1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ASK DBSTalk: fan running?

Discussion in 'Other HD Receiver Support Forum (811, 921, 942)' started by jeftut, Jan 18, 2004.

1. jeftut

jeftut New Member

Jan 18, 2004
    L142hecd-n
    boot 120b
    flash f051
    dishnetwork rec.

can anyone tell me, when you power down the 921,is the fan suppose to keep running all the time?

2. guruka

guruka Troublemaker/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Dec 27, 2003

Yes, it's not actually off, just in standby mode so it can start immediately if a timer fires. The actual boot time from a cold start is way too long to wait.

Loud isn't it? <g>

.....G

3. jeftut

jeftut New Member

Jan 18, 2004
    thanks,no not really. was just curious.

4. Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    The fan runs all the time. I'm just glad that it's quieter than the 6000 8vsb fan was.

5. SJ HART

SJ HART Legend

Feb 11, 2003
    I wish it was even quieter! My HT equipment rack is not closed and therefore you can really hear it. I'm thinking about building a box around it and putting it somewhere else. Even putting a towel over the front panel seems to diminish the sound (I believe that is where the fans are). I've never noticed my 721 (in our family room) because it is in a closed entertainment center. SJ

6. BarryO

BarryO Legend

Dec 16, 2003
    Uh, the whole idea of the fans are to increase airflow to keep the internal components from overheating. Putting a towel over the front (one of the fans is toward the front, I believe) kinda defeats the purpose, doesn't it?

I can imagine Dish engineers cringing when they read this...

7. SJ HART

SJ HART Legend

Feb 11, 2003
    I don't believe that air comes in from the front panel, but instead from the sides. I'll have to go look at the pictures again that someone posted on another forum. By the way, the towel was just an example, I'm not actually doing that. However, it points out that they could have problably insulated the unit more to absorb the sound. I probably will build sometype of enclosure (with adequate air flow) or move the entire unit to the garage (which is right next to our HT)....