1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Attn Parents: Do not use Directv- Your kids could be held responsible

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by jorjeen, Jan 17, 2014.

1. jorjeen

jorjeen New Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    Hello All,
    I received DirecTv back in '05 when my daughter was 14 years old. We had the service for a couple years, and ultimately changed to a different company. She is now a college student & moved on her own last month. She called Direct a couple days ago to inquire about service. Because my daughter lived in my home & watched the programming, DirecTv is refusing her service, because I still have a balance. Now,mind you, my service was cancelled by me before she was even 18! They told her she received mail at that address at that time & was associated with me & ultimately watched television.
    I always said, I would never use my child's name for anything that has to do with credit for fear something would happen and I would tarnish their credit. So it's hard for me to even begin to comprehend how a company can cause the child to suffer the repercussions. Beware Parents! if you leave their company with a balance, it is your children who will ultimately be punished & have to do without!

2. sigma1914

sigma1914 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Be aware... pay your debts.

3 people like this.
  3. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    She should email Ellen's office. That's a bit wrong if you ask me. How do they even know she got mail there?

4. sigma1914

sigma1914 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    It's wrong - my first reply was a joke.

5. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Tough it's that kind of thing that sours someone on a company from the beginning, their next call to Dish. First impressions do make a difference, even for a company.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. FLWingNut

FLWingNut Godfather

Nov 19, 2005
    Pay your bill, end of story. And that's not a joke.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

7. bixler

bixler Hall Of Fame

Oct 14, 2008
    PA
    You forgot the rest of the thread title....if their parents don't pay their debts. Maybe if YOU paid your debt, your daughter could enjoy Directv. This entire thread is pointless.

8. acostapimps

acostapimps Hall Of Famer

Nov 5, 2011
    Illinois
    This thread is a little suspicious to me, because the OP made the same thread on the other site, with no response.

9. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Pay your balance and clear this up. It is YOUR responsibility to fix this problem that YOU created for your daughter.

10. longrider

longrider DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    I am sorry but I have to disagree with anyone defending DirecTV on this. A company has no right to go after a person for their parent's debts, especially as the person was a minor at the time the parents incurred the debt. This is wrong on so many levels I dont know what to say.

3 people like this.
  11. tomski35

tomski35 AllStar

Sep 7, 2007
    Did she know her dad was a deadbeat?

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

12. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    If what the TS said is true, then DirecTV seems to be doing something wrong.

But I suspect there is a lot more to this story that what we've been told.

2 people like this.
  13. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    +1

Have your daughter contact ellen.filipiak@directv.com

14. JcT21

JcT21 Legend

Nov 29, 2004
    whether or not this person paid their bills or not, it is wrong for directv to punish the child for their parents actions. i agree we all should pay our bills but sometimes circumstances arise and we all have difficult times. however the child should not be denied service over this. it was not the childs fault or even in their name. its wrong. very wrong.

my son is an authorized user on my visa card. he uses it for college expenses. if i dont pay that bill, citibank would not hold him responsible for that debt, because it wouldnt be right. in my opinion, directv has no right to hold a parents past bill against the child.

15. Aridon

Aridon Mentor

Mar 12, 2007
    Was she signing up from the same address you owed money from?

16. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    While the majority of posters on this site are apparently male, the sex of the poster has not been revealed. This could be the mother complaining about the alleged refusal of service for her daughter.

And if the daughter's name is similar to the mother's I can see where DirecTV could be confused. Applications for credit usually ask for a person's recent previous addresses.

If there is any truth to the story at all. It is not a good idea to get too wound up by a poster's first and potentially only post. Perhaps jorjeen will provide more details.

1 person likes this.
  17. swyman18

swyman18 Legend

Jan 12, 2009
    Yeah, something seems strange here. It is my understanding that DirecTV determines eligibility based on the social security number and therefore credit history of the applicant.

Although if she was trying to obtain service by using the same address, then perhaps that could be the issue.

18. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    This seems a little "fishy" to me. you can't cancel a service if you have a balance due. I have a feeling we are not getting the full story here

19. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    But they're not holding her liable for her parents outstanding debt. They're just not extending her credit. As a college student, she probably doesn't have much of a credit history of her own yet. I can see Directv looking at family credit history when deciding whether to extend credit to someone without history of their own yet.

I would like to think that if my child were to try to sign up for Directv service without a credit history, they might say "he has no credit history. But his parents have been good customers for 17 years. So we'll take a chance."

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

20. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Looking at jorjeen's profile, seems you're right.