1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Audio/video freezing up

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by jrob529, Jul 10, 2013.

1. jrob529

jrob529 New Member

Feb 1, 2007
    Audio/video freezing up on my new genie. It replaced the previous model a few days ago for the same issue. So, needless to say, I don't think it's the receiver. The replacement is an hr44. Any thoughts? I've switched out the hdmi cable with no success. When it first starts happening, the menu screen will turn from a black background to white. The freezing occurs with both live broadcasts and DVR programs. It also occurs on all channels. I've had 3 techs come out to fix it and the only they've done is switched out the receiver with no success.

2. Datagg

Datagg Legend

May 17, 2009
    Mesa, AZ
    I have had 2 bad 34's do the same thing.... now this one is also, so we are working on a 3rd now... Completely conceivable on all levels in my book.

3. jrob529

jrob529 New Member

Feb 1, 2007
    Thanks. It's strange how it will work for hours with no issues and then freee. I thought it might be the power inverter but I'm grasping at straws.

4. ticmxman

ticmxman Legend

Aug 27, 2007
    My HR44 has frozen on recording playback a few times in its first week of service. A short rewind fixes the problem. I think this is a software bug that will be fixed in future downloads, a little annoying but no big deal.

5. Datagg

Datagg Legend

May 17, 2009
    Mesa, AZ
    at least you can regain your show.. when my first 1, and second one... well see on the 3rd, just locks up from live tv upon unpause is an epidemic they refuse to acknowledge. i still hold out that one day there will be a fix, but i wont hold my breath.

6. jrob529

jrob529 New Member

Feb 1, 2007
    The tech apparently found the problem- it was a defective power strip. His supervisor has seen the same issue a few times but it is unusual. Has anyone heard of this?

7. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    A bad power strip? Yeah,. seen those many times, its not all that uncommon. Most that cost less the $20 aren't built to last forever, especially if you have a lot of power swings and surges. Look at it this way, why do so many high end ones only come with a few years warranty? ;) And every time you turn on a tv or av receiver, you have a power surge.

8. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Never plug your dvr into a power strip, buy a reasonably priced ups or HT power conditioner type unit instead.

1 person likes this.
  9. Tygh

Tygh New Member

May 7, 2006
    What is considered reasonable for an HT power conditioner? I just experienced sticker shock!!

10. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    They typically start around a few hundred dollars, especially if you find some on sale. But you can literally plug your entire entertainment center gear into it. You're probably going to pay $150 or more for a decent UPS as well so its potatoe potato.

11. ticmxman

ticmxman Legend

Aug 27, 2007