1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Article - TiVo to Step In and Save DirecTV's DVRs

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by daveyboyVA, Aug 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aug 1, 2007 #1 of 29
    daveyboyVA

daveyboyVA New Member

Apr 17, 2007
    Could it be?? It's vague and wanders from Series 2 to HR20, but if true, it's an exciting thaw to the relationship. The article's timing is ironic given the HR20 seems at least stable, if not overflowing with features.

From ExtremeTech .com in the Technology News area (8/1, 5:11 PM)
    (sorry, I'm not allowed to post links)

Full Article:
    Is the love back? It appears so. TiVo said this week that it will develop a software upgrade for DirecTV Series 2 TiVo-branded DVRs, "to enhance the user experience".
    As you might recall, DirecTV essentially severed ties with TiVo to promote its own platform, known as the HR20. We called it "The DVR DirecTV Users Hate to Love," which seems to have been accurate; in multiple threads across the Internet, HR20 users griped, moaned, and otherwise complained -- then told us that they were willing to stick it out.

Now, it appears, the HR20's problems are being tacitly acknowledged.

"Launching in early 2008, the new software download will provide these customers with DVR enhancements offered with the TiVo service, including a Recently Deleted Folder and Overlap Protection, as well as DirecTV's Remote Booking feature," the companies said in a statement. " In addition, DirecTV and TiVo will continue to explore ways to bring future enhancements to DirecTV customers with TiVo receivers." ​

2. Aug 1, 2007 #2 of 29
    tfederov

tfederov Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2005
    This talks about software. Nothing in there mentions the HR10-250 or its lack of MPEG-4 decoders to see the new HD channels that arrive next month.

3. Aug 1, 2007 #3 of 29
    DCSholtis

DCSholtis Up The Irons!

Aug 7, 2002
  4. Aug 1, 2007 #4 of 29
    say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    All D* & TIVO are doing is updating the software on the old DTivo's. The 2 companies have an existing agreement for TIVO to continue to support the old DTivo's. Nothing earth shattering and certainly no indication that D* is going back to TIVO or even having TIVO help program the HR20's.

The article's title is misleading and nothing but groundless speculation.

5. Aug 1, 2007 #5 of 29
    HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan New Member

Nov 29, 2005
    I wonder if this is something that has been in the works and planned for some time or something recent development?

6. Aug 1, 2007 #6 of 29
    Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,2165242,00.asp

I hestitate to post that link... as that has got to the biggest stretch of the imagination of any that I have seen based on the announcement.

The announcement is about updating the 4,000,000 or so SD DTiVos out there.... and possible the HR10-250...

It is not an announcment that the HR20 is being abandond, or anything like that.

I can see if someone wants to say that this may give hope to a new HD DTiVo to be built (which it doesn't, but is certainly more plausable)...
    But to say that this "HR20's problems are being tacitly acknowledged"

Is a 100% crock.

And I don't think you could get any further of a misleading title then that...

7. Aug 1, 2007 #7 of 29
    Jimmmmbo!

Jimmmmbo! Mentor

May 30, 2007
    100% agreed. Journalism at its worst. :nono:

8. Aug 1, 2007 #8 of 29
    Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    Seriously irresponsible blogging ... The author doesn't even attribute the quote to anyone, and in fact, the quote is without context.

9. Aug 2, 2007 #9 of 29
    Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I've posted it in other places... it's good business for DIRECTV to keep existing users happy and good business for TiVo to try to keep people from jumping ship to R15 now that it's getting some care and attention. I absolutely applaud both companies for legacy support, but if anyone has any reliable source to show that it's anything more than legacy support, please post it. I'd love to see it.

10. csgo

csgo Legend

Oct 15, 2006
    I can tell you this much... I know a person that used to work on the Microsoft UltimateTV project for DirecTV. He told me at least two months ago that DirecTV and TiVo were talking again. He said that DirecTV had two reasons. First they're worried about legal issues with TiVo, and secondly DirecTV wants out of the DVR business.

