1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automatic Updates?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by coit, Aug 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coit

coit Legend

Feb 13, 2007
    I asked this in another thread, but didn't get a reply, so I'm trying again...

Is there a way to control when/how the units download and install updates. I was surprised to see that my -100 had updated itself without any intervention on my part.

Given that some folks have lost all their recordings due to an update, it would be nice to at least have the opportunity to catch up on shows before risking everything to an update.

I haven't had to worry about stuff like this since I had a DISHPlayer 5 years ago....

2. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    Sorry but no there is not. When DirecTV pushes a update to the receiver it will ask if it is ok to start downloading. But you only have a few minutes to stop it. Even if you do stop it the update will try again a little while later.

3. houskamp

houskamp New Member

Sep 14, 2006
    1st it is rare that you loose recordings on an update (even rarer on a national release)
    2nd no there is no way to control updates..

4. TriggerDeems

TriggerDeems Godfather

Mar 1, 2007
    Nope, you can't control it--it is automatic. Lately the updates have been pretty solid and not many have had problems. Purely speculating on my part, but I might think the update rates will slow way down soon, as things are working pretty well now.

5. coit

coit Legend

Feb 13, 2007
    Thanks for the replies. That was primarily my concern. The unit is working well for me so far, so I don't see a need to update the software.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

I specifically waited 8 months to get this sucker until the worked out the kinks....

6. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Automatic updates for HR20 receivers have been about once a month for the last several months. There is nothing you can do to control whether or not you get one. Even if you happen to unplug your satellite lines when an update is coming, you will get it the next night after you plug them back in.

7. tfederov

tfederov Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2005
    With features such as DoD coming soon, you'll see the need to update the software... ;)

8. TriggerDeems

TriggerDeems Godfather

Mar 1, 2007
    We in the DoD are already spread pretty thin, do we have to now guard future updates too? At least you called us a "feature". :D

Obviously, just kidding. I think he means VOD-video on demand.

9. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    A pair of terms are the same in this context: VOD and DOD are both DIRECTV's Video on Demand, marketed as DIRECTV on Demand.

Updates have been very stable lately. Typically the only reason someone loses all their programming has been a hard disk that is in the early stages of failing; a bad situation to be in.

Cheers,
    Tom

10. tfederov

tfederov Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2005
    DIRECTV on Demand.....

... and GO BLUE :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.