1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Autopay not paying?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Machael, May 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Machael

Machael AllStar

Apr 20, 2008
    Just curious here. I don't want to get hit with a late charge.

My account online says my payment due is on 5/13/08. It shows I'm enrolled in autopay and the payment is scheduled for 5/13/08. That was yesterday, and no payment was taken out of my account, nor was a payment applied to the account. The card number is correct.

Is this normal for it to not autopay on the scheduled date? Should I force a manual payment online?

It's my first bill so I don't want to start off with a bad record from the get go....

TIA!

2. Clark143

Clark143 Mentor

Mar 18, 2007
    My DirectPay takes the money out the same day the bill cuts. Don't even get to see what the charges are to dispute before the money is gone. All my other AutoPay accounts take out the money the last day before its late. Don't know if it can be changed or not. Really doesn't bother me, but it goes against the Buy Low, Sell High, Collect Early, Pay Late thing I was tought in college.

3. ansky

ansky Hall Of Fame

Oct 11, 2005
    You might want to call D* just to be safe. Sometimes auto pay can take up to 2 billing cycles to become activated. Plus they may require that your first bill be paid manually.

4. rsteinfe

rsteinfe Legend

May 7, 2005
    Be careful about paying through a CSR. Another recent thread concerned someone who did this and found himself hit with a $5 charge which was not mentioned by the CSR when he made his payment.

5. tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    You typically have a few weeks from when the invoice is printed til the bill is actually due, so I'd give it a few days to see if it goes through before worrying about it. If, after a few days, it still hasn't gone through your bank, I'd call.

It may take a few days to trickle down to your bank - ACH requests (which is what this is) are not real time, or even same-day requests.

6. turey22

turey22 Hall Of Fame

Jul 30, 2007
    I dont know if your aware but you have a 10 day grace period before any late fees are assessed.

7. Interceptor

Interceptor Legend

Jul 19, 2007
    It depends on how you have autopay set up. The consensus here is that if your autopay is set up with a credit card, the charge is entered on the day the statement comes out. If you pay by auto debit from your checking account, the charge is debited on the due date, which is a little over three weeks after the statement date.

Regardless, when I set up autopay shortly after I signed up, the same thing happened to me. I noticed that the due date had passed, and my account hadn't been debited. After about two days, I called, and was told it takes about 30 days to get autopay up and running. Also, in my case, I didn't initially set up autopay when I signed up with DirecTV, but about two weeks later, and they told me I had to make one regular payment first. Not sure why that was, but I did it anyway. No problems since then.

8. sore_bluto

sore_bluto Godfather

Mar 15, 2007
    If you just set up Auto Pay, you need to make a payment. This same thing happened to me. If the 13th is the pay date and you set up the pay date on the 13th, the computer will assume that the 13th is the pay date and begin to start paying the next time it is the 13th. It doesn't make sense, but that is how it works. Look out for a late fee. If you get charged a late fee, call in and get it removed. After all, the whole point of the auto pay setup is so DIRECTV gets paid and you don't get a late fee.

9. ZBM2 ZAR3

ZBM2 ZAR3 Mentor

Apr 1, 2008
    Autopay = Autoproblems

10. NCMAT

NCMAT Godfather

Feb 12, 2007
    My autopay by credit card mysteriously got turned off last month. When I logged into the website it said that my account was past due. Even though my credit card was still listed, the autopay was off. I have been paying with the same credit card for a number of years. It took several calls to finally get it straightened out. All of the CSRs insisted that no one there could have turned it off and it was my fault. They did finally give me a credit for the late charge.

11. jsmuga

jsmuga Godfather

Jan 3, 2008
    New Hope, PA
    Mine did that on my first bill. I had to make a manual payment online . I would call D* but pay online to avoid the CSR payment fee.

12. kjnorman

kjnorman AllStar

Jul 5, 2007
    I had autopay set up and it worked fine for many years. Then in February the expiration on my credit card came and it did not pay. I got a notice and reentered the (same) credit card number but with a new expiration date. It started again. Then a couple of months later it told me that my April bill was late. I checked the autopay and it still had the old expiration date on my card. It was correct as it paid the February and March bills.

It was like someone had done a restore and wiped out the fact that I had changed the expiration date of my card. I changed it again, and so far it has been okay.

Moral of this tale? Keep an eye on your online bill, as I do not trust Directv anymore....

13. Machael

Machael AllStar

Apr 20, 2008
    The thought of callling D* CSR's makes me cringe. The 3 times I tried to get them to add the ST package, only 1 of them actually did do it..... Even though I triple verified with each CSR that it was indeed added. That's a pretty bad success rate considering they boast about being number 1 in customer service.....:confused:

I went ahead an made a one time payment for the ST full price package which is what was showing due.

I will keep an eagle eye on it for the next few months to make sure the auto pay kicks in.

Thanks for the help all!

14. jsmuga

jsmuga Godfather

Jan 3, 2008
    New Hope, PA
    I agree I avoid calling the CSR's as much as possible. Many people seem to have success emailing when you can.

15. CapeCodder

CapeCodder Legend

Mar 19, 2008
    No doubt, email is the way to deal with D*. In my experience, they respond very quickly, sometimes within an hour. And, better yet, you get a documented trail in the event you get handed off to another agent or an issue develops. As to autopay, mine is by credit card, and always hits when the bill is cut, not when it's due - many days separation between the two. And, it has (touch wood) never had a problem.

16. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    Keep on top of it!!

I have been with DirecTV for nearly 14 years and due to some kind of freak incident at DirecTV, my autopay did not do what it was suppose to a couple of months back and nearly caused me a world of pain.

Work through e-mail when at all possible but if you feel comfortable on the phone, CALL! I typically have had good luck with them. Bottom line though is don't let this get to far out of hand..

17. rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007
    I had something similar happen a few months ago. I happened to log in to check my statement to see if all the changes I had made to my account were correct (upgraded a receiver) and I saw a message stating that my bill was past-due. I checked the payment history and it showed my last autopay credit card transaction as “declined”. This is against an AMEX card that I’ve had for 30 years, and I’ve never been declined and would have no reason. I called D*, while had no explanation, but the CSR said re-ran the transaction, re-set autopay, and all is fine. Honestly, I think they have computer glitches. Probably the same programmers working on the HR2x software write their billing software ;)

18. gfrang

gfrang Hall Of Fame

Aug 29, 2007
    Agree but whose Autobroblem is it ? He signed up for autopay that means it is automatic.Do we have to check to see if they want their money?I don't worry about it.

19. rustynails

rustynails Godfather

Apr 24, 2008
    I haven't had any luck with emailing customer support on any subject. Everytime that I do it they say to call customer support. They do respond quickly though.

20. rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007
    LOL! Every time I call D*, I get a follow-up e-mail reminding me that I should try using the website. I guess they just can’t decide how they want to be contacted!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.