1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AT&T Starts Metered Billing Trial In Reno

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by Steve Mehs, Nov 3, 2008.

1. Nov 3, 2008 #1 of 43
    Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    As per Broadband Reports

2. Nov 3, 2008 #2 of 43
    Smthkd

Smthkd Icon

Sep 1, 2004
    Well, this is the kind of $H!^@ You can expect when the FCC allowed them to MONOPOLIZE the telco industry by taking over Bellsouth. I knew something was going to happen eventually when the FCC imposed on them to provide a cheap package for new customers. Well, here's their idea to generate more money without breaking that agreement. Provide a $20 Dsl package with a 150gig max usage and charge $1 for every gig over the contracted amount! What a bunch of corporate A$$ES!!!!!

3. Nov 4, 2008 #3 of 43
    philslc

philslc Legend

Dec 2, 2006
    Pay for what you use. What a novel concept.

4. Nov 4, 2008 #4 of 43
    Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    Broadband ISPs have been selling their services as unlimited for years and years. Bandwidth is not just something you run out of. I can pay a flat rate for phone service, why not broadband?

5. Nov 4, 2008 #5 of 43
    harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Because your voice conversations take less bandwidth now than they did the first time you talked on the phone.

There was a time when all Internet traffic was throttled by the modem speeds of the day. Today, when computers are capable of chewing up multi-gigabytes a day, they may have reached the practical limit.

6. Nov 4, 2008 #6 of 43
    Lee L

Lee L Hall Of Fame

Aug 15, 2002
    I wonder if they will exempt DirecTV DOD from this since they now have the deal where they sell DirecTV?

7. Nov 4, 2008 #7 of 43
    Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    So you support caps and metered billing on something that's traditionally been flat rate?

8. Nov 4, 2008 #8 of 43
    philslc

philslc Legend

Dec 2, 2006
    Yes!

9. Nov 4, 2008 #9 of 43
    Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    Why? I see absolutely no benefit to meter access, except more money for ISPs. It's pretty sad to see people actually support this crap.

10. IcedOmega13

IcedOmega13 Legend

Mar 3, 2008
    bad for the consumer yes, but at a buisness stand point I can only imagine the fear that most isp's realized when peer to peer exchange reared its head. It really comes down to that. p2p will kill flat rate internet. There are to many people taking advantage of that, which in turn runs the cost up for everyone.
    If a company provides a service with an expectation of use, but then ends up providing more an never raises their price how would they come up with the funds to maintain the servers to keep it all going? I can't blaim them, but I'm not gonna be happy with it. (especially if it gets to my area)

11. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Computer based communities haven't traditionally been flat rate. Flat rate is something that didn't appear until the '90s. Some regions of the World remain usage sensitive today.

12. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    The benefit might be that you might get what you pay for. Currently if you subscribe to most broadband services, you get some claptrap about "up to" speeds that are usually 40-200% higher than you'll typically experience.

13. Lee L

Lee L Hall Of Fame

Aug 15, 2002
    I remain open to see this turn out differently, but why do I get the feeling that metered billing will result in paying the same up front cost that we do now, with the same exact quality of service we have now, but with the added bonus of paying more if we use more than what they want us to. Instead, they should drop the up front cost a little and use any additional money they bring in in overage fees to improve the network.

14. HIPAR

HIPAR Icon

May 15, 2005
    For those into web surfing, email and who occasionally watch YouTube, there won't be a any noticeable service changes. If you think the internet was conceived to watch high definition TV 'on the cheap', then you won't be happy.

--- CHAS

15. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I don't like it... but I understand it.

Again there is a certain irony to what people expect companies to do for them vs what they do for companies.

If you think it is a right to have unlimited internet at a flat rate forever... do you also think you should work for a flat rate at your job forever? Or would you like to be paid according to how much and the quality of the work that you do?

16. Smthkd

Smthkd Icon

Sep 1, 2004
    I hate this idea of metered ISP. Especially when other countries are using BETTER technology and HIGHER speed/bandwidth capabilities. Instead of squeezing every penny out of the consumer, how about upgrading our system to handle the change!

17. philslc

philslc Legend

Dec 2, 2006
    All it takes is money. Where do you think the money is going to come from?

18. Lee L

Lee L Hall Of Fame

Aug 15, 2002
    Well, it would be kind of like your company says, well, I know we always had an annual review cycle for raises and that is the understanding you had when you were hired, but now, we are going to stop giving raises so suck it. Sure, you can decide to leave and go somewhere else, but if there are only 2 other employers in town and they do the same thing, you are pretty mcuh stuck.

19. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    I pay for 15Mb down, thanks to Powerboost I get anywhere from 20-30Mb down, if the connection on the other end can support speeds that fast. More often then not I maximize my connection out. When downloading from the big guys like Microsoft, Apple, Adobe, et al, I get 14Mb+ all the time. I've had Road Runner for 4 years, been provisioned for 3Mb, 5Mb, 6Mb, 8Mb and now 15Mb, never had any problem reaching and maintaining ~95% of my allotted provisioned bandwidth on a consistent basis.

Well broadband has traditionally been flat rate, screw the other ' computer based communities' we're talking broadband here specifically, not anything else. 15 years ago AOL billed by the hour but that went away after awhile. So I guess you want to go back to the good ole days then

It really amazes me. For a group of individuals who live for high tech that there isn't a bigger backlash. Or maybe it's because we're talking about a telco ISP here, not one of those evil EVIL cableco ISPs. When there's mention about Comcast's cap, or TW trial cap in Texas, wholly crap, the world was going to end. Now that this is a telco, I guess they get the free pass, as did Frontier and they're 5Gb/month policy.

20. boelters

boelters AllStar

Feb 10, 2008
    Will spam emails be deducted from the amount metered? Users do not request the spam emails, why should they have to pay to have them delivered.

Maybe this would be a good way to get some action or reducing spam. Remember when laws were created to reduce spam faxes?

Would this type of change void their franchise agreements with governmental entities? If so, maybe different ISP’s would come in and offer services. Especially if the new ISP’s would be allowed to use the same wiring, etc.