1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AT9 and Rain Fade - Excellent performance

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by jaywdetroit, Oct 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jaywdetroit

jaywdetroit Hall Of Fame

Sep 21, 2006
    AT9 installed last Friday...

I am happy to report that during a MASSIVE rain storm today, I lost a total of about 30 seconds of programming. It rained as hard as it has all summer for about 10 minutes and I was absolutely amazed at how minimal the signal loss was. Perhaps the cloud cover wasn't as thick as usual, but I know with my old standard dish I would have experienced drop outs or no signal at all for at least 20 minutes.

Incidently, the receiver handled the rain fade beautifully. The show I was recording during the storm didn't pixelate (or as my wife says - 'get all digital') it simply did not record the weak signal and during playback just skipped the 'lost' signal area to continue playing when the signal was back full strength.

Now we wait for the snow...

2. LameLefty

LameLefty I used to be a rocket scientist

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    That is very, very good to hear. He get a lot of heavy, spotty thunderstorms that drop torrential amounts of rain, but usually for fairly short periods. I could foresee lots of messed up recordings otherwise. Glad to hear the lates s/w is fixing this issue.

Hah! Very little problem with that around here. ;)

3. cybrsurfer

cybrsurfer Banned User

Sep 17, 2006
    I have not noticed any loss of reception during heavy rain downpours. :hurah:

4. cbeckner80

cbeckner80 Godfather

Apr 19, 2006
    Wish I could say the sam.

5. hadji

hadji Legend

Sep 30, 2006
    Really! Got rain fade and the thing locks up. Can't shut it down with remoye or front panel. Have to do a reset and still can't shut it down because it is endlessly searching for guide information. Not Good.

6. 69RoadRunner

69RoadRunner AllStar

Feb 17, 2006
    After the installer was done with my AT9, all of my signals were in the upper 90s with a few 100s. This is much better than my old 3 LNB dish that was in the same location.

The old dish had problems with rain fade, particularly with the HD channels. I've only had 1 bad storm since the AT9 was installed, and it had no rain fade problems.

I think a big part of whether you have better reception or worse reception is how it it aimed.

7. hadji

hadji Legend

Sep 30, 2006
    My signal strengths are all in the low to upper 90's with a few 100's sprinkled here and there. I don't have a problem with rain fade as a result of being a D* customer for 9 years, but why would the HR20 seize up requiring a red button reset because of this? If that is the case, it will be a very long winter having to deal with that. Yet another item for the "fix it" list for D*

8. NFLnut

NFLnut Icon

Sep 28, 2006

I lost signal the other day in a moderate t-storm that I would always lose signal in (IOW .. not what I would consider a major t-storm). I've noticed no improvements in rain fade performance with the AT9, and my signal strengths are normally all in the mid-90s.

9. Rob55

Rob55 Legend

Sep 14, 2006
    My rain fade was specific to ch. 86 (ABC-HD) so I switched to an SD channel that was ok to stop the dreaded "searching for satellite" message. I abviously have a dish aiming problem that will get corrected once I replace my 3-LNB dish with the AT9 or the new "Slimline" dish. It's just that the AT-9 is SO big. The "Slimline" at least looked reasonable enough when I saw it last month @ CEDIA.

10. gb33

gb33 Legend

Sep 8, 2006
    SD channels do hold up pretty good for me too. But local HD on the 99* sat are gone in a jiffy. I say that spotbeams being "better" at rain fade and having more "power" is bologna. But at least the SD channels stay up longer.

11. Mike770

Mike770 Legend

Mar 1, 2004
    I have also noticed that the AT9 dish seems to combat rain fade alot better than the Phase 3 Dish.

12. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    The Behemoth is large enough, you should be able to pick up Ku through almost any condition. Ka, on the other hand, is quite effectively blocked by precipitation.

Anybody know if there has been a relative surface area decrease with the Slimline or is it just a different shape? If it is smaller, the Ka dropouts can only get worse.

13. Carbon

Carbon Godfather

Sep 22, 2006
    I am pretty sure the slimline is the same size just lighter and a different LNB configuration.

14. Rob55

Rob55 Legend

Sep 14, 2006
    Seemed smaller to me when I saw it last month @ CEDIA. Though, I have to admit, they didn't have an AT9 dish on display.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.