1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AT9, H20, and zinwell 6x8 multiswitch questions

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by RCKYMTN, Jul 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jul 3, 2006 #1 of 17
    RCKYMTN

RCKYMTN AllStar

Jan 14, 2006
    I am a long-term and existing directv customer...., and current have 5 receivers set up with a terk 5x8 multiswitch that is powered. Some cable runs are about 100', but no longer....

HD locals are now in colorado, and I have ordered for install the new AT9 dish, and the H20 receiver that will plan on using on only one of the 5 TV's for now, and using the existing (and older equipment/receivers that I still currently have).

I realize that I will need the H20 receiver to receive the HD local broadcasts.., but my questions are:

- will my existing and older directv receivers work fine with the AT9 dish AND the zinwell 6x8 multiswitch (knowing I will not get the local HD broadcasts with the older receivers), or are the new (H20) receivers necessary on all TV's when you get the new dish?

-What about my current HD receiver (Sony HD 200 receiver) - will I still get HD signals, but just not the local HD broadcasts?

-since the zinwell 6x8 multiswitch is not powered (as opposed to my existing terk multiswitch which is powered), should I anticpate any signal problems with the couple of cable runs that I have that are around 100 ft long.

-I don't think I have the solid copper (or recommended RG6 cable), but not sure. If I don't, the last thing I want to do is rewire the entire house and cabling. Will I be ok if I do not have the recommended RG6 cable for the new dish?

-my current phase III dish is firmly mounted on the side of my house, and there is sufficient room for the AT9 dish. I want to mount the AT 9 dish is the same place on the side of the house. Some installs here I saw are on top of a roof, with additonal support. Any foreseen problems if I mounth the new dish on the side of the house knowing it is a secure location for at least the current phase III dish.

-As a side note, I purchased the Sone HD200 receiver a few years back for about $700 to get the HD broadcasts. Now, you can get the HD20 for next to nothing. What a joke...., I just hope I can at least still use the Sony on another HD TV for the time being (again, w/o the local HD broadcasts).

Thanks in advance, and certainly appreciate any input before the install coming up.

2. Jul 3, 2006 #2 of 17
    Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    1) Yes, your old recievers will work fine
    2) Your current HD reciever, will also work fine (but you are right, no MPEG-4 Locals)
    3) You might... but you could send 4 outputs of the Zinwell to your powered multiswitch for your older recievers
    4) You should be fine, but...... you could have problems if the run from the dish to your switch is very long

5) my AT9 is roughly in the same place as my Phase III was. If the side of your home is of a material strong enough to support the weight, you chouls have no problem.

6) Welcome to early adoption... I paid $1,000+ for my HR10-250, now people are getting them for Sub $200 or even free..

3. Jul 3, 2006 #3 of 17
    RCKYMTN

RCKYMTN AllStar

Jan 14, 2006
    Earl, thanks for your reply...

I did not think of using the existing Terk multiswitch with the older receivers. Just curious, could I use the existing terk multiswitch with the AT9 and H20, and just not receive the new satellites or local HD broadcasts? I know this defeats the purpose of getting the new dish, but more of a curiousity question.

For using the Terk for the older receivers, how would the runs from the AT 9 work? If there are four cables coming from the AT9 dish similar to the phase III dish (or are there more than 4 cables coming from the AT9 dish), one cable would go directly from the dish to my HD 20 receiver, then the other three cables would go from the AT9 dish to my existing terk 5x8 multiswitch, which I could then run to my other four older receivers for now? If this was the case, maybe I don't need the zinwell 6x8 multiswitch right now and will only need it if I add more HD20 receivers? Just tying to figure out a set up with my current terk multiswitch and the new dish for 5 TV's/receivers, and one of them being a H20 receiver. You mentioned sending 4 outputs from the zinwell to the terk? Couldn't I send 4 (or 3?) outputs from the dish directly to the terk to feed 4 non HD / older receivers, and one output from the dish directly to the H20 receiver?

For the length from the dish to the multiswitch, the runs are only about 4 ft long, so I think I should be ok to response no. 4?

Thanks again, this is very useful before I get the new dish.

4. Jul 3, 2006 #4 of 17
    Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    Your lengths are SIGNIFICANTLY shorter then mine (mine are near 60ft) and I have no issues... so you should be fine there.

Yes and No...

Take the Zinwell, and connect it to the dish. Then make 4 short cables, and connect 4 of the outputs to your Terk. Then output #5 send it to your new H20

That is basically how I have mine setup and it works great.

5. Jul 3, 2006 #5 of 17
    RCKYMTN

RCKYMTN AllStar

Jan 14, 2006
    Earl..

So the only reason I would continue to use the terk muliswitch is for the power / signal amplication if needed, correct? If I were to get a good signal on the longer runs w/o the terk, I could simply use the zinwell for all 5 receivers? Also, there are 5 output runs from the AT 9 dish, as opposed to the 4 outputs from the phase III dish?

I have read on here that zinwell s/b coming out with a new powered mutliswitch for the AT9, I did not see one on solid signals web site?? Perhaps terk and/or zinwell will be coming out with powered multiswitches for the AT9 dish soon?? I have been pretty happy with the signal from the Terk 5x8 switch I have been using.

Thanks.

6. Jul 3, 2006 #6 of 17
    Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    Spaun and Zinwell are working on the powered versions.

The powered piece of the equation is more to provide the necessary "power" to the dish so it can do it's work. Normally it would get that "power" from the reciever.

There are 4 outputs on the AT9, so you will need the multiswitch.

Sure you can use the Zinwell for all 5 recievers.

7. Jul 4, 2006 #7 of 17
    Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
  8. Jul 4, 2006 #8 of 17
    RedskinsForever

RedskinsForever AllStar

Jun 6, 2006
    So is it safe to say because I needed a powered multiswitch to get a signal to the rooms furthest I will need to get the powered zinwell?

9. Jul 4, 2006 #9 of 17
    DCSholtis

DCSholtis Up The Irons!

Aug 7, 2002
    Remember also RCKYMTN that you will only receive the Rockies games in HD on Channel 96 with the H20 receiver not the older ones.

10. Herdfan

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    The powered multiswitch is not meant to boost the signal. The power is there so that the multiswitch can lock each port to a transponder and not rely on the receiver's power to do so. So yes, for long runs a powered multiswitch is better, but not for the reason you thought.

11. RedskinsForever

RedskinsForever AllStar

Jun 6, 2006
    Thank you sir.

12. RCKYMTN

RCKYMTN AllStar

Jan 14, 2006
  13. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    Okay...
    Now that is one nice looking switch...

Now I can only hope it will be sub $150, and I'll be set, and can really clean up my wiring area.

14. DB Cooper

DB Cooper Mentor

Jul 17, 2005
    Yeah...that would be sweet at that price, I'd grab one;) !

15. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    From what I have been told (just now).
    That particular switch has not been "approved" by DirecTV for usage on the DirecTV systems.

And until it is "approved" it should not be used on DirecTV equipment.

16. Herdfan

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    According to an e-mail received from Zinwell, the MSRP will be $189.

And a followup e-mail from Spaun says their switch will be out next month (August). At a price most likely much higher than $189.

17. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    Here's to hoping Zinwell gets their switch approved by DirecTV...

And you could almost guarantee that the Spaun switch will be more expensive.

Their 4x16 was was what... $400

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.