1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Are two-year contracts a requirement now?

Discussion in 'General Satellite Discussion' started by brocks, Feb 11, 2013.

1. brocks

brocks New Member

Feb 11, 2013
    I used Dish ten years ago and DirectTV after that, then switched to cable last year. The cable service and DVR were both awful, and the only reason I stayed with it was the very low price I got for the first year. But now the year is up, and they are raising their price to about the same as the satellite companies, so I want to switch back.

Problem is, I plan to move this year, and from what I found by looking at their websites, both Dish and DirectTV now seem to require a two-year commitment. Googling around I found something called Flex, which is evidently a 3rd party vendor for Dish, but I'd rather deal direct. So my questions are:

1) Is there a way to get satellite service direct from Dish or DTV without a contract longer than six months?

2) If not, does moving to a new address allow you to terminate without penalty? I don't know whether I'll be able to continue service at the new address, because I might move into an apt while I'm looking for a house.

Thanks for any help.

2. samrs

samrs MANC DBSTalk Club

May 30, 2004
    Flat Branch, NC
    Directv requires a 2 year contract.

They will give you a free move once a year. You have to complete 12 months prior to each move. Otherwise there will be a hefty fee.

Moving to an address where you can't receive service will not automaticly release you from your contract.

You would be better off waiting till you reach your finnal destination before ordering Directv. Unless you just like spending hours on the phone and stress.

3. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    If you can't get LOS, they will release you from the contract. Having said that, it still may be best to wait if you'll be moving within the first year, as I don't think you can use the Mover's Connection in the first year. This is for DirecTV, Dish may be different, including the contract. I know in the past they had some odd policies, like wanting you to mail back the LNB.

4. VDP07

VDP07 Godfather

Feb 22, 2006
    Flex is available through DISH and is Retailers. It requires a $199 non-refundable activation fee and the purchase of equipment, $49 to $449 for the primary receiver. It includes installation. It does not require a term commitment or a cancellation fee.

5. brocks

brocks New Member

Feb 11, 2013
    Thanks for the responses. I guess I have to stick with cable for now, because the fees are too high with Flex.

6. donalddickerson2005

donalddickerson2005 Legend

Feb 13, 2012
    DirecTV and dish have always been 2 year contracts. The reason local cable can give you a month to month is because that is the only way people will get there products. Cable lacks a lot of what DirecTV and dish can give you.

7. knot

knot Mentor

Feb 4, 2010
    I purchased my receiver and dish from a dealer on ebay. I installed it and called dish to activate. I pay monthly with no contract.

8. Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek DIRECTV A-Team

Jun 13, 2009
    Chances are you purchased a leased unit and are under contract.

9. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Not "always" ... 18 month contracts used to be the norm. Now both services offer 24 month contracts. You do not have to sign a 24 month contract with DISH, but if you do not you have to pay for everything (no discounted equipment or install).

No ... There are plenty of DISH receivers that could be purchased, self installed and activated without contract. Even the most recent can be purchased outright.

10. knot

knot Mentor

Feb 4, 2010

That would be incorrect. I purchased the receiver new and is listed as owned on my account.

11. donalddickerson2005

donalddickerson2005 Legend

Feb 13, 2012
    That is the same for DirecTV also if you want to pay for everything go on. But I for 1 don't mind the contract since I am not going anywhere else anytime soon.

12. spikor

spikor AllStar

Aug 11, 2008
    I know this might be a Dish Related comment but goes along with a 24 Month / 2 year Commitment. I own my own receivers a 722K a 222K and another 222K and Dish and LNB. Eventhough I own everything. I WAS Still LOCKED into a 2 Year Contract with the FREE HD for Life Package. I told them since I owned everything I did not have a Commitment and they said YES I was LOCKED in for 2 Years DUE to the FREE HD for Life Package. I was going to Cancel and Leave for Numberous reasons Last June the 722K had to be reset numberous times Daily and one 222K as well. I was also getting the annoying lost Satellite Signal Messages and WAS going to Cancel since I owned everything and have NO Contract. BUT they told me since I do own everything I could not DUE to being LOCKED in to a 2 year Contract by taking the FREE HD for Life Package. It is up in April 2013 so I will CANCEL in May 2013 to be 2 years PLUS 1 Month so there will be NO Conflicts that I broke the Contract too early. I was told when I do cancel that I would be sent Boxes to return the Equipment and I told them what do you all not understand I own everything. I own my own Receivers. I own my own Dish and I own my own LNB ( or Nose Piece )you are not getting anything in return. And it does also show up as OWNED in the Status as Owned or Leased.

13. damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    Not True! Prior to 2006

SD non DVRs where 12 month commitments, and 18 months on Advanced equipment. Only when the New lease rule went into effect( March 2006 ) did the 24 month commitment become standard on advanced equipment.

14. acostapimps

acostapimps Hall Of Famer

Nov 5, 2011
    Illinois
    Don't they have SD boxes with a 12 month commitment anymore or did that changed? because last time I called (last year when i added receivers) I remember them saying 12 months for regular SD boxes non dvrs and 24 months advanced receiver.

15. acostapimps

acostapimps Hall Of Famer

Nov 5, 2011
    Illinois
    Wow just the free hd for life locks you in for 24 month commitment? Even though you own everything else. How about canceling FHDFL and just paying $10 monthly fee.

16. damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    Yes Standard boxes are still 12 months.
    I edited my post to be more clear.:)

17. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    There are three ways of getting HD Free for Life on DISH.
    1) Grandfathering: Be a person who subscribed to HD+Platinum HD when Free HD was introduced. Those subscribers were converted to Free HD plus what is now the Blockbuster Movie Pack. No further commitment is needed.
    2) Commit to 24 months, autopay and paperless billing. Most new subscribers get HD Free for life with this commitment (since they are already committing to 24 months to get their install it is not a big issue).
    3) Pay $99 (effectively 10 months of $10 HD) and have no additional commitment or autopay/paperless requirements.

If the customer CHOOSES to make a commitment to get Free HD it is their choice.

18. MattScahum

MattScahum Legend

Oct 26, 2010
    I should.probably elaborate on this.. You are not guaranteed a free move once a year. Your move cost is based on tenure, payment history, account status, level if service, etc. I have seen customers with 3yrs service with shaky pay history pay more than a 1yr cust with perfect.history so it varies by account. But as.it says you can.qualify for 1 move at a reduced.rate.a.year