1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Audio breakups/ pixelation on non-HD channels

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Azalo, Jul 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Azalo

Azalo Legend

Oct 24, 2006
    Anyone else had this problem? I have noticed that a lot of people seem to have the issue with HD channels. for me it happens on Noggin, Nick, Sprout (i have little kids obviously) those channels are unwatcheable, also happens on RSN. I havent tried evry channel but I have had 0 issues with HD or locals. My signal strength readings are in the 90s. Is there a particular transponder/sat I should be checking. I havent tried removing the b-band thing yet but just wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts on this. CSR just told me to RBR.

2. mikereznm

mikereznm Cool Member

Jul 11, 2007
    I've got the same problem. Happens almost every night on all HD channels ( 70's) as well as CBS west coast feed and local NBC Albuquerque feed. It's not weather or obstructions with dish, nor loose connections, nor signal strength (90's) or water in fittings all taped and sealed.
    Would appreciate any suggestions from the brain trust out there.

3. kmkraft_1974

kmkraft_1974 Legend

Feb 13, 2006
    got the same issue (70's). in my case, its isolated to the sat 1 input. I've tried to remove the B-band converter, which seemed to help, but the "drops" are back tonight :(

I have a technician coming out on saturday. hopefully, we'll figure something out. I'll post back if we find the silver bullet.

4. sticketfan

sticketfan Legend

Apr 25, 2007
    Vermont
    in the last week i have been getting the same problems with non hd stations,381 tonight and then various other channels tonight. very annoying this better get worked out before football season. at first i liked the new hr20-100 but in the last couple of weeks, i dont know....

5. 84jeepjohn

84jeepjohn New Member

Jun 14, 2007
    well I've got the same issues. My son said "Dad, you better get this fixed before Mom see's it" LOL

Mine is on G4 and a few other SD channels. It's frustrating when you recorded something and then you get the audio drops and the pixalation (and bad spelling)

6. Azalo

Azalo Legend

Oct 24, 2006
    i took out the b-band converters and so far it seems fixed. anyone know what the b-band converters are/will be used for?

7. kmkraft_1974

kmkraft_1974 Legend

Feb 13, 2006
  8. Dknow

Dknow AllStar

Oct 11, 2006
    They will be used to downconvert frequencies that your receiver will be able to comprehend for all of the new national HD content that will supposedly be launching in September. In other words........You need 'em.

9. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    "up convert" 250-750 MHz to [I think] 1650-2150 MHz.

10. mikereznm

mikereznm Cool Member

Jul 11, 2007
    Called D**TV and scheduled a service call for Mon. Dtech says it sounds like the HR20 is defective and will request that the sub they use in New Mexico bring another hr20 with him to switch out. Also they will check cable into house and connections. Fingers crossed, will post mon. on outcome.

11. kmkraft_1974

kmkraft_1974 Legend

Feb 13, 2006
    great. If this is truly the case, DTV is gonna have a lot of receivers to replace.

12. bobcpa

bobcpa Cool Member

Jan 7, 2007
    As I posted in one of the other forums, I believe this has nothing to do with the HR20. I have the same issues with another TV in my house which receives signals through an H20 box.

13. kenva

kenva Mentor

Dec 29, 2006
    I had same problem and also isolated it to sat input 1. I didn't matter which line from the satelite I used or if the B-band converter was on. It only had problems on Sat input 1 so I concluded that it was a hardware problem with the HR20. I called D* and they FedExed me a new (referbished) one. I just got it all set up last night. So far it looks good, but it hasn't been long enough to say for sure.

14. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Not knowing what you posted "there": if you have signals breaking up on two receivers, it sounds like a dish, cabling, multi-switch problem.
    What are your transponder levels?

15. Azalo

Azalo Legend

Oct 24, 2006
    well i thought removing the b-band converters worked but it didn't, some of the channels that didn't work before (noggin) are good now but others still have issues (nick). I called CSR and they want me to try hard reboot, checking connections, etc and if it still doesnt work they will send a tech out at no charge since it was only installed a week ago, post move.

16. kmkraft_1974

kmkraft_1974 Legend

Feb 13, 2006
    In an attempt to try and determine if there is a pattern to these issues, it might make sense for everybody to post their particular situation to the thread listed below. This may show a pattern that the random posting on 5 or 6 different threads isn't really showing too well:

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=91888

17. 0x1b

0x1b New Member

Jul 18, 2007
    Hi!

I have been having much the same issues as those reported by others. Yesterday, I performed accessed the Test & Info screen and noticed that the receivers internal temperature had soared to 172 degrees. This seemed much too high and so I set a cooling fan in front of the (normally closed) cabinet and after about an hour, the temperature had dropped to 104 degrees and "voila", the problem seemed to go away.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.