1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are You Thinking About Upgrading Another Receiver with an HR20?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Milominderbinder2, Sep 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sep 5, 2007 #1 of 48
    Milominderbinder2

Milominderbinder2 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08

Oct 8, 2006
    I was trying to help someone in this thread:

What the Deals are, and what are you being told by CSR?

...and called DIRECTV to see as an example how it would work to upgrade my old SD TiVo. It was so good it left me thinking...

If the mirroring/lease fee is the same for the old SD DVR as the new HD DVR, why not upgrade?

Even if the TV is SD, why not be able to see the new HD channels now and be ready for a future HDTV?

Is anyone else thinking about replacing an old receiver before the HD wave hits?

- Craig

2. Sep 5, 2007 #2 of 48
    Thaedron

Thaedron Hall Of Fame

Jun 29, 2007
    If it's at little to no out of pocket cost, no real reason not to. If you only record SD content you get a pretty nice capacity upgrade. Not to mention SWM capability, DoD, etc...

My only hesitation is that I just recently got my HR20 (going on 3 months now) and dish upgrade. So I have 21 months left on my commitment. Given this, I am also slightly inclined to wait a couple of months to see if the HR21 comes out and if it has any additional features.

3. Sep 5, 2007 #3 of 48
    Canis Lupus

Canis Lupus You make it, We break it

Oct 16, 2006
    Craig - most definitely.
    I've been going over this in my head for the last few days. Should I ditch that SD TiVo in the bedroom, replace it with an HR-20, then down the road upgrade the TV....hmmmm.
    Problem is, knowing myself, I'll see that new HR sitting there and won't be able to resist upgrading the TV :)
    That Vizio 32" for 599 at Costco looks awfully appealing :)

4. Sep 5, 2007 #4 of 48
    Sirshagg

Sirshagg Hall Of Fame

Dec 29, 2006
    Same here.

I actually went to Costco for the $999 Vizio I saw the week previous to purchase it. In seven short days it went up $100 (must have been a coupon sale or something).

Still looking for the TV and if i thought I could get a deal on a 3rd HR20 (just got two recently) I'd do it.

5. Sep 5, 2007 #5 of 48
    houskamp

houskamp Active Member

Sep 14, 2006
    got my limit now (wife would kill me :p ) but I agree, with D* pricing policy I can't justify anything less than a HR20 for a reciever..

6. Sep 5, 2007 #6 of 48
    HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan New Member

Nov 29, 2005
    I've already done all of my upgrading. I just got a -100 to replace one SD TIVO and the H21 is going to too replace the other. That leaves me with all 5 receivers being HD. One is an HR10-250, which will stay on a SD set (kids room).

I have one last HD set to purchase.

7. Sep 5, 2007 #7 of 48
    Billzebub

Billzebub Godfather

Jan 1, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I just upgradred to a 50 inch samsung DLP. I got my HR20 for free. One thing though, I was told Directv wouldn't install the new dish and the HR20 if I didn't have the HD TV. They actually held my offer until I got the HD TV (OK, after they told me that I got the TV for $889 within 10 days).

8. Sep 5, 2007 #8 of 48
    cnmsales

cnmsales Hall Of Fame

Jan 8, 2007
    I am, MRV will make me jump quicker on doing this

9. Sep 5, 2007 #9 of 48
    HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan New Member

Nov 29, 2005

That's odd. What do they care. This is the first I've heard of this. Others have posted having the install done w/out an HD set.

10. Mr. Furious

Mr. Furious Legend

Feb 9, 2006
    I specifically told them that I didn't have an HDTV yet, and wouldn't be getting one for a few months. They didn't care at all. I'm going to be very careful to make sure that the installer doesn't change my package to include HD when he activates the new receiver; it'd be kind of silly to pay for it w/o the HDTV.

11. HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan New Member

Nov 29, 2005
    I think the HD package is an automatic add-on w/ the upgrade. I could be mistaken...but I think I've seen that in the past.

12. houskamp

houskamp Active Member

Sep 14, 2006
    required package with H & HR series recievers..

13. MIAMI1683

MIAMI1683 New Member

Jul 11, 2007
    ok I did it. my h20 is on a non hd set. using componot cables and set to 480i only. It looks great even on that TV and I will get the new channels in the gust bedroom. For me it was to standardize my UI they are all the same now.

14. Milominderbinder2

Milominderbinder2 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08

Oct 8, 2006
    It's not that silly to have an HR20 going to an SD TV. That way you can still watch the new HD channels. As Thaedron pointed out, the HR20 also gives you VOD, SWM, and more storage.

- Craig

15. Mr. Furious

Mr. Furious Legend

Feb 9, 2006
    I was afraid of that. Maybe I can sweet talk them into some sort of temporary credit; if I can't, though, no biggie. It'll only be a couple of months until we get the new TV.

16. gulfwarvet

gulfwarvet Tips & Resources Collaboration

Mar 7, 2007
    yes, sometime in the very near future. :) But, at the moment can't seem to land a good deal on another HR20. :(

17. BlueSnake

BlueSnake Godfather

Oct 6, 2006
    I ordered my 2nd HR20 on Sunday. I'm replacing an H20 in the bedroom. I figured I might as well get a DVR in there too before the new HD channels are turned on. I wanted to beat the rush.

My thinking was that after the new channels are launched and the HR21 comes out that it would be harder to get a deal.

I think I did pretty good. I just got my 1st HR20 3 month ago, free. When I called to get another one they just kept telling me $299. I called in and told them I was going to cancel service and go to TWC because they would pay my disconnect penalties and no up front cost for HD equipment. Long story short, HR20 for $99, $10 a month service credit for 12 months, and 6 month HD package credit.

It will be installed on Saturday. :D

18. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone DBSTalk Club

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    In my case, both of my D*TiVo's have been upgraded to a SD capacity of about 240 hours, so storage wise, it would be a downgrade for me.
    I'm not planning on getting my HDTV until November or so, so it's probably best for me to wait, right?

I don't see any of the new HD channels that I'd watch (without HD).

Will I not be able to get the same deal on an HR20 (or HR21) in November as I can get now (been with D* for 8 years)?

I especially don't want to risk having to pay for the HD package. It would also put a small crimp in my current distribution/remote system.

19. Sirshagg

Sirshagg Hall Of Fame

Dec 29, 2006
    Definitely!!!

20. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    IF you already have HD on your account, then I agree that migrating to HD only receivers/DVRs is generally desireable. However, I have an R15 that is working just fine, that I have basically no problems with, and is feeding an SD TV. While I can see certain advantages to changing it out to an HR20, I can also think of about 299 reasons not to (and each has a $ sign in front of it). I also have a D11 and a D12, each feeding an SD TV. Same argument, the cost of the HD receiver does not justify the change, in my specific situation and opinion.

Carl

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.