1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

attention Utah (KJZZ carriage)

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by curt8403, Dec 31, 2008.

1. curt8403

curt8403 Hall Of Fame

Dec 27, 2007
    has anyone in Utah noticed a message on KJZZ stating that they are going to lose KJZZ? Trying to confirm or squash a rumor

2. LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
  3. curt8403

curt8403 Hall Of Fame

Dec 27, 2007
    info confirmed by one of our good local people here in utah. thanks

4. gwar28

gwar28 AllStar

Mar 10, 2007
    I got a text from Utah Jazz stating it is happening.

------ SMS Text ------
    Sent: Dec 31, 2008 3:20 PM
    Subject: After Dec.

After Dec. 31, DirecTV will not carry KJZZ TV ch. 14, which includes 12 remaining regular season Jazz games. Call 1-800-531-5000 with questions. Txt END 2 quit

5. Canis Lupus

Canis Lupus You make it, We break it

Oct 16, 2006
    Where's Utah? :p

6. curt8403

curt8403 Hall Of Fame

Dec 27, 2007
    in the middle of the state of Greater Colevada

7. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Near Idaho .. Or is that Ida who? :scratchin

8. curt8403

curt8403 Hall Of Fame

Dec 27, 2007
    that would be the long state of Idazona

9. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    Curt,
    I have been out of town for about a week; went out to Denver to visit my son.
    While flying I did look out the window. I didn't see no damn Utah! They wouldn't be loosing their radio station if they tied it down like normal folks anyhow!

It was a rough trip. It was dark most of the way. As we landed the pilot came on the PA and thanked us for flying with him. He said that even though the landing was a little rough, at least we didn't land in Utah. He was pretty sure we were in Colorado.

On the return fllight I saw the blue states and some green ones and a brown one or two but ...no Utah.

Joe

10. aramus8

aramus8 Godfather

Nov 20, 2006
    Even KSL was reporting on DirecTv losing KJZZ as of midnight New Year's Eve. While I get KJZZ fine over the air, I'm sure there will be more than a few Jazz fans who will be a little unhappy about this and missing at least 12 games. While the first thing that comes to mind is the sports leader isn't looking too sporty with this loss, it could be Larry Miller doesn't think he is getting the appropriate tithing for his station and DirecTv disagrees. Whether Mr. Miller is trying to make up for poor car sales or DirecTv dumped them for some other stupid reason, nobody wins, DirecTv is looking really bad in this market, and KSL with their huge audience is making sure to point that out.

11. curt8403

curt8403 Hall Of Fame

Dec 27, 2007
    to follow up, Kjzz is an independant station, owned by the Larry Miller Group. It seems that the agreement that they had to be carried by Directv expired, and the company failed to renew the agreement. I am sure an agreement will be reached soon. KJzz needs directv as much as Directv needs KJzz because their signal does not reach very far.

12. aramus8

aramus8 Godfather

Nov 20, 2006
    Actually, KJZZ has a very strong signal. I get a 100 percent signal on my HR20-700 at 110 miles away. Most local stations would be green with envy to radiate that kind of signal. The problem is in many mountainous areas, all of the Salt Lake DMA stations are hard to receive even close in and KJZZ doesn't have the translator network that covers parts of six states like some of the other market stations have. So, yes both companies need each other, but I get the impression that maybe the new Liberty Media controlled DirecTv doesn't really understand the rabid Utah Jazz fans and that they are getting a black eye over this over a pretty large area of the western states. This is something you could count on Dish to be involved in, not DirecTv. While I could care less about the Jazz anyway and am sure no fan of Mr. Miller, I'm not liking the direction this is going. It looks more and more like we are going from the sports and HD leader to the sports and HD loser.

13. Canis Lupus

Canis Lupus You make it, We break it

Oct 16, 2006
    Larry's gonna need to sell a few more cars. :p

14. curt8403

curt8403 Hall Of Fame

Dec 27, 2007

that is so very very sad. Utah is west of colorado, so you would never have flown over Utah, but that is just as well as most of the planes that try to land at SLC airport overshoot the runway and up in the great salt lake or get shot down by Hill Airforce Base.
    :sure::sure:

15. aramus8

aramus8 Godfather

Nov 20, 2006
    Larry could also pick up a few more bucks if he would stop censoring what he shows in his movie theaters.

16. teebeebee1

teebeebee1 Godfather

Dec 11, 2006
    It's near Alabama

Go Utes!