1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ASK DBSTalk: DIGITAL OTA scan on pvr 921..

Discussion in 'Other HD Receiver Support Forum (811, 921, 942)' started by instylemale, Jun 29, 2004.

1. instylemale

instylemale Cool Member

Jun 28, 2004
    If i tell the 921 to scan for digital local ota signals it finds none....if i take that antenna coax and run it straight to my lcd xbr hdtv, the tv has digital and analog scan as well, the antenna picks up 8 digital local channels....ie. abc=7 so 7 is the analog channel and 7.1 would be the digital channel....makes me think definatley something wrong with my 921

2. John Walsh

John Walsh Godfather/Supporter

Apr 22, 2002
    Sounds like it may be a problem with the 921. What is your zip code? I easily pick up any station within 20 miles of my crappy antenna that is installed in my attic. Try http://antennaweb.org/aw/Address.aspx to see how far away you are and they will recommend antennas to you also. Your TV may just accept weaker signals. Also check your coax connectors - they sometimes come loose.

3. David_Levin

David_Levin Icon/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 22, 2002
    instylemale:

Get the channel list from antennaweb. Remember what you see as 7.1 on your xbr is really broadcast on a different channel and remapped to 7.1 (for your convenience).

On the 921 go to the add local dtv screen and try adding the channel without the auto-scan (using it's real number). Are you getting anything on the signal strength screen?

Perhaps if you tell us what region you're in you can compare notes with other local users.

4. instylemale

instylemale Cool Member

Jun 28, 2004
    I am in the detroit area zip code is 48331..........i have a great 6ft antenna getting 18db of signal....is there a way to do as suggested above and find out what the EXACT channel is and add directly to 921 without "scanning"
    Get the channel list from antennaweb. Remember what you see as 7.1 on your xbr is really broadcast on a different channel and remapped to 7.1 (for your convenience).

5. instylemale

instylemale Cool Member

Jun 28, 2004
    i just looked up at that website and it says the furthest one is only 12.2 miles away others are 4.9 and 8.1..miles what to do now...

6. jsanders

jsanders Hall Of Fame

Jan 21, 2004
    If you are using the same zip code as what is listed for detroit, then try and add the digital channels manually.

62.1 --> digital 44
    56.1 --> digital 43
    41.1 --> digital 41
    50.1 --> digital 14
    21.1 --> digital 21
    02.1 --> digital 58
    04.1 --> digital 45
    39.1 --> digital 39
    11.1 --> digital 17
    28.1 --> digital 52

7. jsanders

jsanders Hall Of Fame

Jan 21, 2004
    To be specific, 18dB isn't a unit of measure, it is a multiplier. In terms of power, 18dB means multiply by 63. In terms of voltage, 18dB means multiply by 7.94. If you are talking about signal to noise ratios, then to find the signal strength, you multiply these figures by the noise level. If it is just describing signal by itself, then it needs to be with reference to something. 18dBmw, 18dBuv, 18dBw refer to 18dB with reference to watts, milliwatts, and microvolts. Two are power, one is voltage.

8. instylemale

instylemale Cool Member

Jun 28, 2004
    can u also please find what 7.1 or abc is in the detroit area....u didnt list that above thanks!!
    also when i try to ADD a dtv station then click save the screen flitches exits that menu and goes back to what i was watching.....i go to guide and its not there...so i guess i cant ADD manually :(

9. Bogney

Bogney Legend

Jul 11, 2003
  10. Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    After selecting SAVE, try to tune to the channel by entering 00701 on the remote to see if the channel is there or not - if you are using a Favorites list other than AllSub or All Chan, then your OTA channels will not show up in the guide.