1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AT&T to Acquire T-Mobile USA from Deutsche Telekom

Discussion in 'IPTV Hardware' started by Chris Blount, Mar 20, 2011.

1. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    Interesting development. This should expand AT&T's coverage which should make some people happy.

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20110320005040/en/ATT-Acquire-T-Mobile-USA-Deutsche-Telekom

2. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    This ought to increase AT&T's 4G capacity.

Mike

3. dodge boy

dodge boy R.I.P. Chris Henry

Mar 31, 2006
    Since I am an out of contract T-Mobile customer I sure hope they do not add one to me now. I wish I would have known this before I bought a replacement for my old phone off Ebay... I might just switch my phone, my mom's phone and girlfriend's to Credo or Boost now since I provide their cell phone service for them..... I have AT&T DSL and got their new agreement, and they can basically throw me on Uverse internet and jack my rates without notice, if the only alternative in my warea wasn't Time Warner they'd be yanked out of my house. I heard my hometown is looking into free WiFi for it's citizens, it would be great!!! But I have a feeling since Telecoms own House and Senate in this country it will never happen like Europe... :)

4. inkahauts1367066121

inkahauts1367066121 New Member

Feb 16, 2011

Your DSL with them is totally separate from their wireless no matter how much they want you to think they are run by the same people. They just aren't, at least not right now.... Basically, they want to get rid of non uverse, and just have uverse. They don't want two products that do the same thing being sold and dealt with in the same area. If you ever switch to uverse, you won't be able to switch back. In my area all the prices between the two are the same for the same services as well, except for a few esoteric things, like uverse phone being cheaper for the service, but more for keeping you number out of the phone book.

They do not appear to have plans anytime soon to start forcing people over to uverse, although it really wouldn't change your service anytime soon. They just want to do it through natural upgrades right now.

5. dodge boy

Mar 31, 2006
    There new TOS says that when it is available in my area I can be switched without notice, they do have a plan that is the same price as my "elite speed", I see now. I thought since I have their fastest DSL speed they would throw me on their fastest Uverse speed that is about 65 a month.....

here is my letter with links to their new T.O.S.

AT&T
    AT&T
    Important Updates to your AT&T Internet
    Terms of Service
    See below for Spanish
    Refiérase abajo para español
    Dear AT&T Internet Service Customer:

We are updating the AT&T High Speed Internet Terms of Service. We are making these changes to provide greater clarity around the terms of your service and to help us deliver a consistent, high-quality service experience for all of our customers.

We’ve reinforced this notice with additional links providing answers to frequently asked questions. Of course, we are ready and available to answer any questions you may have and to discuss individual account needs or concerns.

Here's a summary of the updates:

• Introduction Revision: We have added email as a separate service because
    we now offer customers without our high speed Internet service the ability to have
    an att.net email.

• Changes to this Agreement: We have changed the acceptance provision so that
    you are now deemed to have accepted the changes to the agreement after the
    30 day notice has passed, rather than immediately after receipt.

• AT&T High Speed Internet Service: We have moved the speed tiers to a link
    within the agreement, www.att.com/speedtiers for easy reference.

• Service Availability: We have added language to clarify that service is not
    available in all areas, and may not be available at certain speeds (or at all) at
    some locations.

• Service/Site Changes: We have added language stating that AT&T may need to
    modify or discontinue your service, either temporarily or permanently.

• Conversion from DSL to U-verse High Speed Internet: We have added
    language to this agreement that will allow us to convert customers from our DSL
    network to the AT&T U-verse High Speed network, where available.

• Usage: We've added a link at www.att.com/internet-usage where customers can
    go to get information about AT&T's data usage policy and managing their data
    usage.

• Dial-up Access Options and Toll Charges: We have added language to clarify
    specific charges that may be incurred. Such charges are your responsibility to pay.

• Collection Agency Fees: We have added language that you are responsible for
    paying collection agency fees AT&T incurs when recovering any money owed to us.

• Email and Termination or Cancellation of Service: We have added language
    explaining that you will keep your email address if you choose to terminate service.

• Abusive Treatment: We have added language that allows AT&T to terminate the
    service of customers who repeatedly harass or abuse our employees.

• Equipment & Software: We have added language to address U-verse equipment
    that is not owned by the customer, and needs to be returned after termination of
    service.

