1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Aspect ratio issues after moving tv from TV1 to TV2

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by mthhurley, Mar 21, 2009.

1. mthhurley

mthhurley Cool Member

Jan 10, 2008
    I have a 32" Sharp Aquos LCD (1080i) that has been our TV1 for a couple of years...no issues, looked fine. TV2, up in our bedroom, was an old 27" standard tube set. We just upgraded to a 50" plasma, so everything rotated...out went the tube, the 32" Sharp went upstairs to become TV2, and the plasma is now TV1.

TV1 is great.... :)

However, the Sharp on TV2 doesn't look right from an aspect ratio perspective (and it was fine when it was TV2). On full screen channels, the top and bottom 1/2" or so of the screen is too big for the display. For example, the CNN banner on the bottom of the screen is mostly cut off and on ABC, the logo is cut in half.

I've checked the settings on the VIP722 and it's set for 16:9.
    TV2 gets its' signal now by coax and was previously HDMI as TV1.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

2. Big C

Big C New Member

Aug 10, 2008
    I would check the tv2 output setting on the 722, it sounds like it is in zoom and then check the Sharp picture size setting.

3. JackDobiash

JackDobiash Legend

Jul 20, 2005
    Are you single or Dual mode? In Dual Mode, TV2 is restricted to a 4x3 picture so you'll have to adjust your TV to match that. In Single Mode it matches whatever TV1 is set to.

Being able to control TV2's aspect ratio is a feature we'd all like to have added. :)

4. ChuckA

ChuckA Hall Of Fame

Feb 7, 2006
    Your HD tv is now an SD TV. TV2 is SD only and has different Aspect Ratio (Zoom) settings than TV1 does.

5. Papa Midnight

Papa Midnight Cool Member

Mar 17, 2009
    As previously mentioned, unfortunately, the TV2 output is not ATSC or ClearQAM and is instead NTSC. Perhaps there will be an update which can convert this to a QAM output, but hey, I'm just dreaming...