1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AT&T may bid for EchoStar by year's end: Barron's

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by MikeR7, Oct 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeR7

MikeR7 Icon

Jun 17, 2006
    http://www.thestreet.com/_yahoo/newsanalysis/techtelecom/10384642.html?cm_ven=YAHOO&cm_cat=FREE&cm_ite=NA

For the entire article click the link above.

2. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Boy, I'm glad they're not going after D*, if this happens I feel sorry for all the E* customers.

3. sgip2000

sgip2000 Cool Member

Jun 5, 2007
    Anyone remember AT&T's buyout of TCI?

4. rdiedrich

rdiedrich Legend

Sep 10, 2007
    yah it did not go so hot, but their highspeed was the thing to have there for a bit.

Randy

5. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    Um who's buying D? Oh John Malone, former CEO of TCI:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :eek2:

6. SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg Active Member

Aug 30, 2004
    At $65 a share don't feel bad for we stockholders. :)

7. Bijou Media

Bijou Media Mentor

Jul 28, 2007
    I've heard rumors about this for two years now, looks like ATT is pulling the trigger this time.

8. He Save Dave

He Save Dave Legend

Jun 5, 2006
    How is this bad for Dish customers?

9. armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    Let me list a few facts and let you figure out the plan.

AT&T is rolling out a full blown over the copper lines high speed internet(ADSL) with entertainment(28meg) service for the tv entertainment. And spending a mint to sell it as a bundled service.

Bellsouth now AT&T has and is offering a discount to those who sign up for Direct tv.

Meanwhile, Oppenheimer that it is a matter of “when, not if” AT&T acquires EchoStar. His basic theory is that AT&T’s U-verse television offering has been an expensive disappointment, and that the company needs to change its approach to delivery video.

Speculation anyone?

How bought AT&T buys all' them, huh?

10. JM Anthony

JM Anthony Child of the 60's DBSTalk Gold Club

Nov 16, 2003
    I'm not going to worry about something I have no control over, especially since it hasn't happened yet and where we don't know the consequences. Who knows, maybe it will turn out great and there will be more service offerings for us to take advantage of.

John

11. He Save Dave

He Save Dave Legend

Jun 5, 2006
    What?

12. SMosher

SMosher Godfather

Jan 16, 2006
    This sucks. It was talked about 3 years ago when I worked for SBC in California.

It was nice when it was PacBell. Then SBC came in a jacked the whole place up.

The internal mess SBC created was not good. 2 years ago the idea of lightspeed came up. WE called it 'slightspeed'. We knew the project would never take off correctly cause the internal workings of the company was a complete joke. I'm still shocked today that we get a dial tone. The 'slightspeed' project went stale to a point when the purchase of AT&T came about thus slowing its release even more. Again I point back to 'slightspeed'. In the 'slightspeed' meeting it was talked about to buy E* if 'slightspeed' fails. I said it then, I'll say it now. ITS NOT GOOD FOR THE CUSTOMER!

We pictured this in our heads...

1) Layoffs.
    2) Crap support.
    3) Customer disatisfaction.
    4) Customers leaving E*
    5) D* buys failing E* from AT&T.

Remember this isnt AT&T buying E*. This is SBC buying E*. So it will be worse!

13. bairdjc

bairdjc Legend

Sep 22, 2005
    at least in my neighborhood, AT&T has been in kahoots with Dish for some time - in areas where uverse is not available (which is the majority of their territory), you can sign up for E* and get the service bundled - the dish even has an AT&T (or SNET, SBC, etc) logo on it!

14. SMosher

SMosher Godfather

Jan 16, 2006
    Same here.

15. Lord Vader

Lord Vader Supreme Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    The 1984 breakup to today. We've come full circle, haven't we?

16. SMosher

SMosher Godfather

Jan 16, 2006

That was the running joke around work when I was there.

17. Hound

Hound Icon

Mar 20, 2005
    From Today's WSJ:

Dishing It Up:
    AT&T-EchoStar
    As Tie-Up Rumors Fly,
    Bankers Vie for Invite
    To Formal 'Bake-Off'
    October 17, 2007; Page C3
    Investors in orbit over a possible acquisition of EchoStar Communications by AT&T may want to return to earth.

Rumors about a tie-up were flying yesterday, stoked by reports from TheStreet.com and a Citigroup analyst. (Indeed, speculation took off in late September when EchoStar said it was considering separating its satellite-television business, known as Dish Network, from businesses including its cable set-top-box maker.) After speaking yesterday to bankers who follow the industry, we don't expect AT&T will be pulling the trigger on a purchase of the $23 billion satellite-TV company any time soon.

Why? Turns out a number of bankers have been pitching the Dish business to AT&T, but they haven't been solicited by the telecom giant in a formal "bake-off" to see who gets the gig. Also, should EchoStar go ahead with the breakup, it could have to go into a moratorium for an estimated six months to two years to keep the deal's tax-free status.

The September announcement could have been EchoStar CEO Charlie Ergen's attempt to light a fire under any potential suitor, so there is no guarantee a deal won't come together in the next few months. Still, if AT&T were so eager to do a deal, why resort to what bankers call the "I'll shoot myself" strategy to bring them to the negotiating table?

Officials at both companies declined to comment.

18. HobbyTalk

HobbyTalk Hall Of Fame

Jul 14, 2007
    Same here. And when you call in for "Dish" support at AT&T, at least you get an english speaking person.

19. He Save Dave

He Save Dave Legend

Jun 5, 2006
    Same here. We had the bundle.

20. Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB119314123850168314.html
    The Dish on AT&T's Satellite Plans
    More....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.