules for the 2010-11 season.

Maybe this will be helpful too. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MSG_Network

15. Ronmort

Ronmort Godfather

Apr 23, 2002
    I am only able to watch the all Knicks and all Rangers live broadcasts on MSG and MSG+. The Isles and Devil replays are in the clear. I live in the Scranton, PA area. There have been no blackouts so far of Knicks or Rangers. I could live with that, but in the past several years, I had no blackouts of any NY area teams on the MSG channels. I also get the Pirates and Penguins on FSN-Pittsburgh, but I have to get the Sports Pack on DTV even though DTV owns that channel. Comcast carries FSN-Pittsburgh as part of their basic service. DTV could pick up a lot of customers for its FSN channel if they would just do what Comcast does.