1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Auto-select SD or HD

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by SlicerMDM, Sep 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SlicerMDM

SlicerMDM AllStar

Feb 12, 2003
    Just replaced the my HDTivo with a HR20-700. Pretty pleased with it so far but have a question.

In the guide I'll see something like this for DFW local channel 5:

5 KXAS
    5 DL5
    5-1 KXAS-DT
    5-2 DXAS...

From what the installer said, the first option "5 KXAS" will automatically display the HD signal if the show is in HD, otherwise it shows the SD signal. So, choosing this one channel displays the best signal available and I don't have to manually determine whether it's HD or SD and choose "5 DL5" or "5-1 KXAS-DT" to get the right signal. Sounds like a good idea but it doesn't seem to work.

It appears to always display the HD signal. When an HD program is on it looks fine, in HD. When an SD program is on it appears with pillars. Pressing the format button does nothing .. ie: can't cycle between crop, pillars, stretch.

I'm thinking our local channels might always be transmitting an HD signal, even when SD shows are on .. ie: it simply transmits SD with pillars as the HD signal. If this is the case I wonder if that's confusing the HR20, making it think it's always HD.

Anyway, I'm just wondering if this auto-select functionality works for anyone?

As crappy as stretched SD TV looks on my 65' TV, I rarely watch with the pillars.

2. john13154

john13154 Mentor

Apr 4, 2007
    Does the same thing for me. From what I've read, for the locals sending a digital signal, if it's not HD, its an SD broadcast on a digital channel so it wont show in 16:9. Thats how I understand it, any further clarification would be welcome.

3. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    It looks like a future software version for HR20 will give you the ability to automatically suppress SD channels if an HD mirror is available. You'll still have the OTA (you can turn it off in Antenna Setup if you want).

It's on the horizon... didn't make it into the last download though.

4. PoitNarf

PoitNarf New Member

Aug 19, 2006
    AFAIK, any channel which broadcasts in HD can't change between a SD and HD signal. They always broadcast a widescreen image, even if that image includes the black pillar bars. If you want to use the format options, choose the SD version of the channel if available.

5. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    About a year ago, there were some people posting that their HD locals actually switched from 720/1080 to 480i during commercial breaks. Said they could see the mode change on the TV. Searching didn't find me any results but I distinctly remember reading it.

6. mtnagel

mtnagel Hall Of Fame

Sep 18, 2006
    But will recording the HD feed of an SD show use the same about of hard drive space as an HD show? I'm assuming yes, so whenever I can, I record the SD channel for SD shows.

7. Hoxxx

Hoxxx Cool Member/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 19, 2004
    [q
    5 KXAS
    5 DL5
    5-1 KXAS-DT
    5-2 DXAS...

Fr

Anything with a -1 is the primary local digital OTA feed. this is the one I use all the time. I get all my locals and PBS with the antenna. also I know the picture quality is better. The locals from D* come in handy during a 2 local record event. as far as the pillars go no local is HD all the time yes it is a digital feed but a SD feed. I used to stretch the screen to get rid of the pillars but grew tired of the look. so I just leave it alone now and enjoy what does come through as real HD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.