I took his remarks with a grain of salt, but he is, or at least was, in a position to know such things. I don't know who he knows, but I'm sure it would be above the programmer level.

This article seems to concur with what he was saying.

The HR-20 has to be considered a dismal failure for DirecTV. It's close to being stable, but still fails to provide what was advertised or required of a state-of-the-art DVR. The recent actions to move on to fluff instead of fixing the meat and potatoes issues leads me to believe they've reached the limit of the talent they have on hand.

I'll go on record by saying I am NOT a TiVo fan. I've had several different flavors of DVRs and TiVo is not near the top of my list.... they're just the most popular.

At this point in time I suppose I would have to welcome TiVo taking over the DirecTV DVR programs. They at least know how to deliver the basics. The HR-20 was released to the public in what most would consider an alpha release and has not progressed beyond a beta program. It's a shame that such antics were perpetrated on paying customers, but facts are facts.

I hope the info is true and we're provided with software that will actually record when programmed and do the other functions first time, every time, that a basic DVR is supposed to do. When they get that completed they can play with pretty menu colors, VOD, media players and other fluff.

-Joe

11. gio12

gio12 Icon

Jul 31, 2006
    Beta? That's a fact? Your about as clueless as they get. I have had the HR20-700 for almost 2 months now. It's as godd/stable as mt HR10-250 was. I got it, what 2-3 yrs after it was released? The last TIVO updated basically killed the thing! So I guess TiVo really know the basics right? The 6.3d update was the DEATH of the HR10. Did they do this on D* Request?

Now from what I gather, the HR20 was rushed out to the public. BUT it's as stable as the HR10 that I used since last May before the 6.3d update. It's locked up only twice on me, and has NEVER, NEVER missed as recording. I couldn't be happier!

Only thing I miss from the HR10 isd the DLB and their whole SPM set-up/working. The wife misses the WL.

Otherwise I NOW feel ther HR20 is a better product.

If TiVo came back to D* and improved on the HR20 or make a successor that was better and more stable than the 6.3d update, incorporated the ALL the HR20 features and the S3 features then we would all win.

But if the Tivo UI never comes back, then oh well.....

12. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    Someone better let DirecTV know that.... as that couldn't be further from what is going on.

13. csgo

csgo Legend

Oct 15, 2006
    I have no firsthand knowledge either way, but time will tell.

If DirecTV decides to stay in the DVR business I sure hope they do a better job than they've done to date.

-Joe

14. BuffaloDenny

BuffaloDenny Icon

Mar 19, 2007
    Out of curiosity, if TiVo ever did collaborate/take over D* DVR would it just be an update to the HR20 to provide the TiVo interface, or would it require a whole new box? Just a hypothetical speculation of what might be possible.

15. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    I think that technically, given enough time it would be possible for Tivo to port their software to the HR20. But realistically, there is absolutely no way it will ever happen. Ever.

16. bwaldron

bwaldron Impossible Dreamer

Oct 24, 2005
    I would not go so far as to say never, especially given a transition to new ownership. Nor do I think it would necessarily take that long for a Tivo MPEG4 machine to be developed for DirecTV.

I do agree that it is unlikely, especially given that the HR20 has rounded into pretty fine (though not perfect) shape.

17. BubbaDude

BubbaDude AllStar

May 21, 2007
    If the money's right, I'm sure Tivo could get their software to run on the HR20 hardware. The Linux port's already done and basic drivers are in place, etc. There may be some fun and games with reformatting the drive, but the basic software should work OK. But I'm just pulling this out of the air, and don't really know for sure.

18. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    You can apply that thinking to Tivo coming out with an MPEG4 DirecTV DVR of their own, but not to Tivo porting their software to the HR20. DirecTV is a business, and no business would throw away a perfectly good DVR platform just because a bunch of zealots on the Internet think it's not cartoony enough.

19. MikeR

MikeR Hall Of Fame

Oct 5, 2006
    +1. I don't want TiVo near my DVR.

20. HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan New Member

Nov 29, 2005
    Just to clarify: I was referring to the software enhancement to the series 2. Not to the title of the thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.