1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aspect ratio of HBO/Cinemax/Showtime

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by samthegam, Aug 22, 2013.

1. samthegam

samthegam Cool Member

Dec 11, 2011
    I have a Sharp LED television and Samsung Plasma Television. Using the HR44 and HR24. On the Sharp tv I use dot by dot mode instead of stretch and on the Samsung Plasma I use screen fit instead of 16X9. However, I have noticed on both tvs that HBO/CINEMAX will have a thin black bar on top and no bars on bottom, and on Showtime, no bar on top but a thin bar on bottom of screen, this is most noticeable during "Dexter" and "Ray Donovan" However, if turn the stretch mode on the sharp & 16X9 on Samsung the bars are gone. I had assumed that these channels send out a 1:77 16X9 signal that should fill the screen like the other channels do.

2. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Yes;

Alas, nothing is perfect in the world unfortunately;

If you're going to use those 1:1 pixel mapping display modes (i.e. no overscan) you're essentially taking away the broadcaster's and/or STB's processing margin for error. So if the picture is not perfectly centered by either or both of these entities you are going to see these kinds of edge defects.

Now some models of TV sets I understand allow you to move the image a few pixels one way or the other to try and cover those bars. While others allow you to tweak the picture to add in a slight amount of overscan while using a 1:1 pixel mode. IOW, a 1.01:1 pixel mode or something.

But outside of that you are simply going to have to use the stretch and 16:9 modes on those sets when viewing broadcast TV to allow for such centering errors, or just put up with it.

I realize you may prefer it, but 1:1 pixel display modes should really be used for computer displays and maybe equipment like BD players or some other, not for broadcast TV.

3. samthegam

samthegam Cool Member

Dec 11, 2011
    Thanks for the reply. I set the tv to stretch & 16x9 mode and left the 1:1 mode for Blu Ray