• Restrictions on Use & Network Management: We have added language
    to make clear that the AT&T Acceptable Use Policy is incorporated into the terms
    of service. Also, to protect our network from harm and to help us ensure a high
    quality Internet experience for all of our customers, we have added language
    about reasonable network management practices that AT&T may adopt. We will
    provide you with advance notice and details if we implement new network
    management practices that directly impact your service.

• Content: We have added language about mobile data charges for forwarding
    content from the att.net web site to a mobile device.

We encourage you to review the revised terms and acceptable use policy. Please visit:

• www.att.com/tos2011
    • www.corp.att.com/aup

Please note, that by continuing to use the Service, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions set forth in the Terms of Service document.

Visit our online support site at www.att.com/tos2011-faq for a list of Frequently Asked Questions.

Thank you for being an AT&T Internet member. We are happy to have you as part of our online community and look forward to continuing to serve your Internet needs.

Sincerely,
    Your AT&T Internet Service Customer Care Team

On a side note I'd love to send them a letter saying that their service to me will be free, failure to disconnect within 24 hours means thay accept those terms... :rolling:

6. Chris Blount

Jun 22, 2001
    T-Mobile answers some questions about the AT&T purchase. Basically, no iPhone at least for now.

"T-Mobile USA remains an independent company. The acquisition is expected to be completed in approximately 12 months. We do not offer the iPhone. We offer cutting edge devices like the Samsung Galaxy S 4G and coming soon our new Sidekick 4G."

Source: Engadget

7. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    I heard this morning (NPR) that it would probably be a year before the possibility of an iPhone for the current T-Mobile customers.

Even so, Apple must be doin’ a happy dance at the prospect of an additional pool 35 million customers to market the iPhone to...maybe even a 4G iPhone 5? :)

Mike

8. inkahauts1367066121

Feb 16, 2011

ATT will not just bump your plan, it will stay the same.. And frankly, their pricing for home phone is better on uverse.. All in all, its actually a good thing, once you start digging into it...

9. dodge boy

Mar 31, 2006
    Yeah I think I may have jumped the gun since they have an exact same plan as mine under Uverse, I was just worried they'd move me to the 65 dollar a month Uverse plan and I would not know about it until I received a bill.

10. dodge boy

Mar 31, 2006
    got another interesting email today along with a petition for anyone interested....

Dear XXXX,

AT&T, the nation's second-largest mobile phone company, is pushing forward its plan to take over T-Mobile, the fourth-largest carrier.

This deal would form a communications colossus not seen since the monopoly days of Ma Bell. Two companies, AT&T and Verizon, would control close to 80 percent of the mobile market in America.

For the hundreds of millions of people who rely on handheld phones every day, that equation spells disaster:

Join Our Action. Stop this Train Wreck.

Now, AT&T's PR machine is spinning like crazy to convince you that they've got your best interests at heart ... and that the Washington bureaucrats at the Department of Justice and FCC should rubber-stamp this merger.

Their spin doctors say that the "synergies" of the deal will lower prices, improve quality of service, and "expand America's workforce," providing thousands of new jobs.

This is bunk.

Name one merger in history that has resulted in more choices and lower prices for consumers. Name one merger that has actually created jobs for Americans and not resulted in more pink slips.

AT&T's takeover of T-Mobile would take away choice at a time when demand for mobile access is growing. And a lack of choice means higher prices for everyone. Free Press and our allies are determined to protect the public from this train wreck of a deal. Thousands of people need to act before Washington can cave in — once again — to industry.

Add your name now now and urge your friends on Facebook to join in.

The future of the Internet is mobile. Americans need more than two companies controlling our mobile phones.

Thank you for speaking out,

Timothy Karr
    Campaign Director
    Free Press
    SavetheInternet.com

P.S. The National Conference for Media Reform is next month in Boston! This huge event will bring together thousands of media makers, journalists, policymakers, academics and activists to discuss how we can fix the media. Register now.

P.P.S. Read my blog post to learn more about how this deal is bad news for everyone.

11. inkahauts1367066121

Feb 16, 2011
    This is one of the very few mergers that i have seen that I don;t mind and actually think would be a good thing. It would allow for more local competitors to get a bigger foot hold too...

12. Chris Blount

Jun 22, 2001
    Here's a pretty good article from The Daily about the buyout. He has some valid points:

http://www.thedaily.com/page/2011/03/23/032311-apps-accesspoint-attmo-1-2/