1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ATSC rf modulator

Discussion in 'Local Reception' started by dorfd1, Feb 24, 2009.

1. dorfd1

dorfd1 Icon

Jul 15, 2008
    does an rf modulator exist that can output an atsc signal?

2. evan_s

evan_s Hall Of Fame

Mar 3, 2008
    Not at the consumer level.

3. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    There's no reason why such a thing couldn't be done, and truth is it wouldn't be that expensive, but there seems to be insufficient demand.

4. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    The reason it isn't done is because there would be no copy protection, and the content providers aren't about to allow people to have the ability to broadcast non-copy-protected content in digital HD.

5. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    My apologies, I meant no technical reason; you're right that such a device could be used to strip copy protection.

6. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    I would be willing to bet that it is much more complicated than you suggest.

In a majority of cases, you don't have access to an MPEG2 stream so you would need some way of making one. Back when DISH Network offered an internal ATSC modulator add-on for one of their HD receivers, the content was all MPEG2. That is no longer the case for HD content from satellite (nor most people's computer files). While some form of MPEG4 has been adopted into the ATSC standards, I'm guessing that fiew (if any) existing tuners support it.

7. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Look for ZV devices. $500 is not that much for desperate demand.

8. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    Seems to me Slingboxes do on-the-fly encoding and compression, right? I'm consistently what they can do as a $99 appliance.

9. evan_s

evan_s Hall Of Fame

Mar 3, 2008
    A ZeeVee box is the closest thing I've read about but at 500$ + requires a pretty good computer and still only currently supports 720p it's pretty limited especially since getting the HD content into the computer would also be a problem. Someday we might see a device with component inputs and atsc outputs but nothing like that at the consumer level currently.

10. dorfd1

dorfd1 Icon

Jul 15, 2008
    if you used an hd fury could you feed directv hd into the device and feed it into s atsc tuner on your computer for the purpose of recording digital copies of shows and ppv movies?

11. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Why not, but it would be unnecessary digital-to-analog conversion and back to digital.
    Actually OP did ask other question.

12. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    The problem with slingboxes is that they need slingcatchers to drive all of the other TVs. They also don't produce an MPEG2 output that would ultimately be required for modulation.