1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Audio Dropouts

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by PlanetBill, Dec 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PlanetBill

PlanetBill Icon

May 8, 2006
    I know this is an issue with the recent CE's, but I'm on the NR. Tthis has been happening on a more regualr basis the last week or so.

While watching TV from the buffer, then trick play to live, the audio drops out every few
    seconds. I have to use skip back to cure it.
    Real annoying. I wish it would go away.

2. cody21

cody21 Icon

Sep 26, 2007
    call or email DirectTV and let them know you're getting this. Seems to be the only thing we can do right now. Many of us are seeing these Audio Dropouts (and lip sync) issues going on.

3. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    It is being worked on. The simple solution is to do a quick pause/play. That resolves the issue 99% of the time.

And, yes, DirecTV is working on this issue.

4. Monty23

Monty23 Icon

Sep 16, 2006
    You can also just change channels and then right back again to your channel and the problem will go away.

5. gcisko

gcisko I am Iron Man!

Sep 27, 2006
    These type of things have been around for me since day one in Sept 06. So I almost see them as a feature now.

6. gcisko

gcisko I am Iron Man!

Sep 27, 2006
    Really. How exactly do you know? It has been essentially the same for the past 16 months. My wife is very upset about it and givesme grief all the time. So any news you have that this is actually being worked on would be a welcome event.

7. homerdodge

homerdodge New Member

Sep 9, 2007
    Phillipsburg...
    In just the past week or two, and not before that I recall, I've have had two occasions where the audio dropped out completely on a channel. I don't normally have audio dropout or audio/video sync issues on our HR20-700.

The audio dropout was due to our Rotal pre-pro not being able to sync with the digital audio data stream, as indicated by the Rotel's display showing it constantly trying to sync-up. The pre-pro was unable to re-sync, causing a "permanent" loss of audio.

As others have posted, once I changed the channel, it cleared up.

This is different from the infrequent blip in the data stream from the satellite, or when changing channels that cause the data stream to change, such as going from a DD stream to a PCM stream. In those cases, the pre-pro has to re-sync, causing about a 1 second dropout, but that is the nature of the pre-pro. It is not a failing of the HR-20, or its predessor HR10-250 and prior DVR units we've had over time, with which the Rotel pre-pro behaved similarly.

8. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    Because it's being reported here and in the ce threads and the developers do take those reports seriously - ask Earl if you don't believe me. Besides, it had been mostly eliminated in the past few releases, not sure why you're seeing it on the current national release.

Regardless, there is a simple fix you can do yourself - press pause then play - doesn't take but a second.

9. Maruuk

Maruuk Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Just got my HR21. Audio drops out frequently on mode changes for 5-10 seconds (like from FF to PLAY) then it catches up like a sped up tape jumble. Some kind of buffer problem obviously. What a piece of crap.

10. Maruuk

Maruuk Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    So what's the big picture here? Is DTV saying that the audio problems are their software and not the 20/21 hardware? So we can't solve the problem by swapping out for a new unit?

11. Dr. Booda

Dr. Booda Godfather

Jun 18, 2007
    Not sure what the official DTV party line is currently, but I’ve read everything else blamed for the problem on this forum as of late (provider signal, uplink issue, MP4 encoding issue, user’s A/V system) except for the box and the software. I’ve seen this problem for at least a year through a cycle of 4 HR20 and 1 HR21 units, and whatever it is, my HR10 wasn’t as susceptible to it.

12. Maruuk

Maruuk Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Hm, so it could be hardware, firmware or both on the HR2X series.

13. gcisko

gcisko I am Iron Man!

Sep 27, 2006
    You think is it being fixed because it is being reported here? That is very generous of you :lol: The vertical stretch problem was widely reported here and never fixed. OK it was fixed in an accidental way because now everyone is watching digital HD channels. But it never actually got fixed. And I never saw anything in any CE release note that indicated it was worked on or fixed. So far I have not seen anything in any CE release related to audio issues. Apparently adding more button presses to get to TODO is more important. :eek2:

I get audio dropouts and sync issues even with live TV - always did.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.