1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Audio levels

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by lparsons21, Mar 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    I just got back from a trip and have noticed an oddity that wasn't there before. And I already had L355 loaded before this showed up.

The volume levels of various classes of channels is quite different. Here's what I'm hearing :

1. Satellite locals - loudest
    2. Non-Premium Movie channels - slightly softer than sat locals
    3. Movie channels - quite low levels. I have to bump my surround up quite a bit to have an enjoyable level of output.
    4. HD Channels -- same as the movie channels

I'm using optical out to a Pioneer HTIB. There was always a bit of a difference in channels, but the movie and hd channels seem to be lower now than before.

Anyone else noticing this?

2. steelhorse

steelhorse Legend

Apr 27, 2004
    I have noticed that. I think it has to do with with the type of audio being sent. It seems to be worse when it switches between dolby d and dolby pro logic.
    I wish they would put a software control that would stabilize audio levels like some tv's have.

3. rfowkes

rfowkes AllStar

Nov 8, 2004
    The audio level differences between DD5.1 and non DD5.1 commercials are extremely annoying. Most noticeable on FOX-HD where the commercials volume level blows you out of your seat. FOX-HD has other audio issues (dropouts, etc.) so this may be related.

4. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    I am aware of the audio level differences between DD5.1 and ProLogic. But this is different. On the movie channels, most times only the lead channel is in 5.1 (like HBO-E) and the rest are not. Therefore, the volume levels on the lead channels should be in line with the HD channels, and they are. But the other channels are in ProLogic and should be louder, they aren't. They are lower, much lower, than it was just a week ago.

On the HD and movie channels, I have to nearly 2-block the volume to get decent output. This is certainly much lower than it was.

One test I haven't done yet is to change to coax audio. With that, all channels would be in prologic (or not multi-channel) at all and I should see a nearly constant volume level. I do realize that there will be some differences, just not so large.

5. Antknee

Antknee Legend

Oct 13, 2005
    I have this problem with the 942 also.

6. Ken Wilhelm

Ken Wilhelm Cool Member

Feb 3, 2006
    My audio levels on Dobly Digital vary to much. the HD locals vary the most - even during the same show, such as the evening news. Also vary alot between movies and commericals. I'd pay $100 more for a add on to the 622 to control the audio levels.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.