1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Auto-Pay and Free HD Question - What if I take off Auto-Pay during the 24 months?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by SunDevil2012, Aug 20, 2010.

1. SunDevil2012

SunDevil2012 Cool Member

Mar 17, 2010
    Straight forward question. Say I get fed up with the whole auto-pay bull and decide to go back to paying for everything as I did before -manually.

Will I lose the Free HD for 24 months and/or then get charged a fee?

2. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Considering auto pay is one of the conditions of getting free HD, I would tend to think so.

You back out on part of your end of the deal, they do the same.

3. Bofurley

Bofurley Godfather

Oct 11, 2006
    KS
    You will lose it!
    That is the message that I received!

4. txtommy

txtommy Icon

Dec 30, 2006
    The postcard that I received stated:

"A Reminder About Your Free HD Access
    To continue to receive FREE HD Access, you simply need to maintain the following on your DIRECTV account during the 24-month offer period.
    1. Auto Bill Pay
    2. CHOICE package or higher
    3. At least one HD Receiver and HD Access.
    Failure to maintain these requirements will result in the $10 per month HD Access credit being removed from your account."

5. dcowboy7

dcowboy7 Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2008
    Pequannock, NJ
    Just have your directv bill go on your credit card & that qualifies as autopay.

This way it doesnt get paid until you actually pay your credit card bill.

6. ronsanjim

ronsanjim Godfather

Mar 18, 2008
    Cherokee...
    Thats one way of looking at it, if you want your card (credit or debit) charged on the day your bill is printed.

7. RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    True, but who ends up actually paying the cash for their bill later and receives airline miles or other rewards points for every dollar spent? The credit card auto-pay customer and that's why I'm set up that way.

8. Jon J

Jon J Grouch Extrordinaire

Apr 22, 2002
    Music City, USA
    Exactly my problem with having the charge go through before I have checked the accuracy of the bill. What is your remedy if there is a mistake?

9. narcolept

narcolept Godfather

Mar 1, 2007
    You call, resolve it, and they credit the card..

Pretty much either method of resolution hinges on DirecTV accepting your issue and dispute and resolving it.

If you don't pay your paper bill by the time it's due, even if you're disputing it, you're going to get a late charge which you have to dispute as well.

Depending on your statement closing date for your CC, being on auto-pay, you have the time until that date + the period between that and the next one before a finance charge is assessed.

Therefore, Auto-Pay actually gives you more time to dispute incorrect charges when using a credit card; You'd also be eligible for a $10/mo HD credit.

10. tsduke

tsduke Godfather

Mar 20, 2007
    Credit card is the only way to do auto pay IMO.

Directv's way of doing auto pay is a joke and completely backwards. Auto pay shouold print a normal bill each month and pull the funds on a later agreed upon date.

If memory serves me Dish was doing it that way a couple years ago when I had them.

11. bixler

bixler Hall Of Fame

Oct 14, 2008
    PA
    I believe they credit your account if there is a dispute, not giving credit back directly to the card that was charged. You get the credit in the end but it I'm pretty sure it doesn't go straight to the credit card.

12. tsduke

tsduke Godfather

Mar 20, 2007
    In the end you are correct, but doesn't the "bill - delay - charge" method seem much more up front, honest and just right?

13. narcolept

narcolept Godfather

Mar 1, 2007
    This isn't some elaborate scheme to mis-charge people and collect their money in a nefarious way.

I think the tin-foil hats are too tight.

Regarding the "crediting of account", rather than the card: Until you pay the CC bill, it's still a virtual thing.

With the standard grace period, you can just wait until your next bill with the credit hits the card 30 days later, as long as the second statement date doesn't occur, you can pay both at the same time, and end up in the same spot in the end.

14. tsduke

tsduke Godfather

Mar 20, 2007
    I completely disagree with it being the same. If Directv had a delay between bill and charge you only have to worry about checking that Directv adjusted your bill, not your bill and cc.

No tin foil hats involved. I just don't see how one can agree that there is a right way to do this. If they did it right customers would feel they have to use credit cards for auto pay.

15. narcolept

narcolept Godfather

Mar 1, 2007
    That is your choice.. I don't understand what stomping your feet on a message board is doing about it though.

Either you sign up for auto-pay and get a credit, or you don't and don't.

16. tsduke

tsduke Godfather

Mar 20, 2007
    I'm not stomping my feet anymore than you are. To each there own cuz I don't understand why people choose to be such fan boys who accept anything Directv does as golden and right.

17. Jon J

Jon J Grouch Extrordinaire

Apr 22, 2002
    Music City, USA
    Your fascination with and support of DirecTV is noted. Some, in this instance, don't share it. Off to shine my hat.

18. RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    If you sign up for auto pay with your bank account, it will debit your account on the agreed upon date. So if the date it posts is a concern for anyone, sign up this way.

With a credit card, DIRECTV pays a fee to the credit card company in the 1% range. They probably debit the day of your statement to get the funds sooner & earn a bit of interest to offset the fee.

I still like the CC route, because I pay my CC off every month. My bill is posted to my CC on the 9th, my DIRECTV bill is supposed to be due on the 29th. I don't pay my CC bill until the 10th of the following month. So I'm actually paying it 11 days later then I agreed to and getting reward points on my CC. And if my bill is ever wrong (which it hasn't been in the 2 yrs I've had DIRECTV), I can dispute the charge and the CC company won't make me pay it until its resolved.

19. narcolept

narcolept Godfather

Mar 1, 2007
    I don't see how this is "fan boy" or "fascination".

It's 2010. I pay all the bills I can automatically with a credit card, and pay that each month. I get rewards points and use them, when I could pay directly to each one, have to pay each individually and get nothing in return other than a receipt.

On the odd chance that there's an issue, I'd call and have it corrected. No need to get up in arms. How many times, month to month, does your bill change for no reason?