1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Autocorrect for power failure?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by rsteinfe, Aug 18, 2010.

Tags:
  1. rsteinfe

rsteinfe Legend

May 7, 2005
    We were away from home for 10 days, and returned to flashing digital clocks. Apparently there was a power failure while we were away.

I checked my list of recorded programs, and one looked unusual. I had 3 copies of the same episode of "Rizolli & Isles." When I looked more closely, I found that the first recording was of the initial 25 minutes, the second was the final 17 minutes. The third was the complete episode from the midnight showing. (I had set the 10 PM showing to record.)

Seems like my HR20-100 recognized that there was an interruption in the 10 PM recording, and recorded the midnight showing. Never saw this happen before. Is this a new feature, or have I missed it in the past?

2. Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon Hall Of Fame

Aug 17, 2006
    I've seen it break them up, but not record a third full. Thats pretty cool, if thats what happened.

I'm a nut, and have mine on battery backups :D

3. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008

They need to add auto bump as well so if the tuner are in use but the same show is on like 2-3 H later recode that one.

4. Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon Hall Of Fame

Aug 17, 2006
    It does do that. If you set your Series Manager up properly.

5. DogLover

DogLover Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    It will do that. Just make sure you put the one that plays later as a lower priority, and it will record the later showing.

Edit: Oops, didn't see that it was answered already.

6. VARTV

VARTV Godfather

Dec 14, 2006
    Virginia...
    Our HT has a UPS too. Just last week the power went out for about 20 seconds, we just continued watching TV. With no UPS, we would have to wait for the STB to power cycle back up...

7. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    Similar thing happened to me this weekend. Returned home to all blinking clocks, etc. Power apparently had been lost for about 13 hours. The HR20-700 was fine. The HR22-100 would not properly boot up. I had to run through the initial setup (telling the unit what sat dish I had, etc.). Had never had to do that before after other power outages.

8. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    My guess is that since the 10 PM showing had been interrupted and continued once power was restored that the reason the later showing recorded was that the program guide had flushed when the unit rebooted and was still rebuilding at midnight and that the program information was still at the 'No information available' stage. As such, it didn't recognize that it had already been recorded.

The DVR doesn't have the logic built in to record a full program showing later because the original had not recorded in it's entirety. ;)

9. rsteinfe

rsteinfe Legend

May 7, 2005
    That makes sense to me. I thought that this would be a great new feature, but was suspicious since I would expect lots of bragging about this ability if it did exist.