1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Atlanta: Pixelazation on HD Locals; Signals OK ?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by thekochs, Oct 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oct 7, 2007 #1 of 22
    thekochs

thekochs DirecTV 10yr+ Customer

Oct 7, 2006
    Well,

I've bring writing this off to the affiliates here in Atlanta but not sure. Last night on CBS HD local the LSU/Florida game pixelated a good bit. Now tonight on NBC the Bears/Packers does as well. I've also seen recorded shows on locals HD have pixelation.

I do get the new HDs and think for Atlanta my local HDs are on 103a ?
    http://www.dbstalk.com/hr20/html/DTV_LIL_STATE.html

Ayway,
    101 all signals mid/high 90s.
    103b 90s+
    99b on 1-8 57 57 0 0 52 51 N/A then rest N/As
    119 all N/A except last three of 17-24 are 96 0 97 and 25-32 are 0 98 98 97 0 99 33 95
    103a for 1-8 86 22 87 24 85 15 N/A N/A all others N/A

Any ideas ?

Thanks.

2. Oct 7, 2007 #2 of 22
    stevetheant

stevetheant New Member

Jul 30, 2007
    I am getting the same there here in Phoenix, AZ.

3. Oct 7, 2007 #3 of 22
    travelswiss

travelswiss AllStar

Oct 24, 2006
    I'm getting pixilation in Seattle, it's raining here but hardly bad...

4. Oct 7, 2007 #4 of 22
    Mataki

Mataki New Member

Feb 17, 2007
    I am getting the same thing here as well. I'm in Chandler, AZ(just outside of Phoenix)

5. Oct 7, 2007 #5 of 22
    K4SMX

K4SMX Hall Of Fame

May 19, 2007
    I get Atlanta local HD's on 103(a) here at my secondary location. There have been a lot of problems lately, particularly on WXIA and to a possibly lesser extent on WSB, which you can find discussed in this thread. I also get OTA, and I've not seen too much wrong with the OTA signals. Problems on WGCL, therefore, wouldn't have surprised me. Last night I saw and posted to another thread discussing WGCL the fact that I, too, was losing 5.1 audio periodically and I also saw the picture cycle to SD for a few seconds at least once. I believe the OP later posted that he was losing the 5.1 on OTA as well, so last night was perhaps not a D* problem, and actually I've seen very few problems on the D* WGCL signal.

6. Oct 7, 2007 #6 of 22
    Kenwood

Kenwood Mentor

Sep 13, 2006

Same here for PHX.
    For periods the Packers game was totally unwatchable. A couple NBC shows that recorded today were was junked with pixelation.

7. Oct 7, 2007 #7 of 22
    jbstix

jbstix Godfather

Dec 28, 2005
    Man, this stuff is so hit or miss it seems! I am having zero problems tonight on WXIA with the NFL game... but I was the OP of the thread that K4SMX linked about having serious audio problems on WGCL for the last 2 Saturdays during NCAA ball. *audio switching from DD 5.1 to DD 2.1 every 5 mins or so.
    Sometimes it seems there is no rhyme or reason to any of this... for one guy, something can be unwatchable, but someone else in close proximity (same DMA) is having no problems at all. Odd to say, but some of this seems to be a complete crap shoot - b/c there are so many different variables.
    Just my $.02

8. Oct 7, 2007 #8 of 22
    jacksonm30354

jacksonm30354 Icon

Mar 29, 2007
    Atlanta
    Your readings on 103a are a tad lower than mine on the odd's - 91 20 91 20 91 16
    I didn't record anything except SNL on WXIA and it recorded fine.

9. Oct 7, 2007 #9 of 22
    jacksonm30354

jacksonm30354 Icon

Mar 29, 2007
    Atlanta
    I think the jumping back and forth is a local station issue. I have had that happen on stations in the past but not recently. Unfortunately, I cannot recall as to which one it was I had the problem with. I think to narrow it down, you have to provide all possible relavant info - Date/Time, Channel - LiL from D* HD or SD or OTA, D* Receiver model, software version, optical audio connection, etc.

Most of the issues I have had I attribute to the local station. Despite being in a large market, I do not think they give quite as much concern to HD signal issues as SD issues. WSB several times has had issues with the show starting in SD, before they "flip the switch" to HD or There is picture and background music, but no voices.

Just a note about your location - ATL is now DMA #8, we jumped ahead of DC :) (Someone just posted the new DMA rankings earlier this week.)

10. K4SMX

K4SMX Hall Of Fame

May 19, 2007
    Yeah, I forgot to comment on your 103(a) readings, thekochs. You should have a perfect picture with those readings in the 80's, but that is the first dish I've seen with lower 103(a) #'s than 103(b). I'm 100 m NNE of you, and I have ~95's on both, even though theoretically I'm further away from the center of the spot beam. Very peculiar. Wonder what kind of LNB is on that dish?

