1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Auto Pay and Debit Cards Charged When Billed

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by ronsanjim, Jun 29, 2010.

1. ronsanjim

ronsanjim Godfather

Mar 18, 2008
    Cherokee...
    Just signed up for auto pay (for the free hd), and I read where credit cards are billed when the billing date is reached, and the debit card is billed a few days prior to the Due date. Unfortunately, I found that to be incorrect, as my Paypal debit card was charged on the billing date.

I called D* and was told there is no rule that debit cards are charged "a few days prior to due date". The CSR stated it may occur with some accounts, but is not specifically true with all billing.

So be aware, signing up for debit card auto pay, may generate immediate payment on the billing date for your account.

2. ciurca

ciurca Godfather

Apr 14, 2009
    I switched to ABP with my bank's debit card, and the payment came out on the due date.

3. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    My credit card has always been charged on the billing date. I'm lucky because of my card's billing cycle, I then get 40 days to pay the bill. It's a non-issue for me.

4. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    This is fairly normal behavior with autopay. Getting that money early is one of the reasons business like autopay so much.

5. ronsanjim

ronsanjim Godfather

Mar 18, 2008
    Cherokee...
    Unfortunately, it was an issue for me, as I had a 0 balance on that Paypal card (since I had read here that D* wouldn't take it until some 3 weeks after my billing date). Was going to transfer funds to that Paypal account in plenty of time for that "auto pay". Paypal was my choice as I didn't want D* to have my bank debit card, for obvious reasons.

6. Hoosier205

Hoosier205 Active Member

Sep 3, 2007
    Yes, please be aware that you should have the appropriate funds available when using auto-pay. Otherwise it is just auto-non-pay.

7. ATARI

ATARI Hall Of Fame

May 10, 2007
    I'll never get tired of repeating this:

Setup a bill pay account with your bank and pay D* on the day the bill is due.

That way you get to keep your money as long as possible.

8. ciurca

ciurca Godfather

Apr 14, 2009
    That's how my household has done it, until I had to use ABP for the 24 month free HD credit. I wish I didn't have to, but I like $240 total.

9. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    You should say, 'this is fairly normal behavior for Direct's autopay', I know of no other autopay system that charges prior to you being able to even see the bill, and certainly not before the bill is actually due and payable. It was one of the minor irritants I had when I was with D*.

10. Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon Hall Of Fame

Aug 17, 2006
    The amount that is expected to come out, is always online a couple of weeks before the deduction is made. Not real complicated IMO.

11. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    But the bill is not due when they take the money. And if you change things around a bit, you get to fumble around the various credits and debits trying to figure out what wild accounting scheme they are using.

As I said, it was a minor irritant.

12. Jon J

Jon J Grouch Extrordinaire

Apr 22, 2002
    Music City, USA
    Mine is somehow different. My monthly online list of charges and credits is not available until the actual monthly billing date. According to posts here a credit card would be charged at the same time giving no chance to review the coming charges even though the so called pay by date is a few days in the future.

13. Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon Hall Of Fame

Aug 17, 2006
    Hmm. I looked back, I am able to see statements on the 14th, which are set as "due" on the 28th. My auto pay deduction has been 29th-1st.

14. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    Either you're account is handled differently, or they've changed how they do things. Mine was always charged to my CC a day before the bill was available to view, and generally 2 days before they emailed saying the bill was ready to view.

15. MarkN

MarkN Legend

Jul 13, 2007
    I don't get it. I consider the money already spent each month even before I get the bill, so what is the big deal about keeping your money as long as possible, its going to be spent sooner or later.

16. gfrang

gfrang Hall Of Fame

Aug 29, 2007
    I just checked my billing date and looks like it's gets billed on the 5TH oft the mouth.

I don't how to say this but fore the life of me i could never figure out my bill it's different every mount.

Maybe if i was still working and it was tax deductible i could give it to my accountant to figure out. But this is way over my head.

So i just hope for the best.:confused:

17. diggerg56

diggerg56 Legend

Sep 26, 2007
    Do they not let newer accounts enroll in autoPay using a bank account anymore? My account has been that way for a long time and it's never deducted until just before the due date.

18. ATARI

ATARI Hall Of Fame

May 10, 2007
    It's called Interest.

19. ronsanjim

ronsanjim Godfather

Mar 18, 2008
    Cherokee...
    But how does that qualify for the Free HD for 24 months? Sure your bill is paid by your bank, on the day YOU designate, but how does that meet the stipulation that D* is on auto pay with credit/debit card, or bank account? When signing up for the bank account option with D*, there is no date that you can request for payment. So how did you qualify for the Free HD if you enable your bank to make the payment on the day you designate?

20. Xsabresx

Xsabresx Icon

Oct 8, 2007
    Which amounts to pennies if you pay the bill when it cuts versus the actual due date.