1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

At what point is a laggy/noisy DVR replacement-worthy?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by tkrandall, Nov 15, 2010.

1. tkrandall

tkrandall Hall Of Fame

Oct 3, 2003
    So, my 3+ year old trusty HR20-700 is fully functional (does everything it is supposed to), but it is functionally lacking in a couple of ways:

1) It is, much of the time, annoyingly noisy. This is not fan noise or even drive bearing noise. Rather, its the noise of the disk drive "garbling" as it writes/reads. It has always done this to some degree but it is worse lately. The odd thing is it does not always make the noise as feverishly as others, but it can be rather intrusive at times.

2) The thing is just getting, at times, very slow to respond to control inputs. This is most noticeable when the disk garbling sounds are most pronounced. (It's kind of like an overtasked older PC running Windows and antivirus software all at once, and you can't get IE or Firefox to launch quickly when they are all dominating the cpu/drive). I might hit the guide button, or type a channel change and the keystrokes might not even register on screen for a few seconds.

So, I am thinking a replacement should be called for, as the DVR is simply starting to become a not pleasant experience to interface with.

What are my chances of getting DirecTV to think the same way?

For what it is worth, I have a tech coming out Friday to install the MRV upgrade components. When he does, I will try and get his read on how the HR20 unit is performing.

2. joed32

joed32 Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    A tip to the installer just might do the trick.

3. Mike Greer

Mike Greer Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2004
    Salt Lake...
    The noise could be leading to trouble but as far as 'slow to respond' goes I think many of us - from HR20s to HR24s - are having the same troubles.

4. tkrandall

tkrandall Hall Of Fame

Oct 3, 2003
    As in type in a channel, and 5 seconds later, the entry (not the channel change) shows up on screen? Or hit the quick rewind (skips back 5 seconds or whatever) and there is a few second delay in it even registering?

5. MalibuRacing

MalibuRacing Legend

Mar 2, 2007
    This issue is beginning to become unbearable on both my HR21 and HR20. I'm getting up to 13 second delays between a remote command being sent until the receiver will repond. If it is a channel change add another 3-5 seconds on that. Sometimes you can just forget about trying to skip forward or back, because the response time is so long. This issue has been ongoing for several months and seems to have gotten worse since I got MRV (LAN).

Between the slow response times and audio dropouts, I'm approaching the point that I am considering Dishnetwork or (God forbid) cable. I'm spending $150+/month on DirecTV at this time, so I feel I should get better a better quality performance out of their equipment than what I am getting. :mad:

I probably need to cut back anyways since I'll be paying for my son's college tuition in a few months.... :eek2:

6. nickff

nickff Legend

Dec 8, 2007
    My HR21 was loud just as you describe. I called explained that the DVR sounded like it was dying. After several resets (requested by the phone rep) I was informed that a replacement one was on its way...no charge. BTW-I have the protection plan.

7. bwstein

bwstein Cool Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Do you know which model you are (or did) going to get?

I'm very curious to know what DirecTV is shipping these days.

Thanks
    Ben

8. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I've just about given up on using MRV because of the Unified Playlist and the problems with it. I have a few HRs in each room we watch TV in and I usually go to the Local Playlist option and don't see any problems using that.

The slow channel changes are something that some folks get, some don't. I don't, but I do know others that do. Seems to be no pattern to it. And nothing seems to help. Changing HRs sometimes helps, sometimes doesn't. Doesn't seem to be caused by the MRV function, it was happening before we got that.

Rich

9. a2citrix

a2citrix Cool Member

May 7, 2007
    I too have the protection plan, and when I asked for a replacement to be shipped a few weeks ago the representative said he couldn't guarantee me an HR24... he said it would be anything from HR20-24... and a few days later when I opened the box it was an HR20...

I have found with the protection plan, they will ship you one if you ask, they don't make you go through all the silly troubleshooting...

10. tkrandall

tkrandall Hall Of Fame

Oct 3, 2003
    I can't help but think/suspect that when you go through DirecTV and they mail you a replacement, you are more, if not very, likely to get an older refurb unit, than if they roll a truck to you.

The install company I acquired 2 new HR24s from last week had a stack of new HR24s in their office. Likewise, when I first got my HD upgrade in 2007, they guy came out with a brand new HR20-100. Turns out it had a bad OTA tuner, and it took three shipments of replacement HR20-700s, all refurbed units, to get a fully functional one.

11. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    The only reason you got one that worked was that someone turned in a perfectly good one.

Rich

12. tkrandall

tkrandall Hall Of Fame

Oct 3, 2003
    I guess the moral of the story is that if you choose to be a DirecTV subscriber, like me, you accept the notion/reality they send what they feel like sending. Also, you assume the risk that in order to get yourself new equipment, you must go out and acquire it (start a lease) on your own dime. If that unit happens to be faulty, they will send you a "refurbed" (wink wink) one to replace it. That is, unless you want to go plop down the same price you just spent all over agian to try and get a non-faulty new one.

I think at a minimum they ought to step up and at least replace new for new if you are in the warranty window, 90 days or whatever it is.

13. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    You're applying logic and that doesn't work in this instance. While I agree with you wholeheartedly, I don't see that happening. D* just doesn't care. What they are doing works for them, probably with fewer problems than we think, and until something drastic happens, nothings gonna change.

Rich

14. tkrandall

tkrandall Hall Of Fame

Oct 3, 2003
    Dang it - there I go again! :rolleyes:

15. nickff

nickff Legend

Dec 8, 2007
    HR22... this was earlier this year.

16. tkrandall

tkrandall Hall Of Fame

Oct 3, 2003
    HR20 is still here. Installer said corporate has made it very difficult for him to swap out a box unless something major is wrong with it. It would be easier he said if I had protection plan. Oh well, I'll just wait a while and see how it holds out.

17. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Yet another reason to have the PP. Anybody notice how many times I've written that statement?

Rich