11. thekochs

Oct 7, 2006
    Yeah, when there is no pixelation the picture comes in fine. I guess I should not have D* come out for sat adjustment since my 103b for new HDs are great with good signals. Do you think the 103a difference is in the LNB, atmospheric or sat alignment.....I know hard to gauge.

By the way....what is DMA ?

12. K4SMX

K4SMX Hall Of Fame

May 19, 2007
    It almost has to be the LNB, which is why I was wondering what kind it is.

13. jacksonm30354

jacksonm30354 Icon

Mar 29, 2007
    Atlanta
    Designated Market Area.

14. thekochs

Oct 7, 2006
    How can I tell ? Hard to get on my roof....steep. Also, since I'm getting in the mid to high 80s for 103a and the local HDs do come in good...except for the pixelization which I think from all the other threads for NBC and CBS alot of folks had thru the same affiliates......should I bother with a change ?

15. tonyoci

tonyoci Legend

Oct 14, 2006
    I've repeatedly had this problem on one unit after a reboot (for software update or power outage). Used to be that exactly two more restarts solved the problem but now I have to power off and leave off for 30 minutes for it to go away. I could not recreate the problem during two in-warranty visits and now I'm screwed (though I have learned to live with it)

16. K4SMX

K4SMX Hall Of Fame

May 19, 2007
    I don't think it has anything to do with your LNB per se, but it could be a signal switching voltage problem at your LNB, if your coax is kind of marginal. How old and how long is it? (That lower 103(a) signal strength # vs. 103(b) is peculiar. They come down the coax to your BBC on very different frequencies.) Do you have any problems at all with the new, national mpeg4 HD's on 103(b) re: pixelization)?

In another words, what if it might not be D* HD local problem that's actually caused by D*? It is entirely possible that at least some of you ATL guys have other problems, i.e., that not every D* ATL HD customer has these problems. Just something to think about....

17. thekochs

Oct 7, 2006
    My coax runs are about 70 ft and one at least has a connector in middle.....no multiswitch used. They are all RG6 and in decent order though. I have not seen any issues with the new HD channels so far....have not spent that much time watching them though. It's the local HDs that are a problem. Funny though, it has always neem CBS and NBC that are the worst which seem to be a real "theme" for alot of folks in Atlanta: http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=100467 ....even the times/shows are consitant. However, I agree the mismatch to 103b vs. 103a is peculiar...but I'm wondering if 85-87s on 103a and 91-94s on 103b is good enough ?....my 101s are near 100. With all the nightmare stories I'm concerned to have a D* tech coming out and cause other problems....also wondering if these signals are good enough that D* would even send someone....I do pay the maintenance plan monthly fee. Thoughts ?

18. K4SMX

K4SMX Hall Of Fame

May 19, 2007
    Those 103(a) sig's are more than sufficient to get a perfect PQ, except during the weather interruptions from which we all occasionally suffer. They're just peculiar. I watch WGCL a lot, and I don't see too much wrong there, although I just may have missed what you've seen and most of what I watch is regularly scheduled network TV. I'm very sure there's some national feed problems with football games, etc. All the networks seem to have frequent, but usually brief, problems with live HD TV.

It sounds like all your cabling is probably up to snuff and without potentially troublesome devices. Your dish is not out of alignment. If you're only having problems with the 103(a) channels, it's probably not on your end, although there is the possibility that is still under investigation that there may be a glitch in some D* receivers' mpeg4 decoders that is responsible for at least some of these issues. I know people are looking at that. In that connection, have you noticed any association at all with the onset of these issues and the activation of 103(b)? It's kind of a tricky question, because it's coincident with football season....

19. thekochs

Oct 7, 2006
    I agree with your analysis....also it wasn't with the onset of new HDs....I've seen this on NBC and CBS in the past but as you noted....it has mostly been on football games. Each time I have seen this it appears many others have as well...I go to DBSTalk and others have already posted. In fact as you see above there is now a thread for Atlanta local HD problems....enough folks seeing this.
    http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=100467

20. billhawley

billhawley New Member

Oct 9, 2007
    Stew, I have been trying to get the local HD from Atl for approx one year now. I have an Atlanta address and a S. Ga address. I can't get 99b tuned in any better than mid 30s. I assumed that the locals were comming in on 99b. Can you shed any light on how I can make this work for me - Atl Local HD in S. Ga? Thanks for any help you can give. My zip code is 31620. I've read alot about spot beam transponders which makes me wonder if I'm too far away from atl to pick up this signal... Using at9 dish with the HR20-700 reciever.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.