1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are You In Favor of Broadband Data Caps?

Discussion in 'Cable TV Discussion' started by Athlon646464, May 5, 2011.

1. Athlon646464

Athlon646464 Gold Members DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    "We noted earlier this week that AT&T became the latest ISP to roll out data caps for high-speed Internet service. Like it or not, this is the trend that's taking place in the broadband spectrum, even as bandwidth heavy services like high-definition streaming, BitTorrent downloads, and cloud-based synching become the norm. If you're to believe the ISPs, you have no one to blame but yourself for these caps, and you even asked for them.

Is it true? AT&T says so. Mark Siegel, a spokesman for AT&T, claims it's only putting data caps in place because, well, that's what its customers want, CNet reports."

More Here

[​IMG]

2. houskamp

houskamp New Member

Sep 14, 2006
    They still don't have the tracker working for me so I don't even know how much I use.. as long as the limits are reasonable I don't realy care..

3. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    No one is in favor of caps except for the providers, but with a liberal cap of 250GB, I have no problem with the concept. Comcast's usage meter works very well -- shows current calendar month-to-date plus three previous months in a bar graph format, example below.

Comcast - 2011 bandwidth usage.jpg >>> For Comcast customers, go to [USERS & SETTINGS]

My 2011 monthly usage* history, updated 1/13/12):
    Dec 66GB
    Nov 107 GB
    Oct 102GB
    (not recorded)
    Aug 44GB (est)
    July 95GB
    Jun 127GB
    May 105GB
    Apr 92GB
    Mar 65GB

*majority of bandwidth usage is streaming HD movies

4. Athlon646464

Athlon646464 Gold Members DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    I think I remember reading somewhere that watching an HD movie streaming from Netflix uses about 2 gig of your cap. That would mean about 8 hours of HD content each and every day for 30 days to get to 250 gig, assuming that was all you did with your connection.

My guess is that it doesn't use even that much. It would be interesting to know for sure, but everyone's mileage will vary for sure.

I'm using Charter Cable, and so far no caps for me. B)

I also use my internet connection for two VOIP lines (Ooma & Nextiva), but I doubt they use very much bandwidth (unless my wife makes or gets a call :p).

5. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    I called my provider (Time Warner) and without a big cluster, they couldn't even tell me how much bandwidth I use. It seems there are not even close to being setup for it (at least in my area). I told them I was just curious how much I use and they kept telling me not to worry about it.

I really need to know because it's not just about streaming. I also use Carbonite and other things like security cameras.

Am I in favor of caps? Not really but 250GB does seem to be plenty of bandwidth. Plus, it's not really a cap because if you are willing to pay for it, you can go beyond 250GB if need be.

6. Reaper

Reaper Godfather

Jul 30, 2008
    I don't have a problem with usage caps, especially when they're as generous as 250 GB.

7. chachster

chachster Legend

Aug 25, 2004
    If AT&T's CAP was really because of network congestion, it would make sense to throttle down after the CAP was reached. Nope, if you exceed the CAP they will be happy to collect an extra $10 for every overage of 50GB. I'm not in favor as I use carbonite and if I ever had to do a restore, I would be "bandwidth" starved after the restore. With all of these services moving to the Cloud 250GB may be easier to hit than most people are talking about. Especially for a family with teenagers that are Youtubing, Uploading Photos, watching Netflix, listening to music from their Amazon Music Cloud, etc. The CAP should be set by Speed Tier so the more you may you get extra bandwidth to use, or even better since they say the customer wants this, give me my per GB charge and start at 0 and only charge for what is used. That would put a significant hit on the profit as they claim the average user only uses 18gb a month? What's average? I checked facebook, email, watched youtube videos from email links from family and friend, had an auto update of software, and visited iptvconnection.com B) ??

I think its ironic that they put a CAP out and don't offer any U-Verse Internet user I know the ability to see the usage. Seems to work for the traditional DSL users, just not U-Verse.

8. rog47776

rog47776 Cool Member

May 23, 2010
    IMHO, this is just the beginning, and a result of people "cutting the cord" on content, but keeping the Internet access...all from the same provider (at&t / Comcast).

Their issue is not congestion, but you dropping their content. Now, if the Comcast / at&t's can deliver an all on demand and or a pay per view type offer, there would be no reason for users to look elsewhere for movies / shows ( Netflix / Amazon). ...and that would eliminate the need for tiered or pay per use Internet access. I don't see that happening however