1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AT&T To Fire Victims: If You Didn’t Take Cable Box From Burning House, Pay Us $300

Discussion in 'The OT' started by apexmi, Oct 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. apexmi

apexmi Godfather

Jul 8, 2006
  2. JDubbs413

JDubbs413 Icon

Sep 4, 2007
    Yeah, that is pretty bad. Like somebody made the comment though, she will be able to use insurance money to pay for the box.

3. jtn

jtn Banned User

Oct 18, 2007
    It's an act of god, so I doubt AT&T could win in court. Not all homeowners who have paid off mortgages require homeowners, it's elective. It will end up blowing up in their face (AT&T). Any of AT&T contracts that break any Federal or State laws are unenforceable, they are counting on people not knowing the law.

4. axl

axl AllStar

Sep 12, 2007
    I think the fact that at&t would say this is the part that is poor taste. What the heck were they thinking?!?!?

5. Tonedeaf

Tonedeaf Legend

Jun 13, 2006
    It is pretty bad. Wouldn't it really be the satellite company that is the one to blame this on? They did say satellite receiver. Doesn't DishNetwork sub to ATT? May be different in other areas.

6. noneroy

noneroy Godfather

Aug 21, 2006
    Okay, hear me out. I completely agree with a comment on youtube. What is to keep any disgraceful person out there from calling in and doing the same thing? After a disaster there are always people who are trying to take advantage of a situation. Now, these two people have obviously been through an ordeal, but I'm sure part of the caveat here is that AT&T needed to verify that these people had actually lost their house before they start slinging expensive receivers around.

And I don't think the CSR asking if they had managed to grab the receiver is that tasteless of a question either. If they HAD taken the receiver, it's a whole different phone call.

Furthermore, homeowners insurance will pay for it anyway, so why is this the end of the world? Maybe you have to pay for it at the end of the month. But it will be reimbursed. I would say they are going to pretty easily meet their deductible on this one.

Yes, AT&T screwed them around a little, but I also think AT&T will end up working with them and everyone else. But as a business, you can't start giving away expensive devices without verifying that people have actually had their houses burned down.

7. GP_23

GP_23 Legend

Sep 13, 2007
    I honestly hope someone at At&T comes up and says that they were misquoted or something because that is just plain wrong.

8. JonSamuels

JonSamuels Legend

Jun 26, 2007
    St. Peters, MO
  9. apexmi

apexmi Godfather

Jul 8, 2006
    You can't be serious if I have 10 mins to get out as many did in these circumstances home electronics is not even close to my list

10. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    1) Obviously AT&T/Echostar is not going to actually enfource this... as if they did... talk about a PR nightmare that they probably would never recover from.

2) The CSR and their supervisor were just following their script.... and that lack of "common sense" on their part... is/has cost AT&T (and possibly Echostar) a lot of respect.

11. SDizzle

SDizzle Hall Of Fame

Jan 1, 2007
    Roseville, CA
    +1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I rank my family and animals higher up the list than my HDDVR!!!!!!

12. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    Trust me:

My order:
    1) My Son
    2) My Wife (she is a "big" girl, she can handle her self)
    3) My firebox... which contains our important documents (passports, birth certificates, marraige certificate, insurance, and DVD backups of our digital pictures)

Optional:
    4) Wallet
    5) Keys

If time permits....
    Get one of the two cars out of the garage....

And then watch the fire from accross the street or down the block...

13. gmmorrell

gmmorrell Legend

Aug 25, 2006
    Are you mad? I hope you never have to go through something like this. Their check books are burned. The pen they would write the check with is burned. Everything but the clothes on their back is burned. AT&T acted callously.

They should have said, "Can I presume the box burned with the house? Ok, that's our loss but we will need verify the loss of your house at some later date".

That is not what they said. They are not trying to catch the bad apples that take advantage of a situation like this. They are looking to recoup ALL their losses from these folks.

As for insurance paying for it? When does your insurance pay you for these losses? Are you certain your insurance will cover these kinds of things? $300 for the box and a cancellation fee for ending your service early? These folks don't have a pot to piss in but somehow need to send in a check by the end of the month to cover the monthly bill, box fee and cancellation fee? Are you kidding me?

You are mad. I cannot believe you think AT&T's behavior is anything but callous.

14. Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever

Apr 1, 2007
    first off... let me say how AWFUL this is... and that i have lost a lot of respect for AT&T....

and second... will someone explain to me what this has to do with E*... i thought AT&T and D* had ties... I know I get money off of my D* bill every month because I have it bundled with all of my AT&T services... and I know AT&T was talking about buying E* or D*... but I didn't think anything had come of that...

15. KurtV

KurtV Legend

Dec 21, 2006
    Then you have some pretty warped priorities. Come on, we're talking about TV here. How could anything be more important than that?

16. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    The solution to this distasteful circumstance is simple - when sifting through the
    rubble and ashes of what was once your home, look around in the area where
    your ATT boxes were located. If you happen to see blobs of molten metal, pick
    them up and place them in your your pile of salvaged valuables. Keep in mind
    that each blob is potentially worth $300.

Later, take or send the molten blobs to ATT, calmly explaining that your boxes
    no longer work and you're returning them for credit and canceling your service.

17. apexmi

apexmi Godfather

Jul 8, 2006
    This in my opinion would be as beautiful as taking a hammer into the Comcast office ;)

Not that we would condone such behavior...

18. apexmi

apexmi Godfather

Jul 8, 2006
    Heartily agree.
    Daughters
    Wife
    3 Cats 1 Dog
    Important papers File box & Laptop with all major records.

The rest is replaceable

And may none of us ever have to follow these procedures for real.....

19. tomcrown1

tomcrown1 Hall Of Fame

Jan 16, 2006
    In Southern California ATT and E* is a bundle service. The policy came from a CSR who was not thinking.

The bad part is that Dish probably did call the customer to make things right---of course if this happened we will never hear about it.

20. noneroy

noneroy Godfather

Aug 21, 2006
    I'm not saying they should have taken a DVR with them. I'm just saying that the CSR did have to at least ask the question so they could tell what they were dealing with and what AT&T needed to do.

Yes, I do think AT&T should make this right. I'm not THAT heartless of a *******. I'm just saying that I don't think it's tacky or distasteful of AT&T to verify that the people calling in with these problems were actually affected by the fire. That's not that much to ask. It doesn't sound like the CSR was trying to do that, though. I think AT&T needs a better procedure in this instance. But who knows if the 3rd world country they've outsourced to has CNN's non-stop 24 hour coverage of the fires.

I'm just saying AT&T is entitled to do a little research before handing out replacement devices. Sounds like something google maps could clear up very easily.

But yes, home owners insurance will pay for it. So that's why, in a fire, I just want to get the wife and dog out. The rest of it can burn for all i care...insurance will replace it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.