1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Audio Popping during many functions . . .

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by FarmerBob, Dec 17, 2013.

1. FarmerBob

FarmerBob Godfather

Nov 27, 2002
    I get a pop in the audio when I use Skip Forward, Skip Back, Pause, go to the guide or any access windows where the picture gets moved up into the upper left corner. It even happens when I press the Skip button repeatedly quickly before the picture changes. And it pops with each press as the little "skip 10" flashes. I have tried various inputs on my AVR trying to track this down. But it's all the same.

Just wondering if anyone has come across this?

2. mthhurley

mthhurley Cool Member

Jan 10, 2008
    Mine does this on my slightly older Sharp HD set via HDMI. That set is connected via a Joey. My other 3 tvs (2 Hoppers and one Joey) do not do this.

3. FarmerBob

FarmerBob Godfather

Nov 27, 2002
    I did a further test because I mainly use my DLP as a monitor only and not a total viewing device with all audio going through the AVR. All tests with many and any hook up options all had a pop of some kind that I did not experience with the 722 that I had since September 2008. It's tracing to when the HwS dumps the program codec to stereo for a second during the skip, pause, picture change processes. I have noticed that the codec type changes on the display on my AVR during these operations when the pop happens. The AVR is 9 months old, while the DLP is 5 years old. But they all pop. Well more of a record tick. I'm thinking it's a HwS bug, because it's the only piece of gear in the system that does this.

4. j_t

j_t Cool Member

Sep 3, 2008
    I also had this same issue on my HiSense TV, but none of the others. I was able to get rid of the popping by changing the Audio settings on the Hopper or Joey (whichever is connected the TV) from Dolby Surround to PCM only.

5. FarmerBob

FarmerBob Godfather

Nov 27, 2002
    Although my AVR is PCM capable, I have noticed that with all the HD boxes from DISH that I have had, PCM is a fleeting thing. It only works with Optical Out, or you get nothing, or you lose Surround Sound and only get stereo from the AVR. I've played with that before posting here and have also found that it depends on the product you are viewing and what they are sending it as and what DISH is passing on. It varies.

ALSO, lately I have really noticed that the volume from channel to channel can be deadly. And this is a DISH and network issue. There instances where it's just the networks and DISH does not accommodate the difference. Like having Aljazzera tune in and watching a recorded program and when it's over or you go to the DVR and the AJ audio hits, it HITS. But then there's the ones like Comedy Central, where they have some on their programming in Stereo and when it goes to a SS commercial you get blown out. So with all this it makes the CALM Act a moot point. Plus I have noticed that commercials are louder now. So not only is a moot point, but a null one.

6. chriscpmtmp

chriscpmtmp Legend

May 13, 2006
    I have this when my audio was though HDMI. My processor let me use the video from HDMI, but use the audio from an optical connection. Since there is only lossy audio from the hopper anyhow, I was OK with this "patch".

7. FarmerBob

FarmerBob Godfather

Nov 27, 2002
    That's the way I had it before I got the HDMI AVR. I have all the cabling to do optical and probably will since as you point out there is only one audio source. I have seen other posts where people are having this or similar issues and they are being told that there is a fix in the next SW release. Of which I submitted a report to a product services rep that "shot it up the ladder". And I included links to the others with issues. So we'll see if there is a "patch" in the next release. Until then I guess that optical is the only course until it's fixed.

Thanks . . .
    . . . fb

8. FarmerBob

FarmerBob Godfather

Nov 27, 2002
    I ran a TOS cable from the DVR and my AVR and after some "creative finagling" I got the AVR to pull the optical audio, it wanted keep pulling it from the HDMI, and the pop is still there. I did noticed that the audio did sound a bit better. It would play through any input selection where the input port is selected for that input type. So even though there was no picture with it I tried it on several inputs and got the pop with all.

So I would like to say that it's all the Pioneer AVR, but since it only happens with the DISH HwS, it is a DISH issue. That I understand is known, I told them, and is suppose to be addressed in a future FW update. So we'll see.