1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Atari U.S. files for Ch. 11 bankruptcy

Discussion in 'Gaming Fun - The Other Reality' started by Cholly, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule!

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
  2. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Yeah I read something like that on Facebook. Sad.

3. B Newt

B Newt Icon

Aug 12, 2007
    Good ole Atari. I still have my old trusty Atari ST1040, which still works like a champ.

4. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Does it still play Star Raiders?

5. MysteryMan

MysteryMan DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    That was one of their better games.

6. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    Think I played alot of Combat and PAC-Man when I was growing up.

7. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Leapin' Lizard Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Nothing really sad here. Atari really went bankrupt many years ago.

The company that now wields their products just bought the rights to use the name after the original Atari went belly-up and was split into pieces long ago... that was the sad time for me... this is nothing.

Like when CompUSA and Circuit City went bankrupt and that company that owns TigerDirect bought the rights to their names and Web domains... same thing. It wouldn't be sad to lose those companies again, because they are already gone.

8. HinterXGames

HinterXGames Godfather

Dec 20, 2012
    Sierra was a big one for me. There was a time when Sierra dominated computer gaming, especially the RPG side.
    --
    Hmm. Just made me think of Quest for Glory and Betrayal at Krondor. BoK being one of my favorite of all time. :grin: RPG's have went to the crapper compared to their heyday :mad:

9. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    I bought an Atari Pong for about $1,200 back in 1972. Two screwy things about it.

1. The paddles didn't go to the bottom of the screen.

2. The net could not be pulled to the middle of the screen.

Both of those were due to engineering boo-boos. The paddle didn't go to the bottom of the screen because its placement was determined by some 555 counter circuit that didn't allow for the forward drop of half a volt across a diode in the circuit, and the net line was off center because they counted the pixel distance from the wrong edge of the horizontal blanking pulse. There was an independent engineering company in Hingham, Massachusetts that remedied both of those problems for me and for others.

10. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Atari is still in business?

11. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    It's a shadow of its former self. This part is what used to be GT Interactive, then Infogrames like Cholly mentioned, then Atari.

Of course Nolan Bushnell, the founder left, or was forced out, and founded Chuck E. Cheese.

12. HinterXGames

HinterXGames Godfather

Dec 20, 2012
    Didn't Atari have something to do with the NWN series too?