1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Asking for my Bro - Installation Inquiry

Discussion in 'DIRECTV DVR with TiVo Discussion' started by markman07, Nov 28, 2012.

1. markman07

markman07 Godfather

Dec 22, 2005
    Minnesota
    My brother currently has two older series two directivos. I'm not sure on the exact dish type but it has 2 cables coming from the dish into the multi-switch with 4 coming out of it to the two series 2 tivos. The time has come where he is upgrading one of the tivos to the THR22-100. The installer told him he would need a new dish and would need to have 4 cables come from the dish into the house. Is this correct? I believe the THR22-100 supports SWM. Is it the other older series 2 tivo that is making this setup require 4 cables coming into the house instead of 1?

My setup is a HR20's with only one wire coming in and I am very rusty with the setup that includes Directv Tivos including the new HD model and the older ones.

Thanks for enlightening me.

Mark

2. west99999

west99999 Icon

May 11, 2007
    Yes the older tivo is not swm compatible and the new tivo is HD and will require a new dish that will require 4 cables to a quad ground block and the old multiswitch will come out.

3. markman07

markman07 Godfather

Dec 22, 2005
    Minnesota
    Thanks. So if he got rid of old series 2 or replaced that one also with a new HD tivo he could get by with the SWM setup (1 wire required to come into the house to the ground block)?

4. litzdog911

litzdog911 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Yes.