1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AT&T/Dish Network Service

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Tubbie, Aug 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tubbie

Tubbie Cool Member

Jun 21, 2007
    Hello, everyone.

First off, I'm a newbie to digital satellite TV. I've been a long time customer of Comcast (even longer before that with Viacom!) cable TV until someone slaps my face and said "Why?" Now I'm with the Dish Network via AT&T. I'm located in Milpitas, CA, and it's so far so good with everything (with the exception of mysterious programming charges on my bill) in terms of receptions, both pictures and sound quality.

I also recently had opted to enable the USB port to be used with an external HDD. I have a Cavalry 500GB drive and it works (so far) flawlessly. I have made a 39GB of show programmings transfer from the Vip622 to the external drive without a hitch.

The only thing that irks me about being an AT&T/Dish Network customer is that if there is something technical or question about service subscription with my satellite TV is that I have to go through AT&T instead of going through the Dish Network. AT&T webisite is probably among the worst if you wan to get help or answer about your digital satellite TV if you don't want to call and being put on hold for 10-15 minutes at a time.

I have a HD-DVR Advantage subscription (with 18 mos of contract) with 200 channels programming with (supposedly) free HD channels for 1 year. AT&T also charges me $5/mo for local channels, and $6/mo to lease the Vip622 HD-DVR receiver.

I'd like to start a thread for those who are customers of AT&T/Dish Network to compare notes. Please share your experience whether it's good or bad so that we can all be informed. Thank you in advance!

-Sydney

2. Ray_Clum

Ray_Clum Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Actually, when you call in to the at&t Dish Network number, you actually are getting Dish Network service. They've just sequestered a group of Dish CSR's and have them call themselves at&t|Dish Network...

3. stringray13

stringray13 Cool Member

Jul 12, 2007
    Any technology related questions are best asked in forums such as these, in my experience.

Asking anyone in a call center anything beyond billing information is a good way to lose your temper and never find it again.

Good luck!

4. Tubbie

Tubbie Cool Member

Jun 21, 2007
    Thanks, fellas. As I've said, so far so good. No down time or any bad picture or sound quality as yet. Hopefully the service stays consistent.

Thanks Ray_Clum's for the heads up on AT&T / Dish Network CSR. So far, I've only spoken to an AT&T regarding only billing. I supposed that if a technical issue occurred and I called AT&T for help, they probably will send my call to the tech tier. I'd logged on to Dish website and tried out their online help chat feature but the guy on the other stated that they can't help me and I need to contact AT&T for my Dish service and gave me a specific number to call. Go figure.

Take care, fellas!

5. schneid

schneid Godfather

Aug 13, 2007
    Agreed that the ATT website is worthless. I, however, have their Homezone service at telephonic tech support is great. They speak an English dialect (US) that is understandable and know their product. They also know its faults and don't do a lot of "blame the customer" support. If they don't know the answer, they will get it even if that means calling you back the next day.

To get by the gate keepers use (888) 722-9337 ext 941# NOTE: This is for ATT Homezone (2Wire) support only.

6. exegesis48

exegesis48 Mentor

Aug 8, 2007
    I'm just a regular Dish Network customer and I receive the same charges as you. Cable charges you the same DVR lease fee, but as far as local channels go, they just hide the charge in their normal rates. With Dish Network you have a choice if you want to pay them for the local channels, but if you have an antenna, you can get them for free, so they don't force everyone to pay it. I happily pay for the local channels through Dish AND I have an antenna. That way i can record one hi-def program over the antenna and two others at the same time over the Dish. Get it?

7. Tubbie

Tubbie Cool Member

Jun 21, 2007
    Thank you both Schneid and Exegesis48 for your posts!

8. Ohioankev

Ohioankev Legend

Jan 19, 2006
    This is a good one, i love calling the AT&T DISH # that i have set to speed dial on my phone and being on hold for an hour and when i finally get someone they claim that they are dish network and that i need to cal AT&T DISH... when i tell them that i dialed the number to AT&T DISH they act as if i'm a liar.. Makes me wish i can just reach through the phonelines and knock them out. Good times, good times.
    This occurance happens 40% of the time.

9. stanggt03

stanggt03 Mentor

Jun 13, 2006
    Call 866-722-7500. Anything billing related will take you to AT&T, otherwise, you'll speak to "AT&T Dish" reps. Just make sure you enter your AT&T number, and not a cell phone number.

10. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    Just curious... Does at&t allow you to sub to the "adult" channels? Another E*/telco matchup (Windstream) is blocking access to the 490's involuntarily.

11. Wicker 54

Wicker 54 AllStar

May 7, 2006
    I dropped E for D and got the bundle package thru AT&T... saving me 15 $$ a month on my bill.... have to say i like D better......

12. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    How are you getting "D" with a bundle from at&t? In these parts the at&t bundle is "E".

13. Ray_Clum

Ray_Clum Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    He's in an old Bell South area, which partnered with DirecTV.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.