1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

As TVS grow so will electric bill

Discussion in 'General Satellite Discussion' started by Paul Secic, Jun 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
  2. Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    I could be wrong, but I doubt that my InFocus X-1 which projects an 80" picture consumes as much electricity (and money) as my former 35" Toshiba did. It would be interesting to compare the consumption of a large screen DLP vs. LCD vs. LC, vs. CRT etc.

3. tsmacro

tsmacro Hall Of Fame

Apr 28, 2005
    East...
    Wow, that's an awfully long article just to say that Big Screen TV's are power-hogs! The writer must've been getting paid by the word! *LOL*

4. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Depends on what they are comparing... IF they compare today's 50" projection TV vs today's 75" projection TV... then probably the bigger TV does take more power... and logic would say as screen sizes increase, power consumption would too...

But today's TV sets consume WAY LESS power than much smaller TV sets did when I was a child of the 1970s... so it is a somewhat spurious comparison to just be based on size of the screen alone.

5. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    As I continue my transition to flat-panel displays, my power bill should drop accordingly. Then I'll use all that extra dough to help satisfy my Caddy's appetite for premium grade jet fuel. Zoom-zoom :grin:

6. Jacob S

Jacob S Hall Of Fame

Apr 14, 2002
    Perhaps it would make up for the higher gas prices we are to see especially considering that oil has now went up to a new record high.

7. JohnGfun

JohnGfun Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 16, 2004
    I can believe that they are power hogs. The other day I turned on my plasma and it tripped the breaker! :lol:

8. Nick

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    I kow what you mean. The other day I turned on my hog and plasma came out of its snout, so we had bacon for breakfast. :D

9. George

George New Member

Jun 18, 2005
    Not sure I follow this thread. I thought it was about plasma TVs using more power. Then someone says he is going to save enough by buying them to fuel his car. Then we hear this will somehow "make up for" higher gas prices.

I guess I don't "kow" what you mean.

10. Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    Kow? I am udderly lost. :D

11. SAEMike

SAEMike Banned User

May 29, 2004
    I know (now kow) that it must have been a slow news day for someone to have to write an article telling you that a larger TV is going to use more electricity than a smaller one.

Next week - BREAKING NEWS - SUVs use more gas than a Kia Sedona!

P.S. Sorry Nick, I couldn't resist :D

12. Geronimo

Geronimo Native American Potentate DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002

Then again alls ets made today use less power than sets of the 70s. There are some graphs and tables at the bottom of the article that discuss consumption by TVs of varioss types and sizes and total energy consumption due to TVs.

13. Geronimo

Geronimo Native American Potentate DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002

The article at least tries to make that comparison at the bottom.

14. Nick

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Welcome to the asylum, George. :wave:

As you've surely seen (not scene) by now, posts here in the Potpourri forum run the gamut from the sublime to the ridiculous. This thread is one of the latter.

Some of us get downright giddy around Fathers Day. :grin:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.