1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Asus RT-N66U

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by kevinturcotte, Mar 27, 2012.

1. kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte Active Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    Does anybody have the Asus RT-N66U router? Wondering if it is possible to detach one of the antennas and attach a different wired one about 30 feet away (I have a main spot where I'd like the router, but I'd like to place an antenna in a window for better coverage)? EXACTLY what kind of cable would I use for this? Antenna recommendations?

2. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    The losses in the antenna cable at 30' would far outweigh the placement of the antenna. You'd be better off (and possibly as cheap) finding an N router (refurb for cheaper) and run cat5 from your current router to the LAN port of the new one - turn off DHCP and set the same SSID / security key and to a different N channel.

3. kevinturcotte

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    What about 2 cables with an amplifier in between? If not, any problem running Cat6/cat7 cable 30 feet?

4. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    Cat 5 / 6 / 7 can go 300 feet between ethernet nodes. Cable is cheap. In fact, go further than 30' to get the AP centralized to the area you want to cover.

Consumer amplifiers (read inexpensive) at 2.4 Ghz or 5 Ghz aren't available. There are some 'range extenders' but I'd go the AP route or use dd-wrt and convert a router to a client bridge.

5. kevinturcotte

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    That would get it where I want it without taking it outside (Which would be IDEAL, but I realize that's not going to